English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 04 May 2004, 22:12   #1
ben

has anyone ever completed dungeon quest?

its most likely just me being stupid, but did anyone ever manage to complete dungeon quest?
i could get into the castle without a problem, but never knew where to go after that. and all the tips i ever read just mentioned about the rocks. if there are any gaming geniouses that could give me any tips that would be great.

sorry if i posted this in the wrong place again.

thanks.

Old 05 May 2004, 02:31   #2
IFW

I've completed it, but don't remember after a decade+.
The only thing I remember is that the ending was very poor.
Old 07 August 2006, 00:46   #3
marx

Walkthrough

My reply might come too late for Ben but I just completed Dungeon Quest using the WinUAE emulator and I thought I better donate my findings to the web before I forget. Back then, 15 years ago or so, I also failed completing this game on the real Amiga, mostly due to the crappy parser.

It somehow appears that my walkthrough is incomplete as there are quite a few screens and pick up items that have no use below. I got to the completion screen but probably missed some riddles on the side.

The walkthrough does not always tell you to "search" before you can get and item. You do not always have to "search" or "look <item>" to succeed, but sometimes you do have to type that before the parser lets you proceed. Unless the text says e.g. go 2x east, a direction is meant as go into that direction for one screen only. Also, you can get up to three hints during the game by typing "hint please".

It seems that you only need to get the coin in order to pay the ferryman, all the other items that can be found here had no use to me (a queen of hearts card can be found in the screen south of the start screen, and one south of that is a broadaxe). Also no idea what the little inn is about. To get the coin, go east-south-east from the start screen. You are now outside the stable. Type "search", "take key", "use key", "enter", "search", "take coin". Then "exit" and go 3x west from there to end up at the ferry - "enter". After you have typed in whatever text you end up on the other side.

Once arrived, "take rock". Go east, south, south. Enter "look", "throw rock at lever". Should you miss the lever, go back (north, north, west) and get another rock. Then repeat. Once the drawbridge is down, "enter" and go south. You are now in the arched hall. You will have to get some stuff from the west and south and then return here to go east.

So go west to the storage room and take the shield. I did not need the flint but feel free to take it along. Go back east.

Go 2x south to the writing room. Feel free to take the candle but I did not need it.

Go east to the bedroom, digest the spooky scene (memorize what she says though) and take the codewheel (although you do not really need it with this walkthrough). I did not need the silk rose.

Go west, south to the massive hallway. Feel free to take the ring but I did not need it.

Go west, "search throne", "take sack".

Go back east, then south to the garden. Search and take the torch.

Go 4x north to the Arched Hall, you are back in the screen where I said above that you need to go west and south to collect some stuff. You have done hereby so.

Go east to the dining room. I did not need the sword but can't harm to have one.

Go east, "light torch". Then go south into the secret stairwell. Without the lit torch you would now die. "Go down" to the stairwell base. As far as I know you cannot go back up from here. There are doors to the east and west. The sign above the east door decrypts to "Beware of the minotaur" using the codewheel and leads into a maze which you cannot leave once inside. The directions inside the maze are randomized and you will have to restart the game.

So go west, north, west and you will find your lost friend, well, you don't really know.

Go west, "use sack" to get rid of the dragon. Go west, south into the Idol Room. Feel free to read the book ("Read book", "Use codewheel"), then "jump" to get to the other side of the idol.

"look door", "look box" will get you to a keypad. Remember what the fading woman said? Use the sword, the sword is the key. If you "use sword", you will cause some damage, but "Enter sword" will open the door.

Go east to your final destination. "Search", then repeat "Talk nerd" until the dragon with the guru screen in the back shows and the parser tells you that you have found out what goes wrong in the land. Type "reboot" and the game comleted text starts scrolling.

Yes, the ending is crap. Also, the difficulty of this game comes from the parser and solving riddles is often reduced to figuring out what the parser understands in this particular situation. Beyond that the story line is rather poor, although I found the game rather atmospheric until near the end, especially given the game's minimal design. However I may have missed a few riddles on the way, as said above.

Old 07 August 2006, 23:00   #4
Ironclaw
Banned

I actually completed this game 3 days ago (made a longplay recording)..... because the walktrough I found on the internet was very short... I read it while playing it for the first time... encoded it and upped it today when I saw this thread.... This game sucks .

The link to the movie: http://recordedamigagames.ath.cx/mod...dex.php?id=189

Here's the walkthrough I used... it's short and perfect for getting through the game without trouble:

Quote:
Dungeon Quest - Solve
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quick Commands
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

South
Search
Get Card
South
Search
Get Broadaxe
East
East
Search
Drop Broadaxe
Get Key
Use Key
Enter
Search
Get Coin
West
Get Broadaxe
West
South
Enter
Go Bar
Say
Say
North
Exit
North
West
West
Enter
Inventory
Search
Look
Use Broadaxe On Rock
Drop Broadaxe
Get Rock
East
South
Throw Rock

Note: If drawbridge does not come down then go back to Edge of River, use
Broadaxe on some more rocks and repeat process again.

South
South
West
Get Shield
Get Flint
East
South
South
Get Candle
Look Table
Get Parchment
Read Parchment
East
Get Rose
Read Card
Search
Get Codewheel
Examine Codewheel
West
South
Get Ring
South
Search
Get Torch
North
West
Sit
Search Throne
Get Sack

On examining the sack and using the codewheel you will find that it
contains Dragon Nip which dragons crave.

East
North
North
North
East
Get Sword
East
South
Search
Down
Use Codewheel
West
Search
North
Look Hole
West
West
Throw Sack
West
South
Read Book
Use Codewheel
South
Jump
Look Door
Look Box
Use Sword
East
Read Sign
Use Codewheel
Search
Look Person
Look Person
Look Person
Ask Person
Reset Computer
Old 07 August 2006, 23:43   #5
ben111g

WOW, i asked this ages ago, i think in the wrong place and i couldnt get any help. im so pleased to see a solution. This game was my favourite from the Astra pack but i never finished it after getting into the castle either. I loved the graphics and the sound loops (some of them still send a chill down my spine if im playing in the dark). Will be great to finish it, though part of me thinkis it might make me a bit sad.
Old 08 August 2006, 06:18   #6
Ironclaw
Banned

Ohh. I see now it's an old thread, I only posted cuz marx did, so I thought it was a new thread .
Old 08 August 2006, 09:42   #7
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

I always liked the game because of the sound, pictures and bits of humour. It was also the first graphical adventure game I ever saw. I never finished it before because I always got killed by the dragon (didn't know there was a sack with "dragon nip" behind the throne).

I finally completed it today using the walkthrough and now I wish I hadn't. What a total crap ending. It's almost as if the game's programmer got tired of it and just wanted it finished as quickly as possible. What a disappointment.

One strange thing - I followed the walkthrough, but when jumping over the hot coals at the idol, I kept getting killed. I got killed twice, but made it the third time (didn't even save it the first time - d'oh!). It looks like a random thing where sometimes you make it and sometimes you don't. How stupid.
Old 08 August 2006, 12:17   #8
Ironclaw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500
I always liked the game because of the sound, pictures and bits of humour. It was also the first graphical adventure game I ever saw.
Then you just have to play Crime Time... it has funny dialogues all the way through the game . This is also a graphic-text adventure. Have a look:

http://recordedamigagames.ath.cx/mod...dex.php?id=187
Old 12 August 2006, 11:05   #9
Paul
RIP Friends

Moved thread to Problems > prb.Games