English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 28 December 2016, 01:22   #1
rsn8887

Latest WinUAE: yellow H2 in CPU % and hangs

When I load my .hdf from my old Amiga in the latest WinUAE, I always get a Yellow "H2" in the CPU % indicator and the system hangs during bootup. This is using a standard A1200 quickstart config, both in cycle exact and non-cycle exact modes.

This might not sound interesting by itself, but here comes the weird part:
I then go into WinUAE settings, select reset, and use the boot menu to "boot without startup-sequence" then in the shell I enter "execute s:startup-sequence" the system hangs in the same way, yellow H2.

I then perform a soft-reset, and the boot goes through without problems!!!!

This is exactly reproducible and always works.

This does not make any sense to me and I think this behavior hints at some emulator problem. The problem with obtaining more information is that it is a major pain to debug startup sequences on the Amiga, I would have to add "echo" statements to about 60 lines to figure out when the crash happens etc. I might do it later tonight due to post-xmas enthusiasm.
EDIT: I found out it is MCP. I cannot live without MCP, it does all my assigns (about 60 or so). What can I do?
EDIT2: I found the culprit: It was the "NoGURU" patch in MCP. After disabling that, the crashes are now history.

In addition (unrelated), when I display a hires interlace image during boot-up using syspic before the WB is displayed, then the mousepointer is distorted (see attachment). This distortion does NOT happen on real Amiga. This was introduced into WinUAE years back and I have had this problem ever since. The distortion of the pointer does not happen if I disable syspic. It is somehow related to showing a hi-res interlace startup screen during boot-up. But it does not happen on real Amiga.

EDIT: This might not be unrelated at all. If I open MCP Prefs, and click "save" without changing anythings, the mouse pointer goes back to normal. Afer a re-boot, it is distorted again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	delme.png
Views:	178
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	51482  

Last edited by rsn8887; 28 December 2016 at 03:39.
Old 28 December 2016, 09:11   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

First problem: need logs and config, as usual.

Second: It looks like what happens when sprite resolution is superhires but emulation "base" screen mode is hires: 2 shres pixels gets converted to single hires pixel. (can't fit 2 emulated pixels in place of 1 physical pixel)

You can enable superhires resolution mode but it does not make much sense in WB use except to slow down emulation. (only exception is WB doublescan hires modes)
Old 30 December 2016, 22:11   #3
rsn8887

If I enable superhires, then the mousepointer does not have missing pixels anymore. However it is still displayed as a superhires sprite (squished to half the size along the horizontal) when it should just be lo-res.
Old 31 December 2016, 08:54   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

100% exact same HDF, 100% exact same ROM, chipset etc? (Not even tiny difference allowed).
Old 07 January 2017, 06:40   #5
rsn8887

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
100% exact same HDF, 100% exact same ROM, chipset etc? (Not even tiny difference allowed).
Yes all I did was enable superhires. I will do some testing once I figure this prescale shader out completely.
Old 07 January 2017, 08:24   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I meant exact same as your real hardware. Including exact same HD contents. Image looks like mismatched chipset or KS ROM. (OS trying to show shres sprite without AGA)