English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 September 2023, 21:37   #1
crazyc

a1200 gayle adapter and RTC

I am seeking to use a RTC on my a1200, but without using the motherboard clockport and with a TF1260 (so no clockport there either).

The following device ( https://www.amiga-shop.net/en/Amiga-...ter::1065.html )
seems to suggest that it should work with a RTC as long as the specific programme from aminet is used. I don't mind having to put a line in the user startup etc to load the time from the RTC, thats fine, as long as it works.

My question is whether anyone has actually done this yet and got it to work - I haven't had a definitive answer back yet from the seller - I only asked recently.

Cheers
Old 07 September 2023, 22:26   #2
crazyc

The reason for avoiding the motherboard clockport is that I have a rapid road using that. I have previously tried using 2 different clockport expanders to add in an RTC but let's just say that resulted in lots of frustration followed by magic smoke escaping and likely damage to the motherboard as well. I am not messing with that again....
Now using a different motherboard...

Reason for not using the network method you suggest (which I was doing previously) is that i have another very specific issue I am trying to work around, which will be the subject of a different request for help shortly....

Actualy I should probably resolve that one first. It relates to supercars 2 AGA (whdload) which crashes after a few levels if I have the pcmcia card in. Because I have this a1200 currently set up inside a checkmate case I don't want to have to remove the card every time I play. I cannot find a way of shutting down the card sufficiently to stop it happening. Might have to try a cnet card rather than 3c589. I can reproduce this each time and its not roadshow as that works fine on my towered a1200.
Old 07 September 2023, 22:31   #3
Calabazam

I have this addon in my A1200 and i needed too a clockport RTC since i switched to Vampire. I have done it the other way around. I have moved my Subway to the Gayle clockport with subwayA600.device and put the RTC on the original clockport because i was as uncertain as you about how to change the clock adress.
Old 07 September 2023, 22:37   #4
crazyc

Good to know that it works that way. Unfortunately the rapid road isn't listed as working with that gayle clockport or I would try it.
Old 07 September 2023, 22:43   #5
Daedalus

Yep, the RTC is a special case that some clockport expanders don't account for, so it won't work on those boards. I would go with the suggestion - connect the RapidRoad to the Gayle adaptor instead, which will let the RTC be handled by the OS at its standard address. Some Gayle adaptors will give you an alternative address that's not normally available at the motherboard clockport, and using this address will allow faster transfers which would be beneficial for the USB host. Check the details of your Gayle adaptor - 0xD90001 is the address of the high-speed port. The RapidRoad should work with that address, though I'm not sure if the software has to be told or if you need to use a different driver version. Perhaps the Gayle adaptor is faulty? Or are you sure the cable's connected the right way around?
Old 07 September 2023, 22:53   #6
crazyc

I was just going by the web site for the gayle adapter listed in the first post that says RR doesn't work with it.
Old 07 September 2023, 23:04   #7
crazyc

Yeah but thats a clockport expander and my experience detailed earlier with several including that one I think means I am not going near them again
Old 07 September 2023, 23:26   #8
crazyc

What i could think about is swapping the rapid road out for a freeway usb. But, and there is always a but....the motherboard that was originally in the checkmate case, and that I think I have slightly damaged will not work with the rapid road any more but will with the freeway. Once I get that fixed maybe I will swap them over, but again that's another project...
Old 07 September 2023, 23:57   #9
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyc View Post
My question is whether anyone has actually done this yet and got it to work - I haven't had a definitive answer back yet from the seller - I only asked recently.

I did and it works.
Old 07 September 2023, 23:59   #10
crazyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBase View Post
I did and it works.
Ooh, that exact adapter and the rtc they sell? and what line did you add to the startup?

Cheers
Old 08 September 2023, 00:04   #11
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

Its a simple one-liner:

C:LoadClockA12 >NIL:

But you can check the ClockPort program if the RTC is found first.
Old 08 September 2023, 00:43   #12
crazyc

Ok, parts ordered...
Old 12 September 2023, 15:47   #13
crazyc

Quote:
I did and it works.
Because I am now paranoid as far as clockports are concerned, and I cannot see the #1 pin marked clearly on the RTC (I ASSUME its the one with the little square on the back of the pin), I was wondering which way did you have them connected? it looks to me as if it will be so the RTC is sticking out away from the gayle adapter and towards/over the PCMCIA port) rather than over the gayle adapter?
Does that sound right?
Cheers
C
Old 13 September 2023, 23:36   #14
DJBase
Amiga is my Religion

Yes, if you have that L-shaped RTC it should show towards the PCMCIA Port.
Old 13 September 2023, 23:43   #15
crazyc

Quote:
Yes, if you have that L-shaped RTC it should show towards the PCMCIA Port.
Cheers. Its clashing a little with the power board wiring in the checkmate case but it should be manageable.
Old 16 September 2023, 02:02   #16
crazyc

All done, setup and working via startup as suggested.
Cheers for the help.