Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 January 2018, 23:51   #21
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Hotline Miami-type game, YES PLEASE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Hotline Miami would work really well on Amiga. Smaller window than Alien Breed for a start.
I'll look into this. It's the player controls that concern me most about doing it as Amiga joystick would be limited to one or two buttons. There's that aim lock think as well and the ability to switch weapons quickly.

Tricky to get right but it could be an interesting challenge.
Old 12 January 2018, 00:25   #22
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
I'll look into this. It's the player controls that concern me most about doing it as Amiga joystick would be limited to one or two buttons. There's that aim lock think as well and the ability to switch weapons quickly.

Tricky to get right but it could be an interesting challenge.
Simple, insist on a cd32 or cd32 style joypad. Why compromise something like that? If people had a decent enough game that really needed it, they would buy one.
Old 12 January 2018, 00:31   #23
mcgeezer

Quote:
Simple, insist on a cd32 or cd32 style joypad. Why compromise something like that? If people had a decent enough game that really needed it, they would buy one.
I suppose it would then need to be aga?

I never had a cd32 but i recall it was just a 1200 with a cd rom. Is that entirely true?

Extra processing power would come in handy though over a 500.
Old 12 January 2018, 00:45   #24
robinsonb5

Quote:
I suppose it would then need to be aga?
CD32 pads work fine on an A500.

The CD32 was effectively an A1200 with CDROM drive - the only other addition was the Chunky to Planar converter that was built into the Akiko chip.
Old 12 January 2018, 16:35   #25
Amiga1992

Quote:
I'll look into this. It's the player controls that concern me most about doing it as Amiga joystick would be limited to one or two buttons.
It's 2012 and anyone not using a CD32 pad or a clone is messing up.
Don't let controller choice stop you from making an awesome game!

Also AGA only is OK too. Most people have A1200s.

Do what you think is best, don't let people moaning for you to support their limited old config determine what you want to do. I's your hobby, and if you feel like a CD32 pad is mandatory, and AGA too, then do it!
There are shitty games made with shitty Backbone that require a 030 and people even pay money for that :/
Old 12 January 2018, 17:01   #26
mcgeezer

Quote:
It's 2012 and anyone not using a CD32 pad or a clone is messing up.
Don't let controller choice stop you from making an awesome game!

Also AGA only is OK too. Most people have A1200s.

Do what you think is best, don't let people moaning for you to support their limited old config determine what you want to do. I's your hobby, and if you feel like a CD32 pad is mandatory, and AGA too, then do it!
There are shitty games made with shitty Backbone that require a 030 and people even pay money for that :/
Did you lose the last four years behind the fridge? If you lose something it's nearly always there. It's 2018.

I'll see if I can source a CD32 pad that works with WinUAE.

I have noticed that a few games written in AMOS and requiring mega amounts of RAM and CPU, i like lean and mean - can't be dealing with these high level 'easy' languages.
Old 12 January 2018, 17:06   #27
Amiga1992

Quote:
Did you lose the last four years behind the fridge? If you lose something it's nearly always there. It's 2018.
Man what the fuck is wrong with me, why did I write 2012??? HAHAHA!!!!

As for pads that work with WinUAE, any of the SNES lookalikes will make for a good replacement for CD32 pad, they all have the necessary amount of buttons.
Personally I have an iBuffalo pad, it's cheap and good. Well recommended.
https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-iBuff.../dp/B002B9XB0E
Old 12 January 2018, 22:26   #28
jotd
This cat is no more

you can support CD32 pad AND the keyboard for the poor sods that can't find a pad.

First, finish bombjack. Only 1 button needed here
Old 12 January 2018, 23:47   #29
ExiE

Quote:
I don't think so. It is easier to find out decent controller for WinUAE, but there are not many good CD32 compatible joypads for real Amigas. And people wont buy new joypad due one game...
Old 13 January 2018, 00:23   #30
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExiE View Post
there are not many good CD32 compatible joypads for real Amigas.
This statement is not true anymore.

At least two people are producing boards to create (or convert) your own CD32 compatible pad, for cheap.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=85056
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111305116419

That should sort almost everyone out.

Also if we all get together and bother robinsonb5 a little bit, he might muster the strength to finish his adapter for Sega Megadrive 6 button -> CD32. I have a test prototype and it works great.

The other fact is that once you have one, the CD32 pad works with A LOT MORE than "just one game". Plenty of WHDLoad installs have been modified to take advantage of a CD32 controller, there's jotd's CD32 , and worst case scenario, any game that takes 2 button input will work with it. So not at all a "one trick pony" kinda purchase.
Old 13 January 2018, 01:05   #31
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
I don't think so. It is easier to find out decent controller for WinUAE, but there are not many good CD32 compatible joypads for real Amigas. And people wont buy new joypad due one game...
disagree. Unless you give people are reason, they won't bother. Lots of WHDLoad installs have support for CD32 pad or compatibles, and they are not that expensive either

Once some decent games start using it, it will encourage people to bother.

EDIT: Akira beat me to it.
Old 13 January 2018, 01:22   #32
ExiE

Quote:
This statement is not true anymore.

At least two people are producing boards to create (or convert) your own CD32 compatible pad, for cheap.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=85056
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111305116419

That should sort almost everyone out.
Again, I don't think so. Galahad said "make a game and people will buy the joypad". Your suggestions are not even out of the box controllers but "make yourself" ones. I am not even sure if Witchmasters project was ever finished, the thread looks dead since May 2017.

I also believe that CD32 pad is great for playing games, but if gamers have not bought it yet, they will not buy it due one more game.

Your optimism is simply unreasonable.
Old 13 January 2018, 17:05   #33
jotd
This cat is no more

Personally I like to buy Amiga hardware without having to solder it myself. So big thumbs up to ready-to-use hardware.
Old 13 January 2018, 18:11   #34
robinsonb5

If you make a game that needs a decent gamepad, then leverage it as another sales option: Digital copy, physical copy and physical copy with bundled gamepad!
Old 13 January 2018, 19:51   #35
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Again, I don't think so. Galahad said "make a game and people will buy the joypad". Your suggestions are not even out of the box controllers but "make yourself" ones. I am not even sure if Witchmasters project was ever finished, the thread looks dead since May 2017.

I also believe that CD32 pad is great for playing games, but if gamers have not bought it yet, they will not buy it due one more game.

Your optimism is simply unreasonable.
I dont think so. There are MANY games that now use a cd32 pad or similar, therefore writing a game that will only function with one is no longer a risk anymore.
Old 13 January 2018, 20:27   #36
donnie

Is the cd32 pad fully compatible with amiga 500. Ie does all buttons work on a500. Or does it just devolve into a 2 button gamepad.
Old 13 January 2018, 20:54   #37
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
Is the cd32 pad fully compatible with amiga 500. Ie does all buttons work on a500. Or does it just devolve into a 2 button gamepad.
All buttons are readable - there's no problem reading one of these from any Amiga.
Old 13 January 2018, 21:05   #38
donnie

That is great.

basically just a question of software.
Old 13 January 2018, 23:01   #39
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:

Also if we all get together and bother robinsonb5 a little bit, he might muster the strength to finish his adapter for Sega Megadrive 6 button -> CD32. I have a test prototype and it works great.
You attracted my attention at this moment. Details plz.
Old 13 January 2018, 23:21   #40
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
You attracted my attention at this moment. Details plz.
It uses a PSOC microcontroller which has a small amount of programmable logic. The microcontroller portion talks to the Sega pad, while the programmable logic duplicates the shift register in a CD32 pad.

http://retroramblings.net/?p=853

Damn, was that really more than 3 years ago?