English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 20 January 2009, 21:58   #1
athleos
n00b

Amiga n00b with A2091 Troubles!

hey all, first post here! unfortunately it's about a problem...
alright, first my A2000. i have the Kickstart 3.1 ROM and am running WB3.1. i ran the ram test program on my A2091 install disk and it all checked out (2MB) so i know at least that section of the A2091 works! the A2091 has rev.7 ROMs installed but only the rev.04 WD chip. JP1 on the A2091 is set at 2M, JP2 is set at DIS for now and JP5 has all 3 pinsets set to OFF. the HD i'm trying to run is an HP C3325A 001. i have the jumper settings set like they would be from the factory (pinsets 5,7,10 and 11 are closed). i also have the SCSI termination (J4) set with pinset 1 closed and 3 open. anyhow, i have run every program on the A2091 install disk (HD install, HD Prep, Format HD, etc.) and the HDToolbox numerous times and not once has the harddrive shown up or been found. i really have no clue what to do now. also, the HD spins up on boot-up and doesn't seem to be making any weird clicks or anything and the guy i got it from said it had been tested and working. thank you to anyone who cares to give this one a go!

Last edited by athleos; 20 January 2009 at 22:05.
Old 20 January 2009, 22:02   #2
Amiga1992

Hey Athleos! Welcome to EAB, the best Amiga spot on the net
Hope someone helps you out with this over here. I sure am useless with A2000 matters.
Old 20 January 2009, 23:07   #3
DoogUK
Doogster

i had same sorta situation on my 2000 with a gvp hc+8....it was the drive in the end...try another known working drive first.
Old 21 January 2009, 07:33   #4
athleos
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Hey Athleos! Welcome to EAB, the best Amiga spot on the net
Hope someone helps you out with this over here. I sure am useless with A2000 matters.
heya Akira, don't worry, i've got lots of A1200 questions you can help me with!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoogUK View Post
i had same sorta situation on my 2000 with a gvp hc+8....it was the drive in the end...try another known working drive first.
thanks for the response Doog, that was gonna be my next step. i was just hoping that maybe someone would have some insight that i didn't! when i get the time, i'll try another HD.
Old 21 January 2009, 18:43   #5
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
You can leave the autoboot ROM enabled (JP2 on) if the HD is the only thing on the chain.

But you need to not mix active termination (like the one on the HD) with the passive one the A2091 have. Try to find a passive termination for the cable and your problems will be sorted.

The old revision SCSI chip will have problems (sometimes) with removable media only, like CD-ROM and internal ZIP drives.

BTW: Do you know you can't have internal and external devices on the SCSI chain at the same time due the soldered resistor packs (termination) on the A2091?
Old 21 January 2009, 21:08   #6
athleos
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
You can leave the autoboot ROM enabled (JP2 on) if the HD is the only thing on the chain.

But you need to not mix active termination (like the one on the HD) with the passive one the A2091 have. Try to find a passive termination for the cable and your problems will be sorted.
very interesting! i did not know this. i'll have to google passive termination because i have no idea how to go about this!
Quote:
The old revision SCSI chip will have problems (sometimes) with removable media only, like CD-ROM and internal ZIP drives.

BTW: Do you know you can't have internal and external devices on the SCSI chain at the same time due the soldered resistor packs (termination) on the A2091?
that is interesting. i hope i have no need for any external SCSI devices! thanks so much for the info!
Old 22 January 2009, 15:07   #7
rkauer

Oh, the newest SCSI chip revision (-08) was available some time ago on the other forum.

Nathan had those very cheap, IIRC.
Old 27 January 2009, 01:58   #8
athleos
n00b

alright, i've got the passive termination at the end of the chain set up. i've tried two different HD's, both known to be working (with active termination disabled) and still no joy. i can't auto boot from the A2091 with an HD hooked up for some reason. if i switch the ROMs in the card it'll auto boot which is weird. i read somewhere that one of the pins on the ROMs sometimes needs to be removed? which pin on which ROM? anyone know? i've run out of ideas and i'm getting pretty frustrated.
Old 27 January 2009, 02:43   #9
Slayer
Amiga Member

This is going way back for me lol I have 8 A2000s and more A2091s than I can remember, all stacked downstairs...

let me see, I used to know this stuff inside out, up and down and under and over .

Perhaps plug the A2091 into another zorro slot in the daughter board?

Read the documentation again, there seems to be a few things in there that aren't usually attached to a normal old run of the mill Scsi HD for an Amiga.

I mean, scsi which has to consider being master or slave? weird...

Perhaps set the jumper to make the HD run in Scsi I mode.

ya on ya own, this kind of stuff remains better hands on
Old 27 January 2009, 03:12   #10
athleos
n00b

i found this quote from quite a while ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomMaster View Post
When using a Commodore A2091 SCSI Controller board with your Amiga 2000 always set the SCSI ID of the Boot Hard Drive to 0. Set your CD Rom drive to 3. The A2091 should be Device 7. It reads from 0 to 7, NOT from 7 to 0. SCSI IDs 0 to 2 are for hard drives. SCSI IDs 3 and 4 are for CD Rom drives. And SCSI IDs 5 and 6 are for ZIP drives, Tape drives, and Scanners. If you are not using the external 25-pin SCSI port, make sure that the three terminating resistors are still soldered on the A2091 board. If you want to use the external SCSI connector, then those resistors must be removed. Also, make sure that your SCSI CD-Rom drive is NOT too fast. It should be 12X or LESS! 2 and 4 speed CD Rom drives are the best choice for use with an Amiga 2000 computer, but they are very hard to find now. I have five (5) Amiga 2000s and they all work great. So, when it comes to these computers, I do know what I am talking about. The Amiga 2000 is my favorite computer of all time.
so i set my HD to SCSI address 0 but i don't know what else to do. it still isn't being recognised. the whole switching ROMs thing on this card has me worrying as well. maybe i should burn my own A2091 ROMs and make sure U12 is U12 and so on. if it still won't autoboot then maybe there's another issue with the card. the amiga recognizes the RAM on the card...? i don't have a manual for my A2091 either so i'm having a difficult time tracking down info.
Old 27 January 2009, 04:09   #11
rkauer

What size is the HD? Depending on the ROM version the A2091, an HD over 1Gb will not be recognized at all.

You need ROM version 7 to those "bigger" HD works.

Also remember to set the HD to be compatible with the ancient SCSI "1".
Old 27 January 2009, 04:53   #12
athleos
n00b

Quote:
What size is the HD? Depending on the ROM version the A2091, an HD over 1Gb will not be recognized at all.

You need ROM version 7 to those "bigger" HD works.

Also remember to set the HD to be compatible with the ancient SCSI "1".
the HD is 2 GB and i do have the rev. 7 ROMs. the HD is set as a SCSI 1 device as well. i'm totally lost now. i've never dealt with such a pain in the ass computer.
Old 27 January 2009, 08:06   #13
rkauer

Is the termination pack physically after the HD?

Sacking the termination out and turning on the built termination on the HD works?

Also prefer to set the HD to ID 0 (zero).

The Amiga HD activity LED lits? It blinks?
Old 27 January 2009, 08:14   #14
athleos
n00b

Quote:
Is the termination pack physically after the HD?
yes.
Quote:
Sacking the termination out and turning on the built termination on the HD works?
no. the built in termination on the HD is OFF and the passive terminator is plugged in AFTER the HD.
Quote:
Also prefer to set the HD to ID 0 (zero).
the SCSI address of the HD is 0.
Quote:
The Amiga HD activity LED lits? It blinks?
no. that was something i was curious about. i couldn't figure out why it wasn't blinking. the LED on the actual HD itself turns on and off but the LED plugged into the A2091 is always off. no blinking whatsoever.
Old 27 January 2009, 08:17   #15
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Do you have scsi.device in RAM:? (Does "Version full scsi.device" return the version number?)
Old 27 January 2009, 08:20   #16
athleos
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Do you have scsi.device in RAM:? (Does "Version full scsi.device" return the version number?)
i might need a little help with this one. do i type "version full scsi.device" in DOS? this is my first venture with an amiga.

[edit] alright so in the AmigaShell it says this: scsi.device 40.5 (09/13/93)
Old 27 January 2009, 09:27   #17
RetroGeek

Your problem is with Workbench 3.1 and that version of HDTools. Install Kickstart 2.04 ROM and Workbench 2.1. Then load up HDTools and see if it shows the hard drive. If not, then you have to add new hard drive and set up its parameters. After you make sure that the parameters are correct, save it. Next, you MUST low-level format the SCSI hard drive. Next, set up the partitions and reboot. The hard drive should now show up in Workbench. Sellect it and do the high-level format. Now, turn off the power and remove the Kickstart 2.04 ROM. Plug in the 3.1 ROM and power up the system. Boot the computer with your 3.1 INSTALL disk (not the 3.1 Workbench disk). The hard drive should show up. If it does not, load up the 3.1 HDTOOLS and see if the hard drive shows up. If it still does not show up, then that hard drive is not compatible with the A2091 SCSI controller. Also, a bad WD SCSI chip can also cause the problems that you are having. So, try changing that chip. I hope this helps.
Old 27 January 2009, 09:56   #18
RetroGeek

Oh, one more thing, make sure that the termination ON THE HARD DRIVE is set to on (jumper or resister packs installed). Also, check the parity jumper.
Old 27 January 2009, 10:15   #19
athleos
n00b

hey, thanks for all the info! first question, would Kickstart 1.3 work? i still have the 1.3 chip but i'd need to get WB1.3 on a disk. second question, setting the terminators to ON on my HD will turn on active termination. is that ok? third question, what do i want the parity set to?
Old 27 January 2009, 10:28   #20
rkauer

WB1.3 works, but you'll need the A2091 install disk. Also WB 1.3 is a pain on the back to work with.