English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 02 July 2018, 09:24   #1
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Accelerator UNfriendly games?

Are there any? Thinking to buy a 33 MHz 68000 (yes!) accelerator without any fallback mode and wondering if any titles will have problems. ANyone know?

Thanks
Old 02 July 2018, 14:39   #2
system11

My experience so far suggests that it's at least half of them, don't buy one you can't disable unless you want to WHDLoad everything.
Old 02 July 2018, 14:50   #3
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by system11 View Post
My experience so far suggests that it's at least half of them, don't buy one you can't disable unless you want to WHDLoad everything.
Wow?! Really? But WHDLoad patches that? Its been years for me!
Old 02 July 2018, 15:02   #4
happymondays

Well, I have a 50 MHz 68000 on a HC508 board and although I do use WHDLoad, there are many games I like that do not have a WHDLoad version, but I am yet to find any that has issues (everything runs nicely so far). But it may also depend on the accelerator, not only the CPU.
Old 02 July 2018, 15:49   #5
Dunny

Can't say I found any software that was incompatible with my Blizzard 1230-IV tbh. Apart from the usual kickstart version issues, that is, and I'd been having those way back on the A1000 when I upgraded to 1.3.
Old 02 July 2018, 22:38   #6
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymondays View Post
Well, I have a 50 MHz 68000 on a HC508 board and although I do use WHDLoad, there are many games I like that do not have a WHDLoad version, but I am yet to find any that has issues (everything runs nicely so far). But it may also depend on the accelerator, not only the CPU.
Didn't think there were many games left to be WHDLoadified!!
Old 02 July 2018, 23:21   #7
Schlachtwerk
68k RULEZ

i mean Archon was a game that will make trouble in the old days ^^
Old 03 July 2018, 20:15   #8
happymondays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post

There are. And it seems a number of my childhood favourites are among them.
Old 04 July 2018, 03:09   #9
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Try the AGA fixes from TOSEC?? They should be patched to disable cache and fix blitter waits??
Old 04 July 2018, 21:58   #10
jotd
Cat freak

@happymondays: sad to hear that you're missing whdload slaves for games. I thought we did all the best ones (there are also turds benefiting from an install). Do you have some requests? (maybe post them in the whdload section)

About the accelerated 68000:

- if incompatibilites come from too much speed, whdload fixes that
- sometimes whdload slaves aren't 68000-compliant: read/write at odd addresses, missing built-in quitkey (68000 doesn't have a VBR): if you encounter some like this, issue a mantis report, I'll fix it (I've done quite a lot recently)
Old 07 August 2018, 22:52   #11
xanderbeanz

Quote:
Are there any? Thinking to buy a 33 MHz 68000 (yes!) accelerator without any fallback mode and wondering if any titles will have problems. ANyone know?

Thanks
I’ve had 3 issues:

- Flashback sometimes crashes,
- Arabian Nights does not work,
- Galaxy Force II hangs on the planet select screen.

Everything else has been fine. When I’ve had problems I’ve upgraded to a later install slave version.

Please note that a fair few slaves do not permit quitting with a 68000.

Please also note that I have 2MB Chip Ram/KS 3.1 and you may have more or less problems with a different setup.
Old 08 August 2018, 10:32   #12
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymondays View Post
and although I do use WHDLoad, there are many games I like that do not have a WHDLoad version
Which games are that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
- Arabian Nights does not work,
Can you be a bit more specific? What does "does not work" mean, does the game crash or is it freezing?

Quote:
- Galaxy Force II hangs on the planet select screen.
As Bored Seal is no longer active I'll have a look.

Quote:

Please note that a fair few slaves do not permit quitting with a 68000.
Please report these on the Mantis bug tracker so they can be fixed.
Old 08 August 2018, 11:52   #13
xanderbeanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Which games are that?

Can you be a bit more specific? What does "does not work" mean, does the game crash or is it freezing?

As Bored Seal is no longer active I'll have a look.

Please report these on the Mantis bug tracker so they can be fixed.
Hi Stingray,

Is the WHDLoad slave writing community open to creating quittable 68000 versions then? I assumed that it wasn’t a priority, and that we should just live with it, or buy a 68020. It’s a nice surprise if they’d like to develop these.

I haven’t heard about this bug tracker, so if you could let me know where to go then I’ll submit the errors.

So, more detail:

Arabian Nights gives me a title screen, some music, and then once i press fire, just a black screen and then a Guru error.

Galaxy Force II hangs after planet select, and whatever music is playing glitches the hell out. It can kinda sound cool in a harsh noise kinda way, but of course i didn’t install GFII for a musical experiment, the game doesn’t work!

One extra thing I remembered, adventure games really don’t like to save, even with my 2MB Chip 8Mb fast. Monkey Island II crashes often if I save (the save files are corrupted on later loading them) saying that there were “too many packets” or something. Quest for Glory 1 (Hero’s Quest) doesn’t like saving either, putting me to a Guru. But they play ok as long as I finish them in one sitting lol.

I really wish that there was a df0 save option for these games, I have a blank disk in the drive at all times anyway, maybe that’d be less of a hog on system resources.
Old 08 August 2018, 12:01   #14
Hewitson

No need to buy an accelerator to be able to quit games, you can just drop in a 68010.
Old 08 August 2018, 12:09   #15
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
Is the WHDLoad slave writing community open to creating quittable 68000 versions then?
Of course. A lot of patches have already been adapted to support quit on 68000. There sure are still a few left to fix but that will only happen if people report the problems on Mantis or if one of the patch coders notices such problems by coincidence.

Quote:
I haven’t heard about this bug tracker, so if you could let me know where to go then I’ll submit the errors.
Go to the WHDLoad site, look for the patch in question and then click on "Author/Contact (use it to report problems with that install)" which can be found at the top of the page.

Quote:
Arabian Nights gives me a title screen, some music, and then once i press fire, just a black screen and then a Guru error.
Please create a bug report (see description above) so the patch can be fixed.

Quote:
Galaxy Force II hangs after planet select, and whatever music is playing glitches the hell out. It can kinda sound cool in a harsh noise kinda way, but of course i didn’t install GFII for a musical experiment, the game doesn’t work!
This is one of Bored Seal's patches but he is no longer actively developing/updating WHDLoad patches. I'll update this patch, no bug report needed as I have noted your problem now.

Quote:
One extra thing I remembered, adventure games really don’t like to save, even with my 2MB Chip 8Mb fast. Monkey Island II crashes often if I save (the save files are corrupted on later loading them) saying that there were “too many packets” or something. Quest for Glory 1 (Hero’s Quest) doesn’t like saving either, putting me to a Guru. But they play ok as long as I finish them in one sitting lol.
Make sure to quit the game using the quitkey as otherwise no saves to HD are done (unless the "NOWRITECACHE" tooltype is set). If you still encounter problems, create a bug report please.

Quote:
I really wish that there was a df0 save option for these games, I have a blank disk in the drive at all times anyway, maybe that’d be less of a hog on system resources.
This is not possible as all drive accesses are not allowed in WHDLoad.
Old 08 August 2018, 12:19   #16
xanderbeanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
No need to buy an accelerator to be able to quit games, you can just drop in a 68010.
Of course, but quite a lot of us have got A500 68000 based accelerators now (HC533, HC508, ACA500+) and whilst the speed boost is nice they’re often primarily bought for the Compact Flash functionality and the extra RAM.

So it’s nice that this growing number of accelerated A500 users can be catered for.

I totally agree though if you have a GVP (or other brand) sidecar with a hard drive and RAM then dropping in a 68010 is a no brainer.
Old 08 August 2018, 12:20   #17
xanderbeanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Of course. A lot of patches have already been adapted to support quit on 68000. There sure are still a few left to fix but that will only happen if people report the problems on Mantis or if one of the patch coders notices such problems by coincidence.

Go to the WHDLoad site, look for the patch in question and then click on "Author/Contact (use it to report problems with that install)" which can be found at the top of the page.

Please create a bug report (see description above) so the patch can be fixed.

This is one of Bored Seal's patches but he is no longer actively developing/updating WHDLoad patches. I'll update this patch, no bug report needed as I have noted your problem now.

Make sure to quit the game using the quitkey as otherwise no saves to HD are done (unless the "NOWRITECACHE" tooltype is set). If you still encounter problems, create a bug report please.

This is not possible as all drive accesses are not allowed in WHDLoad.
Thanks for the info!
Old 08 August 2018, 12:26   #18
xanderbeanz

Oh and please Pm me if you manage to fix GFII
Old 08 August 2018, 12:30   #19
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post

While this is true it doesn't really fix the problem. The patches should (and will) be adapted to support quit on 68000.