English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 13 January 2015, 20:49   #61
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Browne View Post
What about the original vertical scrolling shooter idea that was mooted as opposed to a port of an arcade game? Now that i want to see. Something that looks professional with nice sprite art, simple mechanics and good gameplay. Though obviously ports in the vein of final fight aga etc are welcome too.
Yes that is what i would prefer to do. I don't really want to have to care about matching gameplay and enemy behaviour exactly to an arcade game, it would just be a burden. In an original title it gives us freedom to make it how we think works the best without someone judging it for "accuracy".

But once we make a game engine, we could use it to implement conversions later, if anybody was still interested. But better, in my mind, just to harvest the arcades for ideas.
Old 13 January 2015, 22:14   #62
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
Yes that is what i would prefer to do. I don't really want to have to care about matching gameplay and enemy behaviour exactly to an arcade game, it would just be a burden. In an original title it gives us freedom to make it how we think works the best without someone judging it for "accuracy".

But once we make a game engine, we could use it to implement conversions later, if anybody was still interested. But better, in my mind, just to harvest the arcades for ideas.
True. With a game engine other games could be made too. On a side note,you know I have always wanted to see a game, that truly showed us what aga was capable of.

But an ocs/ecs shmup, hell yeah, Id play the shit out of that. I'd even be happy to contribute some ideas.
Have you and Tony talked about it? Or has Tony gone awol...lol, I hope not.
Old 13 January 2015, 23:04   #63
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

The only thing Toni has said to me is on the other thread, it was that i could count on him... well i'm counting up to ten now.
Old 13 January 2015, 23:21   #64
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
The idea/mockup would also have to be realistic

Just my opinion, but I think it's better not to involve money in these things. At least for me it would quickly kill my motivation, as I would feel like I owe people something, which makes it feel more like work than a hobby.
Did you know Sturmwind for Dreamcast, a 2013 indie game for a console stopped 15 years ago sold more than 25.000 copies? I am saying it takes time to make a good game like this and time is money.
Old 14 January 2015, 01:48   #65
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Did you know Sturmwind for Dreamcast, a 2013 indie game for a console stopped 15 years ago sold more than 25.000 copies? I am saying it takes time to make a good game like this and time is money.
Are you sure about that? Ive heard 3 to 4 thousand copies is the norm on dreamcast these days. Sturmwind is great btw.

Still on amiga you can expect a 100 copies or so sold id guess. Porting the game to other systems afterwards would make financial sense though.
Old 14 January 2015, 09:24   #66
nobody

"Under Defeat" for Dreamcast pressed 15.000 copies, all sold out. I would say Sturmwind probably sold around 30.000.
Old 14 January 2015, 09:48   #67
britelite

Quote:
I do know Sturmwind, but Amiga and Dreamcast are two different worlds. Name one game in the past 10-15 years on Amiga that has sold more than a few hundred copies.
Old 14 January 2015, 10:19   #68
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
I do know Sturmwind, but Amiga and Dreamcast are two different worlds. Name one game in the past 10-15 years on Amiga that has sold more than a few hundred copies.
Probably none because the quality was really poor, and games like Payback need some setup with 68060, RTG, 32mb fast RAM, CD to run, that only a few hundreds had so this means only a few hundred sales.
They don't support the main platform which is OCS Amiga or 020 AGA at least. If they would have gone with 020, ECS, hard disk and 2 mb extra memory and take what the system could give now that would be better for them instead of trying to copy Playstation.
Old 14 January 2015, 11:29   #69
britelite

Quote:
Probably none because the quality was really poor, and games like Payback need some setup with 68060, RTG, 32mb fast RAM, CD to run, that only a few hundreds had so this means only a few hundred sales.
So, wouldn't it be a better idea to just make games because it's fun, rather than with expectations of making money? Because I seriously doubt even an A++ game would sell in amounts that would pay for the time spent developing it.

Although giving out the game for free, but selling physical copies at a reasonable price if there's demand could be a nice idea. Not that it would make anyone rich, but might give some pocket change.
Old 14 January 2015, 11:57   #70
nobody

I was just saying it would be an extra motive for the ones that do good stuff. Not for myself as i don't program or do any pixel art except some small things for fun. They will not be rich but they would get some money for their work if it was good, even free games like Putty Squad were acting like promotions for their ps4 game, sure did them some money there.
Old 14 January 2015, 13:57   #71
Toni Galvez

I will make some screenshots of how the game could be, I want to try to make some game with Mrs Beanbag in the future.

@Mrs Beanbag, You have to know that:

1- I like Music+SFX in all the games I do.

2- I like to use 16 colors for backgrounds and 16 for HW sprites (main ship and bullets).
(this is only to have more memory and better performance.)

3- I like the copper effect to change some colors on the palette, then, on a vertical map, we can change 8 colors on some parts).

4- I make the maps on TILED editor, I draw the graphics on Promotion, both for Windows, later I load the pictures on Amiga Personal Paint and save in IFF. I work on cross development.

5-I make samples on PC and convert to IFF for Amiga.

6-I need to display some animations, it will be good if you read .anim.

I am finishing a demo for Amiga with a friend(he is the coder), soon you will see.
Old 14 January 2015, 16:33   #72
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Galvez View Post
I will make some screenshots of how the game could be, I want to try to make some game with Mrs Beanbag in the future.

1- I like Music+SFX in all the games I do.

2- I like to use 16 colors for backgrounds and 16 for HW sprites (main ship and bullets).
(this is only to have more memory and better performance.)

3- I like the copper effect to change some colors on the palette, then, on a vertical map, we can change 8 colors on some parts).

4- I make the maps on TILED editor, I draw the graphics on Promotion, both for Windows, later I load the pictures on Amiga Personal Paint and save in IFF. I work on cross development.

5-I make samples on PC and convert to IFF for Amiga.

6-I need to display some animations, it will be good if you read .anim.

I am finishing a demo for Amiga with a friend(he is the coder), soon you will see.
Is this demo you are working on a shmup? Looking forward to seeing something soon.
Pro-motion seems to be pixel artists go to program these days; well it is deluxe paint at heart.
Old 14 January 2015, 23:35   #73
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:

1- Me too!

2- Me too!

3- Good idea!

4 & 5- I am happy however you make the files as long as you can supply them in IFF format!

6- I would use my own format for storing animations, but i can convert them from .anim in any case. Depending on what the animations are it might be better to do it programmatically. I don't want to waste disk space.

Have you played my game, Mr Beanbag, at all?
Old 14 January 2015, 23:54   #74
Havie

It would be great if some new games were programmed in various genres that could then be open sourced and adapted like the BOR idea. For instance, despite the overlong debate about how the graphics look and various colour palettes, I could see Final Fight AGA being adapted in such a way as it could be used to re(create) other scrolling fighters. Well documented code and useful guides could mean that the code could be adapted rather than creating a fighting game creater (which by definition is as limited as the ideas put into it and the power/ram of the sytem running it). Yes - you would have to hardcode new features but wouldn't have to spend a lot of time reinventing the wheel.

Game frameworks. open to all would unleash a lot of creativity.

If this were to work, we would need really well coded games and perhaps a central website to share experiences, ideas, resources etc. There is a definite opportunity to use modern PCs through emulation to create an efficent programming environment and modern techinques and ideas to make better games as well as revisting many of the best ideas from the past (Codetappers site springs to mind).

We would of course need the Beanbag engine!
Old 15 January 2015, 00:27   #75
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

ohh, well, the Beanbag engine is very flexible. individual zones are modules containing their own code so you can do pretty much anything without modifying the executable at all.

i was in the process of refactoring the code to allow people to package their own zones, before my accelerator bit the dust... still need to send that off for repair but i've been busy/sidetracked
Old 15 January 2015, 10:18   #76
Toni Galvez

Quote:
1- Me too!

2- Me too!

3- Good idea!

4 & 5- I am happy however you make the files as long as you can supply them in IFF format!

6- I would use my own format for storing animations, but i can convert them from .anim in any case. Depending on what the animations are it might be better to do it programmatically. I don't want to waste disk space.

Have you played my game, Mr Beanbag, at all?
Yeah, I played your game, it is very profesional, I like the style, all very good done. Music+SFX, good copper use, good playability, good graphics. The main character color remains me my city football team
I think, if you want to join me, we shall rule the galaxy

I want to develop with you Mr Beanbag, Give me some time, I am involved in some projects.

Last edited by Toni Galvez; 15 January 2015 at 10:25.
Old 15 January 2015, 21:58   #77
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
I want to develop with you Mr Beanbag, Give me some time, I am involved in some projects.
that is fine, in fact i am still developing Mr Beanbag at this time. or i will be when i get my accelerator fixed.
Old 15 January 2015, 22:31   #78
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

Quote:
that is fine, in fact i am still developing Mr Beanbag at this time. or i will be when i get my accelerator fixed.
Your developing it on an actual Amiga? or just testing builds on it?
Old 15 January 2015, 22:38   #79
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

sunset riders for aga please !!! should be awesome !
Old 15 January 2015, 23:45   #80
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

yes i do all my development on real Amiga