English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General > Coders. Releases

Old 06 December 2018, 23:37   #1
grelbfarlk

DosBox 0.74 and ScummVM 1.8.1 for Classic Amiga WarpOS

I'm through playing around with these two, will be uploaded to the Zone.

For both take one of the older archives and just replace the executable.

Dosbox for slower CPUs might run as low as 1500 cycles, with a faster CPU (Ragnarok) up to 7000 seems to work ok as in no sound skipping-depending on application. OpenGL is an option too, this may or may not work better for you than Surface.

ScummVM thanks to Mathias Heyer for pointing out a setvbuf variable that existed in the OS4 code, turned that on and now it plays videos without skipping. Though there is some issue with COMI when it hits some SDL Subtask_68k that it pauses for a couple seconds. MT32 is now working (on high spec machines).
Old 10 December 2018, 12:43   #2
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
I'm through playing around with these two, will be uploaded to the Zone.

For both take one of the older archives and just replace the executable.

Dosbox for slower CPUs might run as low as 1500 cycles, with a faster CPU (Ragnarok) up to 7000 seems to work ok as in no sound skipping-depending on application. OpenGL is an option too, this may or may not work better for you than Surface.

ScummVM thanks to Mathias Heyer for pointing out a setvbuf variable that existed in the OS4 code, turned that on and now it plays videos without skipping. Though there is some issue with COMI when it hits some SDL Subtask_68k that it pauses for a couple seconds. MT32 is now working (on high spec machines).
Nice job on ScummVM! On the K1 the opening movies is almost fluently already. It gets into a stutter at the end of the credits, but maybe that is memory related. After loading the first scene it crashes, however. I guess memory related too. Is there a light version? Or maybe multiple versions with multiple engines(what WarpScumm also did in the past, i think).

Opening and closing ScummVM from the CLI does not give memory back until I close the CLI btw.
Old 10 December 2018, 23:23   #3
grelbfarlk

Yes I can build a lite version or three. Have to figure out which engines are the largest or group them somehow. Also end users can disable scalers or go to a simpler one, possibly remove the themes and just use the built-in black and white one. And also I might have set setvbuf too high, or unnecessarily high.
Old 10 December 2018, 23:44   #4
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
And also I might have set setvbuf too high, or unnecessarily high.
What did you set it at?
Old 11 December 2018, 04:49   #5
pipper

it’s been set to 8kb
Old 11 December 2018, 05:45   #6
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipper View Post
it’s been set to 8kb
You did the port? I'm confused. And why would 8k be too much?
Old 11 December 2018, 07:29   #7
pipper

No, I did not work on ScummVM that Gribblebark posted here. I merely pointed him to an optimization for OS4 that was in in the ScummVM source which was related to file buffer size and smooth movie playback. From what I understand he enabled that line for his port, too and it helped.
Old 11 December 2018, 10:31   #8
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

This build of ScummVM crashes on my K1 (sdl subtask). The previous version does not. This is with COMI right just before the player gets control over his character (after all the intros).
Old 12 December 2018, 02:31   #9
esel

Same Here on Killer m1. Crashes After all the intros.
Old 13 December 2018, 00:50   #10
grelbfarlk

Try the new version up on the Zone, r11. Linked with Mos2wos lite and some more crap done to it. Works on my K1, tested with Monkey 1, 2, Simon the Sorcerer talkie.
Old 13 December 2018, 02:28   #11
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Did you test with comi?
Old 13 December 2018, 04:35   #12
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipper View Post
No, I did not work on ScummVM that Gribblebark posted here. I merely pointed him to an optimization for OS4 that was in in the ScummVM source which was related to file buffer size and smooth movie playback. From what I understand he enabled that line for his port, too and it helped.
Yep I also did this for my ports, I seem to remember it helped quite a bit with running Full Throttle on my AGA 1200
Old 13 December 2018, 04:47   #13
grelbfarlk

Yeah this also helped with the Broken Sword intro. Right before the pan away from the mountain in the COMI intro it had this pause which went away with that change.

I converted over to the AmigaOS3-FS stuff but it doesn't seem to be helping much. The main thing my crappy version does that is so annoying is that when playing COMI (for those that can), there is a random pause in the game, sometimes in the middle of speech, but music keeps playing perfectly, and it will pause for 1-2 seconds, just long enough to be annoying.
Though this doesn't happen with Broken Sword, that seems pretty much perfect. I'm guessing the sdl sound engine, but really that's just a guess. It could be an input problem of some kind I notice if I leave it idle for 30 seconds then move the mouse it freezes then too. Seems like it might be related to mouse-overing things but I'm really not sure. Then again, maybe it's video, or anything else I forgot, em, timer?

Other games I've tried all the rest of them low res, seem to be fine, some worth with MT-32 emulation without stuttering, some stutter a bit.
Old 13 December 2018, 05:14   #14
NovaCoder

Quote:
Yeah this also helped with the Broken Sword intro. Right before the pan away from the mountain in the COMI intro it had this pause which went away with that change.

I converted over to the AmigaOS3-FS stuff but it doesn't seem to be helping much. The main thing my crappy version does that is so annoying is that when playing COMI (for those that can), there is a random pause in the game, sometimes in the middle of speech, but music keeps playing perfectly, and it will pause for 1-2 seconds, just long enough to be annoying.
Though this doesn't happen with Broken Sword, that seems pretty much perfect. I'm guessing the sdl sound engine, but really that's just a guess. It could be an input problem of some kind I notice if I leave it idle for 30 seconds then move the mouse it freezes then too. Seems like it might be related to mouse-overing things but I'm really not sure. Then again, maybe it's video, or anything else I forgot, em, timer?

Other games I've tried all the rest of them low res, seem to be fine, some worth with MT-32 emulation without stuttering, some stutter a bit.
If the version of the SDL library is anything like the old RTG 68k version then the timer/threading code is very buggy so that could be the problem
Old 13 December 2018, 08:02   #15
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
Did you test with comi?
Still crashes :-(
Old 14 December 2018, 01:33   #16
grelbfarlk

New versions uploaded to the Zone, R13 and R13Small. R13Small tested on K1 and at least loads COMI to the point that Wally can start a conversation, but this system is unstable so I'd crash sometimes before that. Give it a try.
Old 14 December 2018, 06:41   #17
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
New versions uploaded to the Zone, R13 and R13Small. R13Small tested on K1 and at least loads COMI to the point that Wally can start a conversation, but this system is unstable so I'd crash sometimes before that. Give it a try.
What did you change and what did you leave out of the small one (8% smaller)? The sound is bad now on a K1 (there is a stutter) and movie seems to runs less smooth.

Plus it does not find the config anymore. R11 still does.

And it still crashes. What are your ENVARC:sonnet settings and which powerpc.library are you using?
Old 14 December 2018, 23:11   #18
grelbfarlk

On the K1 system, build 400 DisSigBounce and Enstackpatch.
I left a bunch of engines out, and this has the AmigaOS FS stuff instead of the Posix FS stuff, I guess I'll go back to Posix FS.
Old 15 December 2018, 00:28   #19
Rod_cl
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to Rod_cl
Is there a version for 68k Amigas? With a Vampire v2 i should have enough power... i guess..
Old 15 December 2018, 00:39   #20
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod_cl View Post
Is there a version for 68k Amigas? With a Vampire v2 i should have enough power... i guess..

There have been 68k versions forever, check your local Aminet.