English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 January 2015, 22:57   #1
Gerry

New Amberstar remake in development

Revive Entertainment (http://www.revive-entertainment.com) is working on a remake of Amberstar:

Quote:
In 1992 a German company named Thalion released the original Amberstar. A classical RPG with turn based battles. The game received recognition for its complex gamesplay, compelling story, challenging riddles as well as for its humor. Many gamers that grew up with the old Amiga and Atari ST systems have fond memories that last up to this date. Since Thalion went under just a few years after, the originally planed series of three games has never been completed.

The members of Revive Entertainment decided not only to close that hole, but to give Amberstar the recognition it deserves by bringing it back to life in a modern form. If you are interested in our progress or even want to share your input with us, please don't hesitate to get in contact with us. We will release Amberstar around December 2015, until then the team is putting in a lot of effort to recreate the positive memories so many people had.

Welcome back to Lyramion!

The Revive Team
Otherwise the website is quite empty yet - more information and screenshots hopefully will follow soon.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 09 January 2015, 23:15   #2
Neil79

Old 10 January 2015, 00:11   #3
BigFan

Lot's of projects have been announced in the past without any working product showing up.

I fear, by this lousy web page, "they" are able to release in time.
Old 10 January 2015, 22:39   #4
Gerry

For the start, here is some nice concept art: 1, 2, 3, 4.
Old 12 January 2015, 12:27   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

If it is to be a commercial venture (i.e. they sell the game) I fear they may never secure the rights to use the game name, original artwork, character names, place names, maps etc.
Old 12 January 2015, 13:56   #6
Gerry

Quote:
I fear they may never secure the rights to use the game name, original artwork, character names, place names, maps etc.
Why's that? They - for example - already secured the right for the trade mark Amberstar (Register information of the German Patent and Trade Mark Office).

Last edited by Gerry; 12 January 2015 at 14:22.
Old 12 January 2015, 14:19   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Why's that?
You have heard all the stories about the Thalion Finance/Management people. If there is a tiny chance that any of them still have any stake in Amberstar then they will come forward. But not until there is money to be had.

Quote:
If it's so difficult to find out who owns the rights, how big are the chances they gonna get sued?
I'd say above 50%. As soon as their launch made much noise, whoever owned the rights would almost certainly come forward. But I have given them a good start on where to look. Computec Verlag who published the Amiga and had some input into publising the PC version after Thalion had closed.

Quote:
BTW, to my knowledge they secured the right for example to use the name Amberstar.
Chris said he had searched German Trademarks for Amberstar and found non. And that he had applied for a German Trademark for "Amberstar" but it had not yet been granted.

Games are like books and the unique names, places, characters in them are all copyright (which is different to a trademark). The copyright will last for 50 years (in the UK) and without permission they won't be able to use "Amberstar", "Lyrmion" etc. etc. without the possibility of being sued.

The Amberstar graphics and logos etc. (for UK law at least) has a 25 year copyright and so will be expiring in 2016.

IMO they would be much better off doing the 3rd instalment "Amberworlds" and trying to leave out as much of the names and places (maybe spell them slightly different)

Last edited by alexh; 12 January 2015 at 14:26.
Old 12 January 2015, 19:11   #8
ChristianE

Hi,

as Gerry has pointed out already, we are currently working on a remake of Amberstar. We have managed to secure the Trademark "Amberstar and it has been granted to us. We are also currently working out the final details with Computec to avoid having any sort of legal trouble. apart from that, we are currently producing a working prototype. Our goal is, to release the game by the end of 2015.
Many of us have played the original when it came out in 1992 so we aim to recreate the great time we had with it, even if some parts need to be reworked to fit current standards. We will post frequent updates on our homepage as often as we get to it. We also like to invite everybody who has input to share it with us, since we not just want to recreate the experience as close as possible, but also improve those parts, that need improvement.

All the best

Christian

Old 13 January 2015, 12:06   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianE View Post
We are also currently working out the final details with Computec [Verlag] to avoid having any sort of legal trouble.
You managed to get them to acknowledge that they owned it? Well done.

I attempted to "license / buy" the copyrights to the games and publication rights to the existing binaries for all Thalion titles many times in the past, contacting many different companies.

All I could get out of Computec Verlag in the past was reply something like :

"Thank you Mr Holland for your enquiry. I can confirm Computec Verlag has previously published the game Amberstar by Thalion Software GmbH. I will ask our legal department about the current legal situation."

And I never heard back from them again and they never replied to any further mails.
Old 28 August 2015, 11:30   #10
kovacm
Banned

What is status of this remake?

I can see that web site is down: http://www.revive-entertainment.com
Old 28 August 2015, 19:47   #11
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Their facebook page is still going

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Reviv...6542?pnref=lhc

No posts though.

One of their employees has given his private facebook account. Maybe you can become his friend and ask him?

https://www.facebook.com/alex.joring
Old 04 November 2015, 09:22   #12
Gerry

The public facebook page disappeared today . I asked Alessandro Esposito, who did the concept art, about the status of the project but didn't receive any reply.
Old 04 November 2015, 16:05   #13
Thalion
Amiga Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Their facebook page is still going

One of their employees has given his private facebook account. Maybe you can become his friend and ask him?

https://www.facebook.com/alex.joring
Guess project is being abandoned. Alex joring doesn't work for them anymore.
Old 04 November 2015, 17:21   #14
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I sent him a facebook msg to find out
Old 04 November 2015, 20:49   #15
kovacm
Banned

btw what was revive-entertainment plan?
- to make AmberStar remake (I saw some 3D screenshot of original AmberStar locations)
- or to make third, final, chapter of trilogy?

as far as I know, original author Karsten Köper never wrote story for third part of trilogy, right?
Old 04 November 2015, 23:49   #16
Thalion
Amiga Collector

Amberstar Remake
AdSense AdSense