English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 25 February 2018, 14:57   #1
Borgy

Amiga sound with OSSC

I recently bought an Open source scan converter (ossc) which is absolutely brilliant. However, I wonder whether anyone can help regarding the Amiga's sound: I'm only ever able to get half the Amiga's sound channels to come through the hdmi/TV. I can switch between left and right (both work) but never BOTH simultaneously. I'm using an RGB to Scart cable and plugging in the connected red and white sound cables. Cable definitely works elsewhere.
Could it be a setting?? Any help appreciated.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
Old 25 February 2018, 17:57   #2
demolition
Unregistered User

I have not had that issue with my OSSC. I get Amiga stereo audio through to my TV. Try connecting some other audio source to the OSSC to isolate whether it is the OSSC, the Amiga or the cable which is at fault.

When you write that you can switch between left and right, do you mean physically only connect one channel at a time to the Amiga? Which channel can you hear if they both are connected?
Old 27 February 2018, 11:52   #3
Bprepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post

When you write that you can switch between left and right, do you mean physically only connect one channel at a time to the Amiga? Which channel can you hear if they both are connected?
This is a good point, are you sure you are getting stereo sound from your Amiga when not connected to the OSSC? The Amiga audio RCA's have mechanical switch that means if you only plug one of them in you will get the left channel on which ever socket is connected (left or right). RetroGameModz has a good video showing this in action, and a good way to diagnose/confirm this would be to connect the audio up to some stereo speakers with protracker running and fading the balance left to right. I think it would be worth you investigating this before looking more at the OSSC being the culprit.
Old 27 February 2018, 21:05   #4
solidcore

Bprepared if I remember rightly this switch can be forced into stereo ?
Old 28 February 2018, 08:51   #5
Bprepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidcore View Post
Bprepared if I remember rightly this switch can be forced into stereo ?
the switches (one in each socket) combine to stereo configuration when both jacks are plugged in, but if only one channel is present the TV will normally treat this as mono and output the single channel through both speakers. Thats why its best to test them by fading the balance.