English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 09 June 2015, 23:35   #1
wilsonsamm

Amiga hardware reset

How does this work? The 68k reads the values starting from 0x000000000 to initialise SSP and PC, but the amiga has Chip RAM there, which is presumably uninitialised.

Old 10 June 2015, 09:24   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Hardware reset overlays KS ROM over chip RAM, initial PC and SP will come from beginning of KS ROM. (Early boot code then disables it with CIA access)
Old 10 June 2015, 11:28   #3
phx
Natteravn

The official software reset routine is like this:
Code:
        cnop    0,4
        lea     2.l,a0
        reset
        jmp     (a0)
The RESET instruction resets the hardware and makes the ROM appear at $0. The JMP to the reset-vector is prefetched and can be executed even though the code may be in Chip RAM.

Note that this reset routine does currently not work on the Minimig.
Old 10 June 2015, 13:12   #4
mark_k

Won't that routine not work, because the RESET instruction isn't longword-aligned?
Old 10 June 2015, 13:18   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

It makes no difference, it was never needed.

68000/10 always prefetches next word (prefetch does not care about long alignment, it was simply wrong assumption), 68020+ prefetches at least 1 long word which is always aligned to long but it does not matter, next word is always part of the long fetch anyway.
Old 11 June 2015, 13:48   #6
phx
Natteravn

Indeed. And I always thought the longword-alignment was needed for 68020+.
Old 20 June 2015, 10:43   #7
TheDarkCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by phx View Post
The official software reset routine is like this:
Code:
        cnop    0,4
        lea     2.l,a0
        reset
        jmp     (a0)
The RESET instruction resets the hardware and makes the ROM appear at $0. The JMP to the reset-vector is prefetched and can be executed even though the code may be in Chip RAM.

Note that this reset routine does currently not work on the Minimig.
Excuse me, I am not sure: the jmp (a0) then jumps to code in chip RAM or in ROM?
Old 20 June 2015, 11:18   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkCoder View Post
Excuse me, I am not sure: the jmp (a0) then jumps to code in chip RAM or in ROM?
It jumps to chip RAM address (2) which was overlayed with ROM mirror (Data comes from f80002). Reset enables ROM overlay.
Old 20 June 2015, 12:32   #9
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Excuse me: I always have to press A-A-Ctrl with my Amiga with a Fast ATA. I've tried all kind of reboot/reset programs without sucess.

Coudn't it be made a better program?
Old 20 June 2015, 12:43   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Excuse me: I always have to press A-A-Ctrl with my Amiga with a Fast ATA. I've tried all kind of reboot/reset programs without sucess.

Coudn't it be made a better program?
It looks like FastATA (which version?) fails to detect CPU generated reset signal (very short pulse) and only resets itself with hardware reset (long reset signal).

AFAIK you can't generate hardware reset from software, at least without extra hardware.

FastATA probably have some register that can be used to reset it if someone bothers to find out how it works. (I guess I'll have to emulate it some day..)
Old 20 June 2015, 13:18   #11
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've got a nice program, "Reboot Start" that I use for launching ScummVM AGA, as it doesn't work with CyberbugFixAga. Unfortunately as I can't reboot, Reboot Start can't work. It works on WinUAE, though. You can try it (AmiKit:Games/ScummVM/Reboot-Start).

Reboot Start can also work for example with PT1210, and it's possible that using Reboot Start the authors maybe could reconsider include it on AKReal as long as it woudn't run from WB but from booting so it would have all of the available ram.

But unfortunately the Fast-ATA surely isn't the cause (I shoudn't have mentioned it), as recently I've seen it also happens without it. It's something in my setup that needs a longer reset.
Old 20 June 2015, 14:41   #12
daxb

Yes, FastATA hasn`t problems with reset. Its more or less simple to catch the causer of reset problem. Start without S-S and launch a reset tool and see if it works. If yes, start S-S to some point and try again until you find the place it doesn`t work more. I had a software hardreset freeze what was cause by RemApollo (MuDrap) with mmu.library. Happily THOR fixed it.
Old 20 June 2015, 15:48   #13
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Sorry I was telling what I thought. But now I've tried it.

In my A1200/ACA1231-42 (anything else), using AKReal it always reboots with software, but using Reboot-Start always hangs the reboot.

In my A1200/1230-56/Fast ATA MKIV (appart only an unused CD player) using AKReal it never reboots with software.

So I think there are two problems: the way Reboot-Start reboots on real hardware and the Fast ATA.

Last edited by Retrofan; 20 June 2015 at 17:15.
Old 20 June 2015, 17:13   #14
daxb

You just have to find out. Try the way I described (yes it is lazy work). If you think the FastATA is the reason then just "disable" it temporary by comment out ata3.driver in your S-S. If you run acatune then I would check that too.
Old 20 June 2015, 17:27   #15
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I've just disabled both from the s-s and it keeps hanging with a reboot (power light blinking). I think anyway that although disabled from the s-s the Fast ATA MKIV has something to be.

Remember the other Amiga is running the same AKReal program, all the same (edit: but the screenmode).

Edit: I've just tried with my amiga/fast ATA with ColdReboot and it doesn't hang, but it takes me to the insert floppy screen of 3.9Rom.

My reset problem may be caused by my screenmode, HighGFX:

"Ever had a problem with a soft reboot program that uses ColdReboot()? Well,
this routine in V39 is broken, and if you reboot from DblPAL or Multiscan,
for example, the machine usually freezes."

Edit2: No, it hangs the same with Pal High Res Laced that I use in the other miggy.

Last edited by Retrofan; 20 June 2015 at 18:45.