English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 17 April 2024, 19:41   #561
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
The SNES version wasn't perfect with 1-player only but it was good enough to sell hardware.The Amiga version was an embarrassment and US Gold should have given Aplin more time and cared about QA!

For modern Final Fight fun try Street Fighter '89: The Final Fight on OpenBOR!
The Amiga version was actually better than the SNES one for me. 2 players and Guy available from the start. When you're playing with your brother, a 2 players option is much more enjoyable than fancy gfx sometimes.
Old 17 April 2024, 23:55   #562
PatmanQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
The Amiga version was actually better than the SNES one for me. 2 players and Guy available from the start. When you're playing with your brother, a 2 players option is much more enjoyable than fancy gfx sometimes.
It wasn't just the graphics that was missing..............
Old 18 April 2024, 00:10   #563
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatmanQC View Post
It wasn't just the graphics that was missing..............
Of course but hey, 1 players only and 2 characters. When you're 11 you dont really care about precise gameplay.
Note that I didn't said the Amiga IS better but WAS better for me. At this time.
Plus IIRC The SNES version was also plagued by slowdowns.
It was far inferior to the MegaCD version although released much earlier.
And of course the enhanced version is far better than the original SNES one, there isn't any discussion about that for me.
Old 18 April 2024, 01:54   #564
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Of course but hey, 1 players only and 2 characters. When you're 11 you dont really care about precise gameplay.
Note that I didn't said the Amiga IS better but WAS better for me. At this time.
Plus IIRC The SNES version was also plagued by slowdowns.
It was far inferior to the MegaCD version although released much earlier.
And of course the enhanced version is far better than the original SNES one, there isn't any discussion about that for me.
Absolutely, I loved the Amiga version back in the day- I knew stuff was absent from the arcade but it was the only means i had to playing Final Fight at home.

The large sprites were impressive and i was in awe that it was running on my A500- but yes the game play was incorrect. Like you say, at 11 or 12 years of age enthusiasm goes a long way.
Old 18 April 2024, 06:31   #565
hammer

Quote:
The Amiga version could be done better i.e. Atari ST's 512 color palette limitation influenced Amiga's color selection.
Old 18 April 2024, 06:36   #566
hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
That's hard question.
2MB Chip, back in the day, before AGA was released, wasn't really that common for configs. So I assume whoever is paying for the port, would request at least 1MB as minimum config (majority Amiga's 500), and that would make this port significantly harder.
Even with 2MB Chip, Brick Nash was doing this port in 3 years.

Richard Aplin who did original conversion had only 6 months to get the job done, and he didn't had any source files, anything that would make him life easier.
By his confession, he wasn't much into Final Fight, so that could explain that gameplay is so different from the original (gameplay is more of a Double Dragon style (which is no surprise, because he did great port of that on the Amiga)).

However, technologically speaking, he did a true miracle in coding, because his version could work on EVEN unexpanded A500's with only 512kb Chip... and he had scrolling.. big characters.. enemies... and all that in 6 months.

From what I understand, Brick Nash actually had some help from Aplin himself, in some advice on how to do this port.
[ Show youtube player ]

The Amiga version joined with the Atari ST version, hence artwork's color selection is limited by the Atari ST's 512 color palette version.