English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 09 July 2013, 23:54   #1
Firestone

Freezing when copying files over network

Greetings Amigans....

Lately I've been busy restorating a few of my Amigas, in this case two A1200s with Blizzard 1230IV/50Mhz.

I'm experimenting with one of them to find a good optimised system, and I seem to have got to a problem I can't figure out.
The problem is when I try to copy large files over ethernet with one of the A1200s it seems to freeze. This happens both with using internet browsers such as iBrowse, AWeb, Voyager and so on.... even happens with DCTelnet when copying files over the ZModem-protocol.

For smallers files it seems to work fine, but as soon as they get larger than a few megabytes, the system is likely to crash.

Think this problem is on both machines when DOWNLOADING files to them. Could it be a problem that the machine can't keep up with writing the files to disk fast enough? We didn't exactly have 40Mbps connections back then

Or could it be an issue with poor performance from the powersupply? Maybe bad RAM?

Symptoms are that the screen just freezes. Pointer not moving, no guru meditation, nothing!

Filesystem on the testmachine is PFS3-AIO.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, both machines are running a PCMCIA-ethernet card with the cnet.device latest version from aminet.

Maybe there are some places in the TCP/IP-stack I could try to limit the incoming datarate to prevent it from "overflowing" the system?

EDIT:
Seems to have solved the problem changing maxtransfer to 0x1FE00. Downloaded several megabytes from Aminet and via telnet with no problems so far....

Last edited by Firestone; 10 July 2013 at 02:33. Reason: Seems to be solved...
Old 10 July 2013, 08:06   #2
Cymru

And here I thought the freezing was do to the blizzard.