English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 22 August 2019, 18:14   #1
Steffest

Code IDE: which?

I feel like this question is asked a million times already, but I couldn't find much useful info after a search, so here it goes:

What would be the best code IDE on Classic Amiga for C?
I'm not looking for a gazillion features but just a decent integrated environment that handles editing multiple textfiles in a project gracefully.

it should:
  • handle multiple files in tabs or some "in-place" alternative (NOT in multiple windows)
  • have a little permanent file browser that just show all files in the folder
  • provide basic syntax highlighting (for C)
  • decent search features that searches across multiple files

optional features, nice to have but not mandatory:
  • proper support for hi-res RTG screen modes
  • launch the build command from the IDE (or an integrated shell)
  • some light form of autocomplete (for C)
  • integrated debugger

I'm using Clion by Jetbrains outside the Amiga.
Clearly I don't expect anything like that on the Amiga but I just want a comfortable IDE/text editor that I can use on my souped-up Amigas (Vampire or other RTG ones)

Anyone else still coding on the Amiga or do you all use win/mac/linux editors?
Old 22 August 2019, 18:47   #2
phx
Natteravn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffest View Post
What would be the best code IDE on Classic Amiga for C?
I never used one, so I'm not really qualified to reply, but there are some. Probably one of the best is CubicIDE, because you can configure lots of things, like the compiler to use. Other IDEs, like StormC, are often bound to a specific compiler.

Quote:
handle multiple files in tabs or some "in-place" alternative (NOT in multiple windows)
Most editors can do that. I like loading multiple sources into CygnusEd and switch between them with CTRL-N.

Quote:
have a little permanent file browser that just show all files in the folder
What for? Open a shell and type "dir". Or open your editor's file-requester and load the source text.

Quote:
provide basic syntax highlighting (for C)
Many editors can do that. GoldEd? There are certainly others, but I never needed syntax-highlighting.

Quote:
decent search features that searches across multiple files
Go to your shell and type "search quick #? string".

Quote:
Anyone else still coding on the Amiga or do you all use win/mac/linux editors?
I do. But it doesn't matter whether I'm coding on AmigaOS or Unix. In any case I just need a shell, an editor, a compiler and a Makefile (for projects with more than a single source).
Old 22 August 2019, 18:50   #3
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

You can look at this : Cubic IDE (formerly known as Gold ED <- Look at this link - picture).
Old 23 August 2019, 10:04   #4
zero

I was thinking about trying to get VSCode working with a 68k toolchain and some way to download/run code. Remote debug is probably a stretch though... I don't know, maybe some kind of "Action Replay" like device with a comms port could be built.
Old 23 August 2019, 13:07   #5
MartinW

There are VSCode extensions available for both Amiga C and Amiga ASM now. There are active threads on each right now...
Old 23 August 2019, 13:09   #6
MartinW

Incidentally, I understand that CygnusED is commercial and still available to purchase, therefore not permitted to be shared. The current version (5 is it?) says it's for OS4. Any idea if OS3 versions are still included as well?

I probably won't buy it as it's a bit pricey for me but I'd still like to know (NOT implying anything on price other than it's more than I would like to pay at this time)
Old 23 August 2019, 15:57   #7
Steffest

Thanks for the feedback all!

I tested most of them and currently there are 4 contenders
  • Cubic IDE - clearly the most professional one. Also nice Sas/C integration
  • MicroGoldEd - simple standalone editor but I like the "Modern 24 bit display" version
  • TuiTED - Simple but very elegant and fast. Seems Like exactly the minimal feature set I need.
  • Annotate - very modern, feels nice.

I think I'm going to start with TuiTED and scale up to Cubic IDE If I need more.

And now that I'm typing on real Amiga hardware again, the next thing on the list would be a better keyboard, I guess.
Let the hunt for an AZERTY hi-tek keyboard begin!

Last edited by Steffest; 23 August 2019 at 16:00. Reason: typo