English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 February 2018, 10:03   #61
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Zapp View Post
I really don't understand why so many people, these days believe it was not popular over here because it was.
I always thought that as well, but the internet told me nobody in the US cared about the Amiga, and only some video dudes used 1000s and that's it.

And the rest went straight to DOS PCs.
Old 10 February 2018, 14:35   #62
sneeker

I sort of agree, even though I love my dreamcast, I still think the ps2 should be there, as everyone remembers them and you would think that most people would have memories of them in comparison the the dreamcast which was the also ran and didnt last for nearly as long.
Old 10 February 2018, 15:36   #63
Zippy Zapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
I always thought that as well, but the internet told me nobody in the US cared about the Amiga, and only some video dudes used 1000s and that's it.

There is plenty of information on the internet written by many people and sometimes people that were not even around during that time, or they were little kids when the Amiga was in its hey day.

As we know, from the Mac vs Windows camp, there are plenty of people that rewrite history and most rewrite Commodore out of history all together.
Old 10 February 2018, 20:13   #64
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy Zapp View Post
We pretty much had the same deal over here. I really don't understand why so many people, these days believe it was not popular over here because it was. I know because I was there. I worked at a store that sold them and believe me people knew all about Amiga in my area. It was the computer to have. Same deal as you apparently, plenty of neighbors with Amiga's and C64's and many people that wish they had one.
Well, you sure know better, since you live there.
My saying was based from what I've heard from the people around (in my childhood), and over the internet.
But anyway, weren't there huge problems with NTSC/PAL, that made Amiga's not so suitable for US? One of the Commodores huge mistakes, if I am not mistaken? I think sometimes: "If Amiga was popular in the US, same as in Europe, maybe Commodore would live up to today, or just Amiga".
Let me know if I am wrong.
Thanks.

Also, back in the days Macintosh was really unpopular in Europe (or at least in Balkans). Not that people thought it's bad machine (quite opposite ), but there were really not much sellers, and it was really hard to find anyone that had mac. To give you the comparison, in the city I lived in the mid 90's (300k population) there were maybe 1 or 2 mac computers in the whole town, and thousand and thousands PC's and Amigas.
Old 14 February 2018, 04:19   #65
bbond007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post

That is true to some extent. I have PAL Amiga now and there is a reason for that.

The Amiga had the same reputation as the C= 64 concerning being just a "gaming computer".

If you wanted to do be compatible with work, then you got the PC/clone or maybe Macintosh if you were into desktop publishing. So while Amigas were sold in various stores, sales people would steer you to the more conventional choice.

Some of that might be due to NTSC video allowing for only 200 lines without resorting to interlace. PAL is better if just slightly.

However, it did have a great reputation as a "gaming computer" and was well respected in that regard. Later after NewTek and the Toaster that rep was upgraded "gaming and video"

Still, it was VERY popular here (with an active following) and people cared. Amiga US based specific users groups and BBS were everywhere. Amiga shows, etc...

It's the Atari ST nobody cared about Except for musicians who used it as a sequencer.

Last edited by bbond007; 14 February 2018 at 04:30.