English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 21 December 2020, 16:06   #381
rutra80

You're using interlaced mode and that shader is incompatible with them.
In fact, every scanline shader looks bad in laced modes - scanlines get shifted and so are wrongly placed.
Old 21 December 2020, 17:05   #382
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Ok, that worked a treat. So is there a shader that does work with laced modes. I do want to get a hires display, but with a CRT look to replicate what I had back in the day.
Old 21 December 2020, 17:37   #383
dreadnought

I finally have a "proper" GPU again, and wouldn't mind trying out these shaders. Is there a chance somebody could post a quick recap of what to download and do? Thanks.
Old 21 December 2020, 17:39   #384
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

What is your target dreadnought? For me I want a inter scaled display that replicates my CRT with some 'modern convenience tweaks'. Happy to share what I have done once I get there.
Old 21 December 2020, 17:55   #385
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Ok, D3D: CRT-Arcade-Hires-Smartres-Interlace works quite well. I am actually also looking at the D3D:CRT and modifying the code in the fx file.
Old 24 December 2020, 14:33   #386
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxgogo View Post
What is your target dreadnought? For me I want a inter scaled display that replicates my CRT with some 'modern convenience tweaks'. Happy to share what I have done once I get there.
I don't have any particular targets because I sit next to a deskful of Trinitrons So, I just want to try it out and see what these shaders are like, but there are 20 pages in this thread, so...what do I actually need? Need to use FS UAE, I presume, and get some links to shader packs. Do you use ReShade as well?
Old 25 December 2020, 02:44   #387
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

No, not using reshade, just guest.r’s brilliant work. Been using winUAE here, but it will work in FS UAE as well. As for the length of the thread, yeah it is long, but I did painstakingly go through it all. So I would suggest going backwards until you get to guest.r’s last combined pack of shaders and download them along with the masks. I am mainly focused on the D3D CRT ones, but there is a whole bunch. Thinking about the masks, they might of come from the WinUAE site.
Old 25 December 2020, 14:44   #388
john4p
Competition Moderator

I'm fine with simple 75% transparent scanlines, but recently I've upgraded to a 4k monitor (with G-Sync compatible FreeSync, so I can use WinUAE without VSync now) and the Scanlines75Dx4-mask for WinUAE that I used to use for my 1080p screen results in scanlines that are too thin for 4k.

Thus I invested a lot of time (dozens or maybe hundreds of seconds) to craft new scanline-masks myself: Scanlines75Dx8.png is for when you set 4x size in Filter options (with doubled lines meaning it's actually 8x the original width and height) and Scanlines75Dx10.png is for 5x size in Filter options (for games with 200 to 216 pixels height).

Put into the folder WinUAE\plugins\masks\.

Merry Christmas!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Scanlines75Dx8.zip (758 Bytes, 172 views)

Last edited by john4p; 25 December 2020 at 14:57.
Old 04 February 2021, 17:08   #389
BackSpace

Hi,

for those who use ReShade the "well-know" CRT-Royale shader is now fully compatible (no more trick needed to use CRT-Royale) with the latest version of ReShade, it is avalaible here.
Have you any recommendations with Reshade (which shader and configuration) to have the most "closest rendering" of an Amiga monitor?

Here's an other shader tool ShaderGlass, with it you can apply shaders on Windows Desktop or Applications, it works with WinUAE.
Old 04 February 2021, 19:30   #390
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackSpace View Post
Here's an other shader tool ShaderGlass, with it you can apply shaders on Windows Desktop or Applications, it works with WinUAE.
Holy crap! What a killer link this is. Thanks a million mate. It's something I wished for since the days of CoolTerm.

I still prefer the real thing, but messing around with stuff like this (or Reshade) and applying it to various things like photeos or modern games can be super fun. Also, it fits the emulators which don't have a decent shader set yet.
Old 15 February 2021, 06:42   #391
WDeranged

Woah. Shaderglass looks sooo useful. I'm still on a win7 system but will be upgrading this year. Can't wait to play with it.
Old 15 February 2021, 15:03   #392
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

That looks very interesting. Downloading now.
Old 15 February 2021, 18:06   #393
dreadnought

I did play with teh ShaderGlass over last few days, it's amazing but has two drawbacks: it works only in a window and you can't really tweak the shaders easily. Unless somebody did manage to make it full screen?

For that reason the other link, the new Retroarch shader conversions for Reshade, is even more awesome. This way you have full control in fullscreen applications.
Old 11 March 2021, 22:06   #394
mcbpete
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to mcbpete Send a message via Yahoo to mcbpete
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbpete View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest.r View Post
Edit: crt-arcade-hires-smartres-interlace shader added. It's faster than the other "interlace" shader included, may look better in some games..
Well, looks like I've found my new shader. Absolutely lovely - thank you!

I gave reshade a go but unfortunately my GPU isn't up to the challenge on all but the most basic built in shaders (e.g ones that are just replacement colour LUTs). Unfortunately your lovely looking glow shader pushes UAE's CPU to a reported 250% CPU usage !
A year later and with a new machine I can now use crt-arcade-hires-smartres-interlace (1x, 1x resolution) and reshade (using Chromatic Abberration, Vignette and the WinUAEMask) and it looks *just* like I remember screenshots looking like of Amiga games in magazines:

Close detail screen grab of Turrican II

Last edited by mcbpete; 11 March 2021 at 22:17.
Old 11 March 2021, 22:39   #395
lesta_smsc

@mcbpete - the scanlines effect looks pretty nice! I'm curious of your exact .uae config file with this configured, are you able to share it? I would like to compare to CRT
Old 11 March 2021, 23:59   #396
mcbpete
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to mcbpete Send a message via Yahoo to mcbpete
Unsure how 'portable' my config is to other machines, but here's a zip of the config along with the associated files/filters the config uses. guest.r's 'crt-arcade-hires-smartres-interlace' filter is doing around 90% of the work - http://ilovecubus.co.uk/pete/winuae_setup.zip
Old 12 March 2021, 07:49   #397
hexaae
Bug hunter

Is there a chromatic aberration plain filter for WinUAE (without Reshade or external tools/dlls)?
Old 12 March 2021, 13:36   #398
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbpete View Post
A year later and with a new machine I can now use crt-arcade-hires-smartres-interlace (1x, 1x resolution) and reshade (using Chromatic Abberration, Vignette and the WinUAEMask) and it looks *just* like I remember screenshots looking like of Amiga games in magazines:

Close detail screen grab of Turrican II

<snip>
Looks great

Unfortunately I'm still on my old laptop so so DirectX 11 or these funky shaders for me
Old 12 March 2021, 14:39   #399
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Unfortunately I'm still on my old laptop so so DirectX 11 or these funky shaders for me
You can try to use Reshade in DX9 mode and some of the less demanding CRT shaders. For example CRT-Pi is rather good looking, and was written to run on Raspberry. Pretty sure your laptop has better specs than RPi.

By the way, this is what a real CRT looks like:

Old 12 March 2021, 14:48   #400
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
You can try to use Reshade in DX9 mode and some of the less demanding CRT shaders. For example CRT-Pi is rather good looking, and was written to run on Raspberry. Pretty sure your laptop has better specs than RPi.

By the way, this is what a real CRT looks like:

<snip>
Yeah, that looks awesome