English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 29 January 2009, 08:23   #1
Gazmoid

Kickstart into MMU

Hi, this is my first post here. Finally got an old A1200 back ( 1D4 3.0 roms ). A long time ago I was an Amiga programmer ( worked on a number of games ) .... Here is the fun part. Haven't touched an amiga in a LONG time so I'm forgetting so much, actually I jumped ship on the Amiga whilst lots was still happening. ... Anyway.
I installed a CF drive ( 4gb Sandisk II extreme ) , no problem !
I installed a Power Computing Viper 1230/28 RTC ... It works great but,

I really want to map some different kickstarts for running some older games. I know this board has a maprom function, but have no way of knowing how to make this work. Also the board has the MMU. Can I map the kickstart ( eg 1.3 or 1.2 , even 3.1 ) using the MMU. The board is loaded with 8Mb ( which is the max I believe )..

Does anyone have a software disk or manual for this board, or can tell me how to MMU the kickstart. What software do I need and how do I do it.

I would really appreciate some help with this.
Cheers,
Gaz.

AdSense AdSense  
Old 29 January 2009, 09:08   #2
keropi

the best way to run old games is by using WHDLoad .
check it here: www.whdload.de
basically it is a program that allows games to run from workbench , and quit back to workbench (like running a game on a windows pc). no more disks, no more custom kickstarts, no more loading times, no worries if you have expanded amigas with 040/060 cpus etc... Your current setup is ideal for whdload
You can get the games from KG's site http://kgwhd.whdownload.com
and be sure to check KGLoad too! (see forum section here)
Old 29 January 2009, 10:08   #3
Gazmoid

Thanks for that. I really appreciate the heads up on the file finding.
I have been planning to use WHDLoad, but I'm still naturally curious about booting to say 1.3 or 3.1 using the MMU. I always was a natural tinkerer !
Gaz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keropi View Post
the best way to run old games is by using WHDLoad .
check it here: www.whdload.de
basically it is a program that allows games to run from workbench , and quit back to workbench (like running a game on a windows pc). no more disks, no more custom kickstarts, no more loading times, no worries if you have expanded amigas with 040/060 cpus etc... Your current setup is ideal for whdload
You can get the games from KG's site http://kgwhd.whdownload.com
and be sure to check KGLoad too! (see forum section here)

Old 29 January 2009, 11:27   #4
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
skick, remapollo..
Old 06 February 2009, 08:07   #5
Gazmoid

skick

Remapollo only works with 040 and higher and skick doesn't use the mmu.

Anyone ?

Old 06 February 2009, 08:25   #6
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
The tools I think you need are tude and skick. The MMU is useful only to copy the ROM to RAM (and kill half a megabyte in the process).

Remember that if you change the kickstart to anything under 2.05 (37300) you will loose the IDE controller too.

But there is an utility on Aminet called Get SCSI, who grabs the SCSI.device from the current ROM and save it to disk, where is a simple task of moving it to the expansion drawer to use the HD with those old kickstarts.
Old 06 February 2009, 08:42   #7
Eliotg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazmoid View Post

Anyone ?
why you want use the mmu for softkick 1.2 or 1.3 kickstarts
mmu softkick is for stability on workbench and applications
if you want softkick older kickstarts skick is ok
Old 19 February 2009, 04:55   #8
Gazmoid

Basically I want to drop any ROM I want into RAM have it appear ( due to the MMU ) be be sitting in the right place ie $F800000 or $FC00000 ... Sure I have WHDLOAD but I really like using some of my old originals ....
I'd like to boot into 1.2 or 1.3 rom. HDD's and CD's don't matter at this point.

Old 20 January 2010, 07:07   #9
AmiDevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazmoid View Post

Anyone ?
Is SKick working with your Apollo board? Can it load kick 3.1 into fastram? Which SKick version are You using?

Old 21 January 2010, 07:04   #10
Damion

Quote:
I really want to map some different kickstarts for running some older games. I know this board has a maprom function, but have no way of knowing how to make this work. Also the board has the MMU. Can I map the kickstart ( eg 1.3 or 1.2 , even 3.1 ) using the MMU. The board is loaded with 8Mb ( which is the max I believe )..
If your board is like this one (relabeled mtec 1230), the maprom jumper probably uses some hardware on the card to remap the installed kickstart into fastram - I doubt it uses the MMU, and there's likely no way to use it for remapping other kickstarts, unlike Apollo and Blizzard cards (which have REMApollo and Blizkick ).

You could try MuMapROM, part of the MMULib package. Running MuFastROM (twice IIRC) after the ROM is remapped should free up some chipram. I used this a few times on my A2000 to test homebrew ROM images, it worked OK.

However, MuMapROM can be a PITA to get working, and might not work at all with your hardware, so hopefully someone will chime in with a better solution.
AdSense AdSense