English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 28 July 2011, 06:04   #181
Mequa

Floppy disk Blitz Basic 2 on AROS-68k?

Toni, thanks a lot for your hard work in getting AMOSPro to run under AROS-68k.

In case you are interested, I attach a zipped ADF of Blitz Basic 2 V1.8 from Back To The Roots. I also attach the log files on attempting to run it on AROS-68k (tested on AROS-20110714). It currently reboots shortly after launching.

To launch on AROS-68k/Workbook (tested on AROS-20110714, RTG disabled) on booting the ADF into Workbook, open the AROS-Shell from the pull-down menu and type "Blitz2", and press enter. It will attempt to launch the Blitz2 text editor, "Ted". (I have also noticed that the mouse pointer may also be invisible if it doesn't crash immediately.)
Attached Files
File Type: zip BlitzBasic2V18.zip (312.7 KB, 377 views)
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (10.9 KB, 330 views)
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (13.6 KB, 355 views)
Old 29 July 2011, 11:47   #182
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mequa View Post
I was wondering if there are plans to include a replacement "Workbench disk" ADF which will boot into Workbook (not enough space for Wanderer on a floppy), but built from free/AROS-68k code, and perhaps including a few very lightweight applications?
Usual answer: too early. Anything can change, startup-sequence probably breaks every few weeks, size of programs can become too big etc..

Quote:
P.S. Does there exist an open-source build of the "C:LoadWB" executable to launch Workbook under AROS-68k? (Of course this can be copied from an original Workbench disk, but an open-source build for AROS-68k Workbook might be a good idea too).
Very minimal C:LoadWB implemented today.

Code:
int main(void)
{
    struct WorkbenchBase *WorkbenchBase = TaggedOpenLibrary(TAGGEDOPEN_WORKBENCH);
    if (WorkbenchBase) {
    	StartWorkbench(0, NULL);
    	CloseLibrary((struct Library*)WorkbenchBase);
    }
    return 0;
}

EDIT: Always use -seriallog command line parameter when including winuaelog.txt using AROS ROMs. (Built-in enables it automatically, extrernal ROM images won't)
Old 01 August 2011, 07:38   #183
Mequa

Floppy disk Amiga AROS-68k Emulation Pack Installer

If anyone is interested, I have made a Win32 installer for easy install of the latest nightly build of AROS-68k (2011-07-31) with WinUAE (2.3.2):

Amiga AROS-68k Emulation Pack.exe (Installer):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W8I51DJT

Amiga AROS-68k Emulation Pack.exe (ZIP Archive):
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0U0MYGHF

I also added a Workbook launcher to the install folder ("Amiga AROS - Workbook.exe"), which will launch Workbook instead of Wanderer with Toni's new C:LoadWB replacement.
Old 03 August 2011, 22:17   #184
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Arghh.. AMOS calls dos.library/LoadSeg() with A6 pointing to ExecBase.. Some stupid workaround needed..
Stupid workaround now done
Old 04 August 2011, 06:01   #185
Mequa

Excellent work - I'll test my unpatched AMOS-3D game ADF with the latest nightly.

Question: Are there plans to eventually support booting into AmigaOS 3.5 and 3.9 using the AROS-68k ROM, or is this not a priority at this stage?
Old 09 August 2011, 00:39   #186
GBAura

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Changed for now until someone comes up with a better one
Does 'Legal KickStart ROM' make more sense?
Old 09 August 2011, 01:13   #187
NovaCoder

Yep I like it, 'Legal KickStart ROM (AROS)'
Old 09 August 2011, 03:51   #188
Mequa

You forgot "FREE". Amiga Forever is legal too but not too cheap.

How about "Free and legal Kickstart ROM replacement (AROS-68k)"?
Old 09 August 2011, 07:16   #189
mihcael
Zone Friend

Quote:
You forgot "FREE". Amiga Forever is legal too but not too cheap.

How about "Free and legal Kickstart ROM replacement (AROS-68k)"?
Almost back to what it was originally!
Old 09 August 2011, 15:18   #190
Ezrec

Quote:
Excellent work - I'll test my unpatched AMOS-3D game ADF with the latest nightly.

Question: Are there plans to eventually support booting into AmigaOS 3.5 and 3.9 using the AROS-68k ROM, or is this not a priority at this stage?
Somebody send me AmigaOS 3.5 and 3.9 CDs, and I'll work on the compatibility.

- Jason McMullan, AROS m68k developer
Old 09 August 2011, 15:50   #191
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

One big reason for AOS crashes: Make sure RTG is not installed (Currently most compatible solution is to remove all monitor drivers in devs:monitors). Any attempt to load AOS RTG causes immediate crash.
Old 14 August 2011, 21:18   #192
synchro
Sending You Back In Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0 View Post
actually guys I dont think that a FreeKick solution wouldn't damage Amiga-Forever at all

I suspect that they can be empowered (as much as the rest of the community) by it.

Amiga Forever is a very good legal product that contains a lot of great games and apps - even a workbench that, although can be improved - does provide a great basis for it.
Agreed....I have created quite a few projects in my time for myself and others that enable me to run any amiga stuff i want ...BUT !!

Even i own a Legal Amiga Forever and a C64 Forever and i would Highly recommend everyone here buying one....IMO a genuine Amiga,C64 etc collector/fan should be willing to pay out as well as collecting stuff for free. Its all Amiga support at the end of the day
Old 15 August 2011, 15:28   #193
Ezrec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezrec View Post
Somebody send me AmigaOS 3.5 and 3.9 CDs, and I'll work on the compatibility.
I was surprised.

As of today, AmigaOS 3.9 mostly works out-of-the-box so long as you remove/rename SYS:Libs/workbench.library - there seems to be some incompatibility with AROS's build-in icon.library.

Some math libraries were missing from the AROS ROM, they should be in tomorrow's build (fixes the 'missing resource.library' popup)
Old 19 August 2011, 03:11   #194
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezrec View Post
I was surprised.

As of today, AmigaOS 3.9 mostly works out-of-the-box so long as you remove/rename SYS:Libs/workbench.library - there seems to be some incompatibility with AROS's build-in icon.library.
Cool, that's really great news. Sounds like we are not too far from soft kicking a 'free and legal' AROS ROM using our ACA's
Old 27 August 2011, 21:12   #195
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I am totally stuck with real hardware issues that can't happen in emulation. Namely 68060 copyback cache. If it is enabled, Blizzard SCSI hangs during booting, time to hang is random.

MMU tables that set caching modes are correct (same as 68060.library sets). Even 68060 rev5 and older official errata workaround is enabled.

Also 68060 cyberstorm PPC and fastata is reported to have same kinds of hanging issues. It must be AROS bug somewhere. I hope.. (in worst case it is driver bug that is masked by some unknown AOS "feature"..)

Argh.

Other problem is Picasso96 driver compatiblity issues. I really need more RTG cards and an A4000, thanks (or A3000 compatible 68040+ accelerator board). 68030 A3000 + PicassoII is probably too slow and has too small caches..

Other changes:

Lots of other compatibility bugs has been found and fixed.

icon.library problem is fixed but OS3.9 can still crash during booting because of bug in OS 3.9 workbench.library!: Its Open/Close routines are not semaphore protected and can run at the same time = bad things happen.. (Another reason is probably kernel scheduling difference or something else but it still is a AOS workbench.library or c:loadwb bug)

Full shell startup packet support will be coming soon. This should finally fix last remaining WB1.x boot problems. Jason has been examining this very undocumented BCPL "feature". (Ok, whole BCPL Tripos is a so called "feature")
Old 27 August 2011, 21:51   #196
matthey
Banned

Quote:
I am totally stuck with real hardware issues that can't happen in emulation. Namely 68060 copyback cache. If it is enabled, Blizzard SCSI hangs during booting, time to hang is random.

MMU tables that set caching modes are correct (same as 68060.library sets). Even 68060 rev5 and older official errata workaround is enabled.
Thomas Richter (ThoR) knows the 68k MMU and caching like the back of his hand and he is still active. You could either post on http://www.Natami.net which he frequents or send him an e-mail (same as always). I bet he can find the problem if you can post links to the source files that are most likely to contain the problems (MMU and cache setup and handling).

Quote:
Other changes:

Lots of other compatibility bugs has been found and fixed.

icon.library problem is fixed but OS3.9 can still crash during booting because of bug in OS 3.9 workbench.library!: Its Open/Close routines are not semaphore protected and can run at the same time = bad things happen.. (Another reason is probably kernel scheduling difference or something else but it still is a AOS workbench.library or c:loadwb bug)
Does that include the latest workbench.library 45.131 (04/15/06)?
Old 27 August 2011, 22:10   #197
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
Thomas Richter (ThoR) knows the 68k MMU and caching like the back of his hand and he is still active. You could either post on http://www.Natami.net which he frequents or send him an e-mail (same as always). I bet he can find the problem if you can post links to the source files that are most likely to contain the problems (MMU and cache setup and handling).
I have already contacted him about other MMU issues. But it is not MMU problem, it is "bug somewhere" that is very very difficult to find..

Crash or illegal access (MMU bus error) would be easy to debug. Hang isn't, especially when other tasks keep running normally (floppy keeps clicking etc..)

Quote:
Does that include the latest workbench.library 45.131 (04/15/06)?
I have only confirmed with version 45.127 (2001-02-21)
Old 09 September 2011, 22:36   #198
Rodomoc

Quote:
Other problem is Picasso96 driver compatiblity issues. I really need more RTG cards and an A4000, thanks (or A3000 compatible 68040+ accelerator board). 68030 A3000 + PicassoII is probably too slow and has too small caches..
Have a3000 w/ a3640(v3.1) + GVP Spectrum Video. What can I do to help?

Old 10 September 2011, 10:29   #199
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodomoc View Post
Have a3000 w/ a3640(v3.1) + GVP Spectrum Video. What can I do to help?
Copy Spectrum.card and CirrusGD542X.chip from your Picasso96 installation to same directory as arosbootstrap and aros.elf.gz.
Boot to aros using arosbootstrap:

arosbootstrap aros.elf.gz spectrum.card cirrusgd542x.chip

(Use romsplit to extract A3000 scsi.device and include it in arosbootstrap command line if you want to boot from A3000 scsi controller, aros does not have built-in support)

Keep both mouse buttons pressed, wait for boot menu which should open on your RTG monitor, 640x480x8 resolution.

If not, include serial log (null modem cable + USB adapter is usually the easiest solution, 115200 8N1)

WARNING: current aros builds may be quite unstable again, there has been major internal change recently. It is always good idea to first test if boot menu or "no bootable media" image appears without any extra modules.
Old 12 September 2011, 23:30   #200
Narf the Mouse

I have a name idea - AROS AMOK.

...Although, considering programming, that may be too accurate...