English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 10 August 2019, 20:30   #1
Zilog

[Help] Dopus 5.x use only file manager

Hi to All,
it possibile use only file manager of Dopus 5.x without replace a workbench environment.

Thanks a lot for help.
Old 11 August 2019, 02:02   #2
Mrz
Banned

is not possible sorry
once you install dopus 5 take total hardware control of your Amiga
the only way to remove dopus 5 is purchasing a new motherboard
Old 11 August 2019, 12:02   #3
-Acid-

Yes you can install Dopus 5 as a normal program that you have to load from the workbench screen and it loads it's own public screen to run on. I have it installed this way as I use it as an ftp client.

If you have already installed it, just edit your SS and change the LoadWB line at the end back to LoadWB_orig I think it is called. If using the installer then just select the correct option during installation.
Old 11 August 2019, 12:23   #4
zipper

And then you probably must tweak something as I remember some programs tied to Dopus won't work. But can't remember which version of Dopus5 I tried.
Old 11 August 2019, 12:44   #5
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper View Post
And then you probably must tweak something as I remember some programs tied to Dopus won't work.
What do you mean by that? Only thing I could guess is some ARexx MP3 GUIs or so that use DOpus functionality, but they never work without DOpus otherwise either.

DOpus 5.x stays nicely in its own drawer except couple of changes to the system. If you install it as a WB replacement, it renames the original C:LoadWB command to C:LoadWB_old and copies its own LoadDB command as C:LoadWB. So, only thing you need to remove WB replacement mode is to rename the LoadWB_old back to LoadWB (or modify your startup-sequence as suggested). BTW. if you want to boot original Workbench instead of DOpus WB replacement, you can press the shift key in boot, and then the original LoadWB_old gets loaded instead of the new LoadWB(DB).

Other things it does is adding couple lines in S:User-startup and some configs in ENV:, but these things can be left there even if you want to stop using WB replacement permanently. You need them when used separately anyway.
Old 11 August 2019, 13:54   #6
paul1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrz View Post
is not possible sorry
once you install dopus 5 take total hardware control of your Amiga
the only way to remove dopus 5 is purchasing a new motherboard

That's why I never installed it. I was too scared.
Old 11 August 2019, 19:04   #7
Zilog

Guys...thanks a lot for help.

Thanks Again.
Old 11 August 2019, 19:53   #8
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1981 View Post
That's why I never installed it. I was too scared.
Yes, to get rid off you need full format (only the first 4 GB works) at least three times, then you must drink 3 litres earl grey at least. The last thing to do is pray. 50% chance DOpus is away. The other option is
Old 11 August 2019, 20:44   #9
AMIGASYSTEM

Dopus 5 can be used as a Filemanager style Dopus 4 (double window) at the time of launch however it will open its own screen and use its associations on the files.
Same thing you can do with Scalos, I enclose an old video of mine that shows the two methods of using Dopus 5

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 11 August 2019, 21:01   #10
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Yes, to get rid off you need full format (only the first 4 GB works) at least three times, then you must drink 3 litres earl grey at least. The last thing to do is pray. 50% chance DOpus is away. The other option is
Baking soda can help too.. on the motherboard, not in your mouth. (Edit: or actually the other way?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
Dopus 5 can be used as a Filemanager style Dopus 4 (double window) at the time of launch however it will open its own screen and use its associations on the files.
You can use it on WB screen as a separate program too, just don't use backdrop option for the main window (and resize it to suit your config to show the WB).
Old 11 August 2019, 21:19   #11
Mrz
Banned

Quote:
you laught about what the member daxb said,but for some reason he said it
once you install dopus 5 your Amiga will never be the same
has been reported thousands of times that after installing dopus the computer suffer random crashes, glitches, gfx bugs on the screen, strange noises etc
and there is no uninstall process that helps

even a polish Amiga member reported that after a dopus 5 unistallation the A1200 motherboard he had went totally crazy , he suspected demoniac possession so he had to call an exorcist from the catholic church
but even that didn't work because the motherboard died and never turned on again
Old 11 August 2019, 21:23   #12
jPV

Quote:
has been reported thousands of times that after installing dopus the computer suffer random crashes, glitches, gfx bugs on the screen, strange noises etc
Sorry but that's bullshit.
Old 11 August 2019, 21:30   #13
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jPV View Post
You can use it on WB screen as a separate program too, just don't use backdrop option for the main window (and resize it to suit your config to show the WB).

Yes, I know that you can also choose to use the Workbench or Clone Workbench screen, but both systems can co-exist with different backgrounds, and everything's running smoothly and without any headache pills. , see video

https://drive.google.com/open?id=12-...aYwVOqpScjRCZs
Old 11 August 2019, 23:25   #14
Leandro Jardim

@Zilog: if you change your startup-sequence as suggested you could also enable a tooltype in the Directory Opus icon that will disable Workbench emulation no matter how you have configured DOpus in the preferences GUI. Unfortunately I don't remember which is the name of the tooltype in question, but from my rough memory I think it is already present in the icon and you only need to remove the parenthesis from the tooltype. It is something with WB in it's name, I think...

But there is also another tooltype, that will instruct DOpus to load a different configuration at startup when you double click the icon from WB. Or maybe this is the same tooltype I described previously? Well, I don't remember now; but I am sure it's name is ENVIRONMENT. You only need to save the DOpus configuration you like in a separate file and write it's name in the DOpus tooltype.

Sorry for my sudden lack of memory, it's been a long time since I last used Directory Opus.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 11 August 2019 at 23:51.
Old 12 August 2019, 00:12   #15
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes Leandro Jardim confirmation

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 16 August 2019 at 13:17.
Old 12 August 2019, 13:16   #16
paul1981

Quote:

Really? You had me up to 'full format at least three times'. I'd say once would do it (but would probably be safer to zero the drive instead).
Old 12 August 2019, 13:39   #17
paul1981

Quote:

even a polish Amiga member reported that after a dopus 5 unistallation the A1200 motherboard he had went totally crazy , he suspected demoniac possession so he had to call an exorcist from the catholic church
but even that didn't work because the motherboard died and never turned on again

I'm not sure about that second part. But what I heard was that the noclick utils don't work anymore. I suppose that falls under the 'strange noises' catagory.
Old 12 August 2019, 16:05   #18
jPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1981 View Post
I'm not sure about that second part. But what I heard was that the noclick utils don't work anymore. I suppose that falls under the 'strange noises' catagory.
I'm starting to get confused that who of you are trying to be serious and who are just joking... I've never had any problems with noclick utils and DOpus5 (at least with the latest versions, can't say for sure about early versions, but in any case who would have used those early work-in-progress versions since 98 or so when Magellan was released).