English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 12 August 2019, 17:45   #141
Etze
A3000-Fan

There's "Musiker", too. But the music it generates mostly sound awful...
http://aminet.net/package/mus/misc/musiker_aw
Old 12 August 2019, 18:01   #142
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
[ Show youtube player ]

I remember using Algomusic but, if I recall correctly, it doesn't give you mod files, it just let you hear the music.

A way to grab those .mods would be ideal

Last edited by E-Penguin; 12 August 2019 at 18:06.
Old 12 August 2019, 19:15   #143
trydowave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLifeA1200 View Post
JoJo would prefer to work alone (it seems to me) with an game-engine to take care of the coding side of things.

As for "good artist" and "what a shame" comments etc. I respectfully disagree. When he's able to draw outside of ill-proportioned bobblehead figures, only then will he be a good artist in my estimation.
I have really dont have much opinion about jojo but hes a pretty competent artist. im not a fan of his SD booble head characters myself but his portraits are pretty good and i appreciate anyone who works in 16 colours. His pixel art isnt bad either. The thing that killed his most recent game for me is backbone rather than the art.
Level design isnt his strongest point though.

I think its best to get a small team when making a game as they can bring their own individual talents for music, coding etc. Only a few can do the whole thing... I'm thinking Lasse Öörni who made Steel ranger on the C64, That guys talented!
Old 12 August 2019, 21:46   #144
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
[...] That's because he didn't draw them. They're stock images found on the internet that have been color-reduced and had a dithered effect applied.
Do you mean he didn't draw these drawings : [ Show youtube player ]
Old 12 August 2019, 22:47   #145
kikems

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Do you mean he didn't draw these drawings : [ Show youtube player ]
I think he talk about Amiten. Obviously Jojo is a great pixel artist, I think nobody here doubts it.
Old 12 August 2019, 23:31   #146
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

That's a lot of drama.

You can argue if Jojo is a talented chap or not, but I saw those IK+ sprites, comparing to his drawings and I don't think he ripped them. He may have used them as an inspiration... but even without the blobby head, it still looks different enough IMO, even if he used them as a base. I don't think it's that bad really.

Now that the guy has issues, I can't disagree, and the diva tantrums he gives because he didn't win contests (both on the link you gave and here at EAB) or when people criticize his games are really very sad.

But I see no evidence of he is ripping out from other peoples work. Yeah, for me it was obvious his bigger drawings were traced from real photos/images, but I really don't see evidence to call him out. It's a whole different ballpark from what Amiten does.

In the other hand, crediting an automatic creator of music application as a musician in your game is really... weird as heck.

EDIT:

Quote:
Please, don't take this as a standard for spanish people. We aren't like these two, at all.
Just took a quick look at your twitter account...... erm....
Old 12 August 2019, 23:40   #147
lesta_smsc

Quote:
I don't think we should put Jojo & Amiten in the same basket.

In summary:

- The first one (Jojo) creates original content (until proven opposite, no gfx rip or whatever). His code skills makes him use a backbone engine. So what ? It remains original content created by him. I don't see it making any damage to the Amiga scene.

Even if the first one had a strange behaviour at the announcement of the competition result, his original work deserves attention.
I'd side with these comments. We are faced with many circumstances where people are unhappy with individuals and/or companies but the fact they have dealing with Amiga and our love for this wonderful machine keeps the window open for opportunity.

Unfortunately, I have not followed what's happened with jojo but it seems disappointing that things have turned sour.

He did seem likeable when he was posting here but I guess situations can change people.
Old 13 August 2019, 01:01   #148
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I knew that this kind of things referred in this topic were going to happen again sooner than later. Jojo and Kikems were complaining time ago about graphics used by Amiten in a very nice game (people liked the game), and now people are complaining just the same about Jojo's new work in development.

Come on, it's a one man work or a couple's what we are talking about.

Yes, it's just my thoughts, my idea. Let them breath please

Last edited by Retrofan; 13 August 2019 at 02:42.
Old 13 August 2019, 01:09   #149
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Let all the drama stay in Spain.
Old 13 August 2019, 01:14   #150
kikems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
I knew that these kind of things referred in this topic were going to happen again sooner than later. Jojo and Kikems were complaining time ago about graphics used by Amiten in a very nice game (people liked the game), and now people are complaining just the same about Jojo's new work in development.

Come on, it's a one man work or a couple's what we are talking about.

Yes, it's just my thoughts, my idea. Let them breath please
I've never said anything that's not true.
I do not understand that you see as a problem that some of us ask users to be honest with other users about their projects and especially when they ask for donations or money. I thinks it's a basic rule in any community to obtain a good relationship between users.

Last edited by kikems; 13 August 2019 at 01:31.
Old 13 August 2019, 04:04   #151
LongLifeA1200

Quote:
Yeah, for me it was obvious his bigger drawings were traced from real photos/images, but I really don't see evidence to call him out. It's a whole different ballpark from what Amiten does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikems View Post
I think he talk about Amiten. Obviously Jojo is a great pixel artist, I think nobody here doubts it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trydowave View Post
... his portraits are pretty good...
Quote:
Do you mean he didn't draw these drawings
Sad to say, yes (I am talking about JoJo073). He doesn't even need to trace. I've seen the original photos and know the technique he uses. He is quite happy to lead people to believe he illustrates them when in fact he didn't. He uses a color-reducing plugin, a dithering plugin and palette matching. The program does the hard work. The most difficult thing for him is choosing what image to google.
Old 13 August 2019, 09:00   #152
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Wow, so much emotion here...
Guys, calm down.

And yes, I think Amiten is in a whole other category than what JoJo does, as well.

I may not like those huge heads and lifeless eyes and his weird ideas for games, but at least that's some original content.
Old 13 August 2019, 09:26   #153
kikems

Sorry I not have time to spend with trolling actions of Dany Quest or Retrofan and their stupid things, they just try to distract the focus of the subject and take advantage to bother with absurd ideas and crazy arguments.

Jojo is a great pixel art of that I have no doubt, you can invent any excuse to say that he does it with a Wacom or reduces colors or any other crazy idea, but the reality is he knows how to draw well. Of course he is not the best pixel artist but he is one of the good ones.

Unfortunately for them to know how to program, know how to draw, know how to make music or know to do games does not give you the right to behave incorrectly with other users or the forum.

Everything is does not mean that I agree with the way he interact here in EAB with other users or that I agree with Jojo way of doing things.

I haven't commented on their games yet, I have not said that they are good or that they are bad, I have criticized him for not being honest about the music credits with arguments and with realities, not with assumptions or invented ideas.

Leave the forum deleting all his messages or replacing with ".." is not something that I approve of anyone who has been here benefiting from the visibility that the forum gave to their projects.

Last edited by kikems; 13 August 2019 at 09:47.
Old 13 August 2019, 09:51   #154
kikems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
And yes, I think Amiten is in a whole other category than what JoJo does, as well.
Of course their are different users with different talents, but both have been disrespectful to users and to the forum and that is the main reason why they are criticized here.
Old 13 August 2019, 11:35   #155
DamienD
Global Moderator

Oh wow, this thread has gone crazy overnight...

I will be cleaning it up shortly.
Old 13 August 2019, 11:43   #156
kikems

Quote:
Sad to say, yes (I am talking about JoJo073). He doesn't even need to trace. I've seen the original photos and know the technique he uses. He is quite happy to lead people to believe he illustrates them when in fact he didn't. He uses a color-reducing plugin, a dithering plugin and palette matching. The program does the hard work. The most difficult thing for him is choosing what image to google.
Sorry, I thought I was talking to a serious user and not to one who doesn't know what he is talking about. Obviously you don't know the difference between a photo and a drawing.
Old 13 August 2019, 15:53   #157
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
But I see no evidence of he is ripping out from other peoples work. Yeah, for me it was obvious his bigger drawings were traced from real photos/images, but I really don't see evidence to call him out. It's a whole different ballpark from what Amiten does.

Just read this on another thread:

Quote:
He should answer why his graphics spammed to Commodore Amiga and Amiga Graphics on Facebook have the palette 100% finished when he starts tracing. Absolutely no artist does that.
And this actually made a lot more sense.
Old 14 August 2019, 08:16   #158
LongLifeA1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikems View Post
Obviously you don't know the difference between a photo and a drawing.
They are photos manipulated with plugin effects. You are (or were) his friend and not familiar with the method used, so it is expected for there to be denial, initially.
Old 14 August 2019, 08:33   #159
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

Quote:
They are photos manipulated with plugin effects. You are (or were) his friend and not familiar with the method used, so it is expected for there to be denial, initially.
How would you know? I mean, it's easy to state stuff on the internet..
Old 14 August 2019, 09:22   #160
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Can only disagree. Look at this video he posted before quitting EAB :
[ Show youtube player ]

or the other various Jojo's drawing video on Y@utube :
link