English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 03 January 2021, 15:40   #41
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

The is really cool indeed, thanks for all the work that has been done so far.
Old 03 January 2021, 17:49   #42
Radertified

This is unreal! Fantastic work, guys!
Old 03 January 2021, 17:54   #43
daxb

Yep, cool stuff. Great work!
Old 26 January 2021, 00:01   #44
Wepl

There is a new WHDLoad beta which supports VFS also without Preload or not enough free memory to preload all files: http://whdload.de/whdload/whd187.lha
There is also a updated VFS which handles files not case sensitive: https://github.com/temisu/WHDLoadArc...eases/tag/v1.3
Old 22 March 2022, 17:04   #45
spannernick
Retro Nuts

This thread looks like the beginning of loading WHDLoad games from lha format, did Amiberry do it before the first post in the thread(Amiberry/P-UAE can now load them) or was this the beginning of it, I am trying to find who came up with the idea...?

I have another question too... Because of THEA500 Mini has being made now, and that loads from lha cause it uses Amiberry, is there a way of loading Workbench 3.1 or 1.3 without it been in a lha file so not compressed, THEA500 Mini can not load ADF files so my idea would be making Workbench load from a folder on it USB Stick so like its loading it from a Hard Drive so you can add the workbench files to it via a PC or Amiga and load maybe Classic Workbench 1.3, it would take a long time to compress it into lha and would be like 1 GB in size and even if it would work, it should work on the Workbeanch3.1 32 MB version of it, if its not compressed.

Last edited by spannernick; 22 March 2022 at 17:19.
Old 26 March 2022, 09:14   #46
TuKo
Apollo Team

Just gave WHDLoadArchiveFS a try and it works quite well ! Well done.

Ultimately, loading directly a .lha package from RetroPlay's WHD Packs would ease so much maintaining sets.
Old 27 March 2022, 23:01   #47
temisu

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

WHDLoadArchiveFS is the smaller component though, the heavy lifting is done on the WHDLoad side

Frankly it would be awesome if it could load everything from the archive, but this would require some non-trivial changes to WHDLoad. For example it would need a new way to start the package and some sort of a way to find the slave(s) and info(s) from the archive.

That would require quite a lot of work from Wepl and I do not even know whether it would be feasible, but if he ever plans to do it, I will support that from my side.

<advertisement>

However, there is (almost) completely unrelated project I've been working on my free time that I plan to release as a beta after summer that would be exactly what you want: I've finally got a working system where I implemented WHDLoad-APIs in emulator side (currently in FS-UAE, but it works with uaenative, so it should work with most UAE-based emulators, as long as uaenative is enabled)

This does not require any external kickstart roms, not even Aros. (unless install itself requires those). And it loads installs from lha/zip-archive into emulator after a reset. Fun stuff.

Only save-files are currently missing as well as builds to various systems (and polish maybe). I tossed out all the MMU-stuff except simple CACR/TT/ITT settings but otherwise it is on par* with WHDLoad 18.6. I am pretty sure I can finish it when I have again some capacity

stay tuned.

* There are some things I have not implemented and/or I have not been able to test since they have not came across in the real installs like printfs/logs/complex relocates. Also there are some gremlins on the higher end of the CPUs (68040+) but games rarely need those.

PS. if someone is running FS-UAE on mac x64 and really committed being a guinea pig for alpha releases, let me know.

</advertisement>