English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 29 December 2002, 19:01   #1
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Links of the moment

I came down with a very nasty stomach virus over the weekend, which kept me within close proximity to my bathroom, so after I was able to get out of bed, I wasted my weekend surfing mindlessly. I'd all but abandoned retrogaming and emulation sites long ago, since those sites had all become so formula, but there is still hope. Here are some of the highlights of the weekend beach blanket surf-a-rama:

Some great pics of 'real thing' collections:
Roar Collections

A look at the Amiga version of Ghosts 'N Goblins from The Ghoul Realm, a fan page of the series. Also contains very interesting comparisons betwixt the ST and Amiga versions. If you're so inclined after reading this article, just navigate to the home page and you can read more details on this game than you ever thought one person could gather up into a site:
Ghosts 'N Goblins: The 16 bit Amiga and Atari ST versions

The definitive source for all things pinball!
The Internet Pinball Database

From Atari Gaming Headquarters a superb interview with Ed Logg (Tengen programmer of NES Tetris) that peeks into the retro tyranny of Nintendo. A must-read!
Tetris...forever

But that's just a tiny portion of the confusing Tetris debacle. This link details the rest of the messy story:
The Tetris Saga

I counted three references to the Amiga in this bible and they were all derogatory. Aside from that (and the omission of TG-16 titles), this is a good one:
PC Engine Software Bible

Love 'em or hate 'em, Atari will never be forgotten. And whilst many sites have tried to capture the whole spectrum of Atari home gaming under one roof, none have ever come as close as this site. Even if you hate Atari, you have to appreciate the level of detail and information under the hood here! There is no better resource anywhere, IMHO.
AtariAge

Ever wanted to see the full line of FM Towns machines? Or rare PSX units? Ever heard of a PC-FX GA? Ever see the insides of a PC Engine? How about a combo sewing machine/Gameboy unit? If you like Japanese gadgets or hardware, rare computers & game machines, and intelligent yet mild-mannered tech talk, you can't lose here! One of the cleanest designed sites (with several nods to Anime pages), great images, and concise details. You are certain to be enthralled! If you are into computer collecting, this is one of the best sites on the internet! (Akira, I'm looking in your direction...)
ASSEMbler
Old 29 December 2002, 20:05   #2
APFelon
Cable Buyer

HOLY CRAP!!

In the ROAR page, on Solvalos pic, there is a old console game that I used to own as a pre-teen... It was like Combat! for the Atari 2600, but it had two control sticks (like the arcade!) in order to control the "tank". I had all but forgotten about it... Christ, who says Retrogaming holds no surprises anymore?
Old 29 December 2002, 20:54   #3
Withnail

well shows how little I know, I had no idea tetris had all that crap attached!

Old 30 December 2002, 00:13   #4
Ash
Zone Friend

The Ghost and Goblins site is nice
Old 30 December 2002, 01:39   #5
Antiriad
The Sacred Armour Of

I also enjoyed that
Old 30 December 2002, 02:15   #6
Amiga1992

I enjoyed the first link very much!

I see the colections of people to whom I talked to eons ago
Old 30 December 2002, 18:15   #7
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

So far I've seen the AGH site. The only other link I clicked on was the Atrai/Amiga G & G site which is down
At Emu Uk, I have this site on my retrogaming fave link thread. But I never saw this:

The epitome of ugly, he of the slanted "F" keys.
Old 30 December 2002, 18:24   #8
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Twist, I have 2 fave websites chock full of wit and brimming with sarcasm and self effacement. The first is an NES site that is incredibly funny at times. Sardonic and dry. He toys wonderfully with a bloody webring moron in his letter section.

http://www.theredeye.net/index.html

And another juicy site, on defunct systems, with essays, reviews and coolness.

http://www.defunctgames.com/defunctexplorer.htm

Here is a link to my continually edited thread there. I added the PC Engine site.

http://www.total-amiga.com/Vbulletin...0250#post10250
Old 30 December 2002, 19:08   #9
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I am really quite amazed that you didn't add AtariAge, as I've never seen such a beautiful collection of scans, manuals, overlays, screens and info from Atari's golden age. Everything else on the subject pales in comparison, IMHO.

But I still think ASSEMbler was the most amazing link of them all.
Old 30 December 2002, 19:15   #10
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Look closely, Atari Age is definitely in there. Easily one of the most beautifully put together retrogame sites ever. HOL is a thisclose second.
Please look at Redeye.net. Very witty stuff.

Looking at ASSEMbler now. What a fun site! I love the baby NES....
Old 30 December 2002, 19:48   #11
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
Look closely, Atari Age is definitely in there. Easily one of the most beautifully put together retrogame sites ever. HOL is a thisclose second.
Please look at Redeye.net. Very witty stuff.

Looking at ASSEMbler now. What a fun site! I love the baby NES....
Ah...guess I missed it. Indeed a wondefful resource. I still prefer HOL, though. But remember, HOL has only been on for a couple of weeks and is heavily updated daily. It, too, is a labour of lust that will one day be remembered in the history books as...[SNIP!]

Redeye I looked at for a bit, but since I am reading EAB posts as I get ready for work, I haven't given it the full perusal yet. As far as NES sites go, however, I am pleased to see that the NES community is finally scanning those boxes and carts for us fanatics. There was a time not long ago when all you ever found was screenshots and romz. The boxes are particularly scarce since they were so often disgarded by the NES-buying public. Anyone know where to find high quality scans of Famicom boxes and carts? I have found a couple of sites, but the scans are usually abysmal quality.
Old 30 December 2002, 20:03   #12
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Give it the time of day, when you have time. delish site. Never laughed so hard at internet site since
www.lileks.com

I've been online 3 years now and HOL is to me a close second after AtariAge. And I've been looking at AA for 3 years, and HOL for a week or so. And berely at that, because I am finishing up collecting everything else.
I am sure it'll become #1 as soon as I jump in there for a lasy Sunday and browse to my herats content.
Old 31 December 2002, 04:29   #13
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I found a great Portuguese site for Sega CD scans. Very high quality stuff.

http://www.segacdhp.kit.net/

Old 01 January 2003, 01:09   #14
Amiga1992

Assembler is awesome. The things that guy has... well... i would burglarize his home anyday
Old 02 January 2003, 09:24   #15
AmiGer

Whow... Nice links e.g. the SEGA-CD scans...