English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you have one GBA ? (GameBoy Advance)
Yes ! 9 39.13%
No ... 11 47.83%
Maybe in short time 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03 September 2001, 22:37   #1
RCK
Administrator

Thumbs up Continuation of Flashback on GBA !

Among the rare informations today in London, there is this advertisement which does not come from the Nintendo Show but from the private show of Electronic Arts: the confirmation of at least two projects GBA at Delphine Software, of which one which is not the least since it is about a continuation (!) of Flashback, the set of action/plates-forms which made the glory of the french touch on consoles 16 bit and PC/Mac of the time. The new Flashback on GBA would remain in 2D, faithful to the original play. The development has just started, no screenshot are available for the moment...

French game, French news
Quote:
Parmi les rares informations glanées aujourd'hui à Londres, on note cette annonce qui ne nous vient non pas du Nintendo Show mais du salon privé Electronic Arts : la confirmation d'au moins deux projets GBA chez Delphine Software, dont l'un qui n'est pas des moindres puisqu'il s'agit d'une suite (!) de Flashback, le jeu d'action/plates-formes qui a fait la gloire de la french touch sur consoles 16 bit et PC/Mac de l'époque. Rappelons qu'une suite en 3D avait été sortie sur Playstation et PC sous le nom de Fade to Black. A priori, le nouveau Flashback sur GBA resterait en 2d, fidèle au jeu original .

Le développement venant de commencer, aucun screenshot n'est dispo pour l'instant, mais nous suivont l'affaire de très près
Old 03 September 2001, 23:21   #2
Drake1009

And here I thought Fade 2 black was the continuation of Flashback. The story fitted so well with you starting off floating through outer space as Conrad Hart and was re-captured by your old "friends" the morphs. I honestly thought that was the continuation, and also thought it was a play with letters in the title. F2B =>FB2 => FlashBack 2. Seems I was wrong.
Old 03 September 2001, 23:44   #3
Amiga1992

Hey, perhaps they pick up after Fade 2 Black, who knows? F2B was really Falshback's sequence, so if they do some shit now it would seem strange.

I'd liek to see how much input would teh original makers of the game have in this title. Will it be developed by Delphine again? (that is, if tehy are still in business! rck?)
Old 03 September 2001, 23:49   #4
RCK
Administrator

Yes of course, Fade To Black was the original continuation of Flashback, but it was in 3D and he didn't have a good impact on the players heart, who don't fell it as one real brother of Another world or Flaskback ...

This new continuation of FlashBack for the GBA will keep the original spirit of the game. (high animation level, great gameplay, and huge level in 2D !)

At least we can hope...
Old 03 September 2001, 23:58   #5
RCK
Administrator

There is also some upcoming game for next-gen consoles from Delphine Software. Majority of them will be directed by "Paul Cuisset" (Paul Cuisset is the inventor of the action games that have built Delphine Software's reputation. Moto Racer, Fade to Black, Flashback, Croisière pour un Cadavre, Opération Stealth, Les Voyageurs du Temps / Future wars... ).

Don't have any news about tehy... but the Delphine Software Core are still here.

Quote:
Chez Delphine Software, on note en préparation un jeu d'aventure 3d au concept se voulant novateur. Dirigé par Paul Cuisset, à qui l'on doit "Les voyageurs du temps" et "Flashback", ce titre prévu pour l'instant sur PS2 et Xbox devrait voir le jour d'ici un an.
Old 04 September 2001, 01:07   #6
Amigaboy

This sounds really cool. Hopefully they'll pull it off properly (take a look at Speedball 2100 and various others to realise what I mean )

I know the GBA cartridge can't handle this much data, but they should have the original Flashback as a bonus game (maybe as an extra cartridge)

Old 04 September 2001, 05:03   #7
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by RCK
Yes of course, Fade To Black was the original continuation of Flashback, but it was in 3D and he didn't have a good impact on the players heart, who don't fell it as one real brother of Another world or Flaskback ...
This new continuation of FlashBack for the GBA will keep the original spirit of the game. (high animation level, great gameplay, and huge level in 2D !)
At least we can hope...
Drake's (and mine!) concern is about the storyline, methinks. How are they going to fit the game in the story? I hope Delphine is involved and that they don;'t fuck it up, as Amigaboy said. Luckily they cant make it go 3D, so that will assure that te game retains the original, unmatched, 2D gameplay

Hmmm.. I think they COULD insert the original Flashback in there (they could use a 128Mb cart), but they won't. And not because of the cart size, who knows why.

By the end of the year most GBA carts will be 128Mb, you'll see

By the way, I heard Super mario Advance 2 will include the same minigame as in Super Mario Advance 1... Ok, great, I love Mario Bros, but the owners of the first game wont be very happy. Lets hope Nintendo dont start being lazy arses. That aside, the game's lookimg like a corker.

Oh, and I should buy Warioland Advance. Looks brill. (but I never liked Wario)
Old 04 September 2001, 11:36   #8
Burge
Get ready, Agent

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira

Drake's (and mine!) concern is about the storyline, methinks. How are they going to fit the game in the story? I hope Delphine is involved and that they don;'t fuck it up, as Amigaboy said. Luckily they cant make it go 3D, so that will assure that te game retains the original, unmatched, 2D gameplay

Hmmm.. I think they COULD insert the original Flashback in there (they could use a 128Mb cart), but they won't. And not because of the cart size, who knows why.

By the end of the year most GBA carts will be 128Mb, you'll see

By the way, I heard Super mario Advance 2 will include the same minigame as in Super Mario Advance 1... Ok, great, I love Mario Bros, but the owners of the first game wont be very happy. Lets hope Nintendo dont start being lazy arses. That aside, the game's lookimg like a corker.

Oh, and I should buy Warioland Advance. Looks brill. (but I never liked Wario)
And porting old Mario's instead of making new ones isn't lazy? Maybe they're afraid they'll create a bad 2D Mario since they haven't done one for a while.

It's like Nintendo's procrastinating, going:

"We'll just do one more port. Then we'll get started on a new one. Honest."

But we all know what that leads to...
Old 04 September 2001, 17:20   #9
Drake1009

Akira : Drake's (and mine!) concern is about the storyline, methinks. How are they going to fit the game in the story? I hope Delphine is involved and that they don;'t fuck it up, as Amigaboy said. Luckily they cant make it go 3D, so that will assure that te game retains the original, unmatched, 2D gameplay

Actually I'm not so concerned about the storyline since I never completed F2B so I wouldn't know where it left off anyway.

Maybe they are going to make a more detailed story of F2B and put it in 2D? That would be fairly good, that way they can also call it the followup on Flashback. That way you'd have 2 games with somewhat the same storyline though. But if you take examples from the GBC you'd notice that some 3D games from the PC were converted to a 2D game on the GBC, I don't know about the story, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was basically the same story being told in different ways.

F2B players will probably be a bit disappointed if this is the case, but the Flashback lovers who didn't play F2B because it changed style completely will not be left with a big gap.
Old 04 September 2001, 22:27   #10
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Drake1009

Actually I'm not so concerned about the storyline since I never completed F2B so I wouldn't know where it left off anyway.
Then I misunderstood you I would preffer the game to be based on the original, since what you have said about GBC conversions of 3D games is true.

About Nintendo being lazy, I kind of agree. I dont mind because I dont have a SNES (yet ), but most SNES users can get fed up with rehash after rehash. I mean, A LOT of GBA games are straight shovelware from the SNES. If Yoshi's Story is any indication of Nintendo fucking up great 2D games, then I think your assumption is correct, Burge.

And Marz, I dont like Wario, the character, and I never liked the GB/C games. They didn't feel right.

[by the way, this thread should be in General gaming discussion =]