Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Turrican sucks.

It has to be...

LEMMINGS!
Old 09 May 2009, 21:59   #42
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

Guys, the only way to be fair with this if you set names from all genres. Where are the sport games? Racing games like Lotus II? Strtegy games, as Settlers, managementsims as Theme Park, and all the rest? And on-screen visual euphoria is not the only method to vote for the best... (this is for Lionheart and Turrican II oh,almost forgot simulations like F-15 II which is more stunning than F/A for me... ;P
Old 10 May 2009, 02:08   #43
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynolds View Post
Guys, the only way to be fair with this if you set names from all genres. Where are the sport games? Racing games like Lotus II? Strtegy games, as Settlers, managementsims as Theme Park, and all the rest? And on-screen visual euphoria is not the only method to vote for the best... (this is for Lionheart and Turrican II oh,almost forgot simulations like F-15 II which is more stunning than F/A for me... ;P
no, i think the whole point of the thread is you are supposed to pick a game which acts as a good "representative" of great amiga games, regardless of genre, style etc.

In my case, i picked what I regard as a great "ambassador" of Amiga games... going from the Amiga to many many platforms. Unique, and yet well suited to the amiga... especially when you consider the ease of using two mice on the amiga for multiplayer compared with other systems.

It's actually not even in my personal top 3 Amiga games, although it does come very close... i nonetheless regard it as the quintessential Amiga game which everyone should try.
Old 10 May 2009, 03:02   #44
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Defender of the crown. It has amiga written all over it. Like Horace's choice it is not one of my favourites. But for early amiga games it stood out like dogs balls.
Old 11 October 2009, 20:52   #45
Kowalski

It Came From The Desert for me...
Old 11 October 2009, 23:34   #46
dekarAF
Retired Scener

Lionheart, Superfrog, the Turrican games, Leander and last but not least; First/Second Samurai!
Old 12 October 2009, 11:10   #47
BrooksterMax

Cannon Fodder or Sensi for me.
Old 12 October 2009, 14:14   #48
Mogilny

A hard one, a few games which comes to my mind instantly is It Came From The Desert, Turrican 2, James Pond 2, Stunt Car Racer, Defender of the Crown, Speedball 2, Kick Off 2, Lotus 2, Oil Imperium and Elvira. Dunno if all of those games are originally from the Amiga and it's a though choice to pick one, but if it has to come to one I think I have to say Turrican 2.
Old 12 October 2009, 14:15   #49
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny View Post
...but if it has to come to one I think I have to say Turrican 2.
Old 12 October 2009, 16:40   #50
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Nope, I'll stick with Captive, otherwise captain Z and captain B will kill me.

But Turrican 2 is a very close second, although the game is waaaaaay too hard for me
Old 13 October 2009, 20:59   #51
danwood

hired guns, brilliant game. my amiga was in daily use until 2006 and that was my main game. i played a lot of speed ball 2, chaos engine, premier manager 3, ishar trilogy, worms directors cut, sabre team as well.

Last edited by danwood; 13 October 2009 at 21:00. Reason: missed a game
Old 14 October 2009, 08:54   #52
Siggy999

Although I was going to buy an Amiga after seeing it 'released' in Oz at a PC show - I had my first moment of smugness when I first booted up Shadow of the Beast.

There was simply nothing like it graphically on any computer at the time (actually - most arcades at the time too).. So I'd have to lean towards it - cutting edge like the machine itself.

That being said ... Lemmings deserves a definate mention.. although it wasn't as spectacular graphically, it was a highly original game that was birthed on the Amiga.. I'd give it the pride place because it really trod new ground in just about every aspect (including playable with a mouse... that wasn't something you saw every day either).

Beast, and many other games, at the end of the day (although stunningly presented) were ideas we'd seen before...
Old 14 October 2009, 11:35   #53
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

GOAL!

all you Sensi zealots can go home :P
Old 14 October 2009, 12:01   #54
AmigaDweeb
Mutation Software

Defender of the Crown (this title actually sold Amiga's down my way back in the day) tho I always felt that It Came from the Desert was ever so slightly better.
Old 25 October 2009, 17:07   #55
Zeewolf
I am an Amiga man.

It has to be Defender of the Crown closely followed by It Came from the Desert. I think I broke my jaw the first time I saw DOTC. Jaw dropping stuff after owning a Spectrum. Still love playing this; not the greatest game ever but it holds so many memories.