English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 28 November 2023, 15:52   #4341
PeterK

Hi EctoOne,

is that really on a system with WB 3.1 = workbench.library v40?

The icon.library v44+ is only responsible for the masks on systems with workbench.library v44+. On older systems with WB 3.0/3.1 these masks are generated by patches like NewIcons or Birdie.

The NewIcons patch creates a simple Pen0=transparent mask for planar icons, the same as my icon.library does on WB v44+.

Birdie is able to create a FloodFill (from the border) mask if you use the options "FLOODMASKMWB" and "NOICONBORDER", but it does not like the NewIcons patch running at the same time with its Pen0=transparent mask.

The OS icon.library v44+ has also support for FloodFill on WB v44+, but I've removed the support for FloodFill in my library more than 10 years ago in order to save code for other new features. I always prefer to use 4-color icons and MWB icons with a frame (no transparency) with my option "PlanarFrames2", only ColorIcons frameless on WB v44+.

I didn't change anything in the latest updates concerning transparency, but I never use Birdie anywhere. I have to check that ... maybe later ...
Old 28 November 2023, 17:38   #4342
EctoOne

Yes it's with a 40 wb library.

But it seems I've found the cause of the problem and I'm really confused by it.
I'm using http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/UStartup to make it easier to toggle stuff and somehow too many of those separate files are responsible to mess with the transparency.
It doesn't matter if it is a simple line to relabel the ram disk or the complex block to enable MUI.
I also had an older version of your library on an older installation and it was the same.

The weird thing is that the amount of separate files seems lower than the amount I used to have. I might have added two more recently but I have to remove more before the issue is gone. This will probably take some time for me to figure out.

Edit: Seems like UStartup isn't the cause. I merged all files to use as user-startup and the error still appears. I'll noticed one missing ENDIF in one of the blocks, but it seems there's something else going on.

Last edited by EctoOne; 28 November 2023 at 18:38.
Old 30 November 2023, 18:27   #4343
EctoOne

Just a small update. I gave up on finding out the exact cause of my problem.
It seems that random commands caused it. Like ViNCEd start line:
Code:
;BEGIN ViNCEd
  SetVNC Quiet Mount Override as CON:
;END ViNCEd
I think xpkprefs was another one causing the same problem.
I really don't understand why that was happening and why it only would affect true icons.

I ended up just removing NewIcons(library) (while keeping DefIcons), used CreateOutline from Aminet to make an outline font version of my favorite icon font and added an Icon border removal tool. And with that I also was able to remove Birdie from my system which I only used for it's icon functions.

Having a proper outline font also fixes the issue with the different handling of dynamic outline fonts between NewIcons and iconlib46. One of them required to use Text&Field in the Font settings the other one not. Now I could switch to a higher workbench.library version without the need to adjust font prefs.
Old 30 November 2023, 19:46   #4344
PeterK

Yes, you could switch to a higher workbench.library or even better completely to a newer OS like 3.2.x. But as already mentioned before, my library has no support for FloodFill anymore.
Old 30 November 2023, 20:59   #4345
EctoOne

I just prefer working on 3.1 to see what can be done. I find it somehow enjoyable to figure out things.
And there isn't as much of that on 3.2. It's about the way, not the target. If I wanted a good out of the box system I would use Windows or a Linux distro. But I've build my Linux system basically from scratch and haven't used my Windows laptop in like over 2 years now.
Old 02 December 2023, 19:02   #4346
PeterK

Mini-update to #580 attached to the first post of this thread:
Code:
 Added a workaround for a bug in Startmenu 1.30 from
 Martin R. Elsner (MRE). Without any understandable
 reason Startmenu uses IconControlA() with SetWidth to
 change the internal width of the chunky image to 10.
 This setting is ignored now for the task "Startmenu".
 This library needs the chunky image for DirectDrawing
 the exact RGB icon colors on Hi/TrueColor screens. I
 don't know what the author really wants to set to 10,
 but changing the width without updating the image is
 quite pointless and results in an image corruption.

Fixed a bug in my palette otimization for ColorIcons
 when there was only 1 shared palette for both images.
 The transparent color of the 2. image wasn't updated.
 Sharing just one palette for both images is rarely a
 good idea, because mostly both images will then need
 more bits per pixel than for two smaller palettes,
 and therefore the image compression may even suffer.

In the version string of #579 a space character was
 missing, confusing the AmigaOS version command a bit.
Startmenu 1.30 in WBStartup:
Please don't use the Project icon (as created by the Installer script), but copy the tool MRE:Executables/Startmenu and its icon into WBStartup. It won't work with the Project icon, because this causes a different task name than just "Startmenu" and I don't want to search for lots paths.

Or as an alternative, you could also patch Startmenu 1.30 with two NOPs at the file offset $5DBA and there just replace $4EAE FF64 (JSR ...) with $4E71 4E71 (NOP, NOP).

Btw., Startmenu 1.20 from Aminet has no similar bug like trashing SetWidth.

Last edited by PeterK; 04 December 2023 at 16:49.
Old 03 December 2023, 02:45   #4347
pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EctoOne View Post
I just prefer working on 3.1 to see what can be done. I find it somehow enjoyable to figure out things.
It's quite amazing how far one can extend 3.1 with the help of Aminet!
Old 18 February 2024, 22:40   #4348
PeterK

There was always the problem with ColorIcons on WB 3.0/3.1 that the colors were never remapped after switching the Workbench to another screenmode. The 30 years old WB does not know anything else than planar icons, which won't need a remapping to a different screen palette.

That's why I've written a small tool "RefreshIcons", which should update or reload all icons in the open windows as well as all the disk icons and left out icons on the Workbench screen. For the first part, it tries to launch the WB menu item "Refresh all" after giving it the command shortcut key <DEL>. I hope that this key is not already used by other WB menu patches. No, it won't delete anything, but the "Refresh All" menu entry can then be executed by sending the <R-Command>+<DEL> shortcut from my tool.

The second part tries to use the workbench.library function UpdateWorkbench() if there is a real "disk.info" file on a volume. Then it also adds all entries of the ".backdrop" files, which appear as left out icons on the WB screen. If there exists no "disk.info" file, but only a deficon appears for a volume then it can not be updated by the workbench.library function and all the left out icons have to be removed before a DiskChange for that drive can reload everything. Floppies may take a long time for doing a disk change. That's why my tool waits at least 5 seconds for them to finish. The Ram Disk handler has no support for the Inhibit = DiskChange packet. Therefore, I simply read the icon with GetDiskObjectNew() again, if it didn't exist, and then write it as a real "disk.info" to RAM:.

You can copy my tool and its icon to any drawer on WB 3.1, use it as a left out icon on the screen or execute it from a shell or a menu. Try it out after a screenmode change when the ColorIcons appear in the wrong colors or just as black image masks, which usually happens after switching from Hi/TrueColor to planar screens. Please tell me about any problems, because this is the first public version, and I have no Amiga hardware to test it. If it works reliable I might integrate it later into the icon.library. My source code is also included in the attachment.

The tool can be used on a WB up to v45, because WB v47 has already a different menu layout (one additional item for disks). My program only does a simple check whether menu 0 item 5 looks like the "Version" entry for the "About" requester by checking the command shortcut key for being a "?". If that is not the case then the program won't do anything and just returns.

Last edited by PeterK; 25 February 2024 at 23:54.
Old 18 February 2024, 23:28   #4349
AMIGASYSTEM

Great Peter, RefreshIcons would have been very useful on AROS x86
Old 19 February 2024, 14:54   #4350
PeterK

I'm afraid, that I can't help you by writing a similar tool for Aros x86, Carlo.

But maybe the Aros coders can get some inspiration from my code, although it's far from being perfect yet.
Old 19 February 2024, 18:01   #4351
AMIGASYSTEM

Yes I thought about it, I will try to ask, of course if the source was in "C" language it might be easier.

I am not a developer, on my AROS One x86 sometimes I managed to compile some "Simple" source
Old 26 February 2024, 00:07   #4352
PeterK

An update for my WB 3.1 RefreshIcons tool (from post #4348). This tool now won't add a shortcut key <DEL> to the WB menu item "Update all" anymore and the code should be a bit safer and systemfriendly. It now uses an IDCMP MENUPICK message only to execute the "Update all" function for all icons in the open WB windows and then refreshes also all disks and left out icons on WB 3.1. This program still needs a 68020+ CPU, an update for the 68000 may come later.

Last edited by PeterK; 17 March 2024 at 21:06.
Old 14 March 2024, 15:01   #4353
pixie

This is an icon set Inspired on CloverIcons and on those of MagicWB. It is firstly targeted at 640x512 resolutions and I hope to do it also for other resolutions. The main goal is that the ratio of original Workbench is maintained, but that it take advantage of extra resolution.

The windows try to maintain the original ratio but adapted to higher resolution. The scanlines are added on winuae filter (D3D:CRT-Guest-SM-Hires-SmartRes-Interface-Interlace) for that ultimate nostalgia x factor xD
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	icons_640400.png
Views:	64
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	81824  
Attached Files
File Type: lha iconSet.lha (33.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 14 March 2024, 16:42   #4354
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
This is an icon set Inspired on CloverIcons and on those of MagicWB. It is firstly targeted at 640x512 resolutions ...
... The scanlines are added on winuae filter for that ultimate nostalgia x factor xD
Great Thank you for starting to design another nice icon set, Pixie! I've added it to my collection, but I prefer to use it without activating that scanline filter in WinUAE.

-----------------------------

Btw, I'm still working on some improvements for my RefreshIcons tool. I've already fixed an update problem for the Ram Disk icon when DefIcons is installed, because that reads the wrong colored images from its cache again. My workaround loads Env:Sys/def_RAM.info directly now. Another problem are drawer icons with open windows, which the WB 3.1 function "Update all" won't remove and replace. It's quite difficult to get these drawers and their names. The only possible way seems to access the private data structure and the internal lists of workbench.library. WB v44+ has a WorkbenchControl() function to get access to WBObjects, but WB 3.1 has no such interface. WIP ... maybe later, RefreshIcons can become a commodity for WBStartup, which monitors CloseWorkbench() and OpenWorkbench(), and then starts the refresh automatically ...
Old 14 March 2024, 20:14   #4355
pixie

On thing I am noticing is that only the second icon alpha is working as it should. I am making the icons using Join. I reckon it has been a bit of a time since I've last used Icon library (I am starting building a new system) but I don't remember having that problem before. I went over the ham8 disk and changed the background and the problem persists, is this something new?

I am running on WB31 (both my system and the your adf)

Updated: added a screenshot from a previous build
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ham_background.png
Views:	40
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	81827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_9.png
Views:	40
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	81828  

Last edited by pixie; 14 March 2024 at 20:23.
Old 15 March 2024, 13:24   #4356
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
... only the second icon alpha is working as it should.... but I don't remember having that problem before. I went over the ham8 disk and changed the background and the problem persists, is this something new?
I am running on WB31 (both my system and the your adf)
I don't know which version of icon.library you are referring to?
Quote:
Version libs:icon.library FILE FULL
Most likely you have forgotten to run the NewIcons patch from your startup-sequence, because that is responsible for the transparency over the background. If FBlit is installed then NiRTGset might also be required and the preferences for NewIcons must be set correctly in NiPrefs and saved in ENVARC:NewIcons.prefs.

I've tested the last HAM8 version 51.4.566 (but with CGX4 installed, not FBlit) and that seems to work. Nevertheless, my HAM versions still have some bugs and could be improved a lot, but the development is discontinued due to my lack of motivation to rewrite these experimental HAM versions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IconSetOnWB3.1TrueColor.png
Views:	24
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	81834   Click image for larger version

Name:	WB31withPALHiResHAM8.png
Views:	33
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	81835  

Last edited by PeterK; 15 March 2024 at 13:39.
Old 15 March 2024, 13:47   #4357
pixie

I simple tested the ham8 disk on this thread, I assumed to be the most recent one. Thanks for heading me in the right direction
Old 15 March 2024, 13:54   #4358
PeterK

No, the icon.library on the HAM8 ADF is an old version #513. The latest update in my Aminet package is #566, but it's not 100 % bug free (I think there was something wrong under DOpus5, can't remember exactly at the moment what it was).
Old 17 March 2024, 21:36   #4359
PeterK

Another update for my WB 3.1 RefreshIcons tool to v1.2.

It has support now for the 68000 CPU and drawer icons which have open windows are updated as well as all hidden icons in "Silent Drawers" (closed windows), but which still have open child windows. The only exception for these two mentioned cases are deficons, because non-existing icons can't be updated.

Since these two new features depend directly on the internal Workbench data structure, their support is restricted to WB v40 at the moment, otherwise just skipped. I must check the structure layout of WB v39 and maybe newer versions first.

Updating icons on floppy disks can take quite a long time. I hope that waiting for 5 seconds is enough, but that is still faster than rebooting.

I've also included some nice icons which were created by Mason. Thanks a lot!

Last edited by PeterK; 18 March 2024 at 16:50.
Old 18 March 2024, 16:49   #4360
PeterK

After checking the WB structures on v39 and doing some tests without getting any Enforcer hits, I decided to support Workbench 3.0 and 3.1 with RefreshIcons v1.3 now, on WB v44-v45 the access to internal structures is disabled, v47 is not supported at all, but nobody needs this tool on OS 3.5+.

RefreshIcons may next become a commodity for the WBStartup drawer, which could monitor CloseWorkbench() and OpenWorkbench() calls to update the icons then automatically.
Attached Files
File Type: lha RefreshIcons13.lha (34.5 KB, 13 views)