English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 07 August 2018, 11:18   #1
emuola
Registered Whdload user

James Pond 2: copying original floppy to adf

We're having a display at the museum of modern arts. The display is all about glitches and one of the rooms is dedicated to games with glitches.

Originally we were planning to use MiSTer(s) (about the same as MiST) and use adf:s. Unfortunately the required modifications to the MiSTer code never happened (not my fault, our coder stood us up...), so we're forced to use real hw instead (I happen to have the required hw, so that's easy).

I've decided to put James Pond 2 on a real A500 on display, because it has the following "features":

-If the original floppy is copied, the controls are s*crewed -> very easy for the visitor to "experience" the glitch.
-Only on one floppy -> power up the A500 and it's a go!
-No violence in game etc.

Retro1234 here kindly gave me a extended adf (a copy of original) that works great in Winuae (the controls are indeed s*crewed), but as it's 2MB in size, I cannot get it written on a standard floppy. He suggested making a copy of original floppy.

So, would it be possible for someone to make a copy of an original James Pond 2 floppy with for example xcopy2? The read it as an standard adf that fits on a normal floppy. (or send me the copy (or 2), I'll pay the postages, no worries)

I'm no pro regarding the adf/floppies, so I really don't know what is an extended adf and how to make a non extended adf? Or is there some technical limitation regarding JP2 and it will not be possible to create a standard adf of it?

Please, I need help here
Old 07 August 2018, 12:41   #2
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
This game is copy protected, hence the extended ADF (i did it quite a while back now).

You need to go for a crack version ......
Old 07 August 2018, 13:27   #3
xanderbeanz

The crack version wouldn’t be screwed up though...
Old 07 August 2018, 13:39   #4
matburton

Out of interest what happens if you take the IPF image for that game and use WinUAE to make a copy of it to a standard (non-extended) ADF image?

At that point is the ADF version of the game just unbootable or does it boot and fail the copy protection check? I assume the game borks the controls intentionally when the copy protection check fails?

If that ADF image does boot you could write that back to real media. I'm not sure this technically counts as a glitch though as it sounds like the developers very much intended this behaviour?
Old 07 August 2018, 13:51   #5
DamienD
Global Moderator

...was just in the process of doing that matburton

Loads of errors though when copying and the .ADF doesn't boot afterwards:

Old 07 August 2018, 14:04   #6
matburton

Nice DamienD!

I assume X-Copy here isn't trying to correct the DOS 'errors' or anything? Is that some sort of nibble copy or something similar? Just asking as I'm not very familiar with X-Copy or the German language ;-)
Old 07 August 2018, 14:07   #7
DamienD
Global Moderator

...just a standard copy using X-Copy Professional; it's in German as that's the only version I had here at work for some strange reason.
Old 07 August 2018, 14:13   #8
demolition
Unregistered User

I can write out a couple of disks from the IPF and send them to you if you want. I will be using a Kryoflux for this and I am not sure it is possible to write this disk using a plain Amiga. It might be possible using PowerCopy and the right settings, but these errors were put on the original disk on purpose to make it as hard as possible to copy the original game. This is why cracked versions exist as they have all these 'errors' removed and check bypassed so they can be copied like any regularly formatted disk.

With XCopy, the best bet is to use NibbleCopy as DOSCopy assumes that all tracks are DOS tracks which, as can be seen by all the non-zero values, is clearly not the case.
Old 07 August 2018, 14:14   #9
Hewitson

He doesn't want a working copy of the game.
Old 07 August 2018, 14:16   #10
matburton

I might give it a go tonight with D-Copy in nibble mode (or whatever other options are under the copy menu) just because I'm intrigued now
(I'm also at work so can't try it now)
Old 07 August 2018, 14:18   #11
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
He doesn't want a working copy of the game.
Ah, you are right. After re-reading the post I had missed that part.

Still, if he has an E-ADF that does what he wants, I should be able to write that image out on a real floppy.
Old 07 August 2018, 14:19   #12
DamienD
Global Moderator

...the extended .ADF that Denis made will be working without problems though.
Old 07 August 2018, 15:19   #13
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Ah, you are right. After re-reading the post I had missed that part.

Still, if he has an E-ADF that does what he wants, I should be able to write that image out on a real floppy.
Awesome The extended adf works just as I want, controls are borked It would be great to have the adf on a real floppy (2 copies).

Here's the adf:

https://cloud.uwasa.fi/index.php/s/cN7FVSXTKfheBZ7

Can't wait
Old 07 August 2018, 19:03   #14
demolition
Unregistered User

So it seems that DTC.exe (Kryoflux tool) cannot write this format directly so I tried converting it to IPF using disk-analyse but it doesn't seem to read the format either. HxCFloppyEmulator.exe can't read it as well, so does anyone have an idea how I can convert this into something that I can write with the Kryoflux, either IPF or RAW?

Is this file an emulation only format?
Old 07 August 2018, 19:19   #15
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Did Toni make some kind of conversation tool? Maybe I dreamt that
I know it can be written back to disk on a real Amiga with a Hard Drive and PowerCopy.
Old 08 August 2018, 00:18   #16
matburton

I tried a nibble copy in WinUAE from the IPF to an ADF (using D-Copy) but got the exact same results as DamienD, which is pretty unsurprising. i.e. the ADF didn't get any where near booting in to the game.

demolition - maybe take the extended ADF and pass it through Jeff's HxC software to get Kryoflux raw stream files?
i.e. just drag in the ADF file and export it as
KF Stream file (*.raw)

EDIT: Just tried with HxCFloppyEmulator.exe v2.1.11.1 and it read the extended ADF and could export Kryoflux raw stream files. I have no idea if DTC can write those stream files though or whether the resulting written disk will actually work.

Last edited by matburton; 08 August 2018 at 01:07. Reason: Tested out what I suggested
Old 08 August 2018, 00:21   #17
jotd
Cat freak

if you want games that go haywire when protection is bypassed/badly cracked I can provide a list (Gods, Cadaver, Formula one grandprix)
Old 08 August 2018, 06:59   #18
emuola
Registered Whdload user

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
So it seems that DTC.exe (Kryoflux tool) cannot write this format directly so I tried converting it to IPF using disk-analyse but it doesn't seem to read the format either. HxCFloppyEmulator.exe can't read it as well, so does anyone have an idea how I can convert this into something that I can write with the Kryoflux, either IPF or RAW?

Is this file an emulation only format?
Ok, I' really not sure about the format characteristics. The non-extended adfs can be written on to a standard floppy and I've done it back then when I had a suitable setup for it (A1200, Classicwb etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by matburton View Post
I tried a nibble copy in WinUAE from the IPF to an ADF (using D-Copy) but got the exact same results as DamienD, which is pretty unsurprising. i.e. the ADF didn't get any where near booting in to the game.

demolition - maybe take the extended ADF and pass it through Jeff's HxC software to get Kryoflux raw stream files?
i.e. just drag in the ADF file and export it as
KF Stream file (*.raw)

EDIT: Just tried with HxCFloppyEmulator.exe v2.1.11.1 and it read the extended ADF and could export Kryoflux raw stream files. I have no idea if DTC can write those stream files though or whether the resulting written disk will actually work.
Hmm, that's actually promising I hope Kryoflux delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
if you want games that go haywire when protection is bypassed/badly cracked I can provide a list (Gods, Cadaver, Formula one grandprix)
Thanks, JP2 would make a perfect example, because the "glitch" can be seen immediately as the game begins -> the player does not have to do something special/play a longish time to trigger it. If you can come up with a "similarly obvious" bug due to copy protection/piracy, then please let me know The A500 will be hidden/locked inside a case, so only single floppy games will do :/ The harmless nature of the JP2 is also a plus
Old 08 August 2018, 09:06   #19
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by emuola View Post
If you can come up with a "similarly obvious" bug due to copy protection/piracy, then please let me know The A500 will be hidden/locked inside a case, so only single floppy games will do :/ The harmless nature of the JP2 is also a plus

Kick Off 2 will crash "randomly" if not cracked properly. Not as obvious as James Pond 2 though I guess.
Old 08 August 2018, 13:54   #20
emuola
Registered Whdload user

This just popped into my mind: What if the A500 would have a Gotek with Flashfloppy firmware? Would the extended adf (2MB) work with it?