English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 01 January 2008, 23:48   #41
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Old 02 January 2008, 00:30   #42
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

This thread should be moved to OT Stupidity.
Old 02 January 2008, 03:52   #43
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_AKA View Post
This thread should be moved to OT Stupidity.

I'd agree, but maybe a new section called "Complete feeble minded fanatical imbecility" would be better.
Old 02 January 2008, 14:48   #44
andy
Back.

There's just one problem - with a name like that, they'd never get to read it!

Old 02 January 2008, 16:11   #45
HenryCase

Hmm, I'm new to this forum so I'm not really sure why the idea of running OS4 on Macs is getting this hostility. Surely the news is interesting from a technical level if nothing else? Also, AmigaMac posted the news about the boot loader here, and I thought you should all know that his claims were true. Never mind...
Old 02 January 2008, 16:42   #46
arnljot

I am also new here, but I've made a mental note to my self of the following:

1) People here seems hardcore 68k, and many feel that PPC amigas are a waste of time and are happy with pure nostalgic retro value of the Amiga platform

My thoughts on this is that I by far agree, though I owned a PPC amiga in my time and also want to own one again. But I'm mostly into the Amiga because I've been with it since the 500, and I owned a 1200 and a 4000PPC.

2) AmigaMAC release was/is illegal. No matter how you twist and turn the issue. And this forum has it's own brand of morals when it comes to piracy. Some is okay, some is not. The morals are thought through (I paraphrase: don't pirate things that you still can get by legal means, rest is okay).

My thoughts on this is that most people doesn't read forum policy or must read before posting notices, etc. So that AmigaMAC tripped is somewhat understanable. But if the AWN allegations by Andrea Vallinotto that his laptop was stolen, AmigaMAC is participating in a (to me) far more serious crime. But we must remember that these are allegations by an unverified email to moderators on an internet forum. My reason for bringing them up in this thread was the hammering AmigaMAC got for not being able to provide better documentation, my rationale was that if the code was stolen it could explain why he wasn't better able to provide documentation for it.

3) OS4 is a cesspool of bad carma for the Amiga community. Late, outdated, and in a legal quagmire a lot of hostillity can be stired up just mentioning it.

My feelings on OS4 is that its a good thing. I'm an idealist. I recognize that I can't use my Amiga at the present for anything else than fun and games of old. But my wish is that someone becomes able to take the IP and the legacy and make a worth while computing platform of it.

4) Fear of being made a laughing stock of.

Most people hate to be tricked. It makes them look like fools. So most people just dismiss or even attack people who they think makes claims that are too good to be true. I for one will approach most people with openess but also with a healty dose of sceptisism. That's my defence when something turns out to be a hoax: At least I checked, but I didn't expect too much.

5) A tired community.

I've been a lurker for ages on AWN, AORG and here. What I've noted is an increasing level of hostility and trolling. To me it culminated when Plato(Chris Hodges, writer of Poseidon USB stack) got so tired of the way amigians treat eachother that he just simply quit. It also got quite evident that most amigians also recognize this state in the community when very few blamed him for leaving and also gave him support and said that it was completely understandable. I was one of those, even though it pains me that I never will be able to get a decent USB stack for my amigas.

---
Even though I'd promised my self to stay out of this thread after seing how people who wanted to discuss the merrits of the OS4 Mac iso were treated in this and previous thread I couldn't help it...

Old 02 January 2008, 17:00   #47
Marcuz

sadly i concur with arnljot, and more to the point, i think this kind of thread should be closed not because strictly the technical issue of legitimity of the object (that should go without animosity after all, as the rules of the boards are clear) but for the fact that a thread like this is bound to raise no more than thrashing and trollying.
i don't mind if people wants to call a piece of software a piece of crap, but when opinions start to get taken with too much a serious mind, this stuff just isn't fun anymore.
Old 02 January 2008, 17:02   #48
Graham Humphrey

Yep, I agree with everything you have said Marco (and arnljot too - a top post).
Old 02 January 2008, 17:04   #49
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryCase View Post
Hmm, I'm new to this forum so I'm not really sure why the idea of running OS4 on Macs is getting this hostility. Surely the news is interesting from a technical level if nothing else? Also, AmigaMac posted the news about the boot loader here, and I thought you should all know that his claims were true. Never mind...
Hostility to stupidity.
Giving up a viable and robust OS with growing user base, popularity, and support for....

OS4???

Your question has been answered.
Fanatics should stick to Amiga.org and stay away from here.
Old 02 January 2008, 17:08   #50
motorollin

Who's giving anything up? I still run 3.9 on my A4000, and will continue to do so. I would like to be able to run OS4 in addition. I don't really see the problem.
Old 02 January 2008, 17:21   #51
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck View Post
Hostility to stupidity.
Giving up a viable and robust OS with growing user base, popularity, and support for....

OS4???
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorollin View Post
Who's giving anything up? I still run 3.9 on my A4000, and will continue to do so. I would like to be able to run OS4 in addition. I don't really see the problem.
That is the funniest exchange I have seen on here in months.
Old 02 January 2008, 17:25   #52
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

i come to this forum a lot, and dont give a monkeys about running OS4 myself (if there's no whdload , there is no point for me) - i also dont see the OS as having any kind of future either (sorry, that's just my viewpoint)

however, even i dont understand the OS4 hostility and think a few members of this board have been a tad out-of-line, almost taking it personally.... although i show little sympathy to AmigaMac himself, who clearly doesnt have a clue, and just wanted to look clever, the concept and stuff is at least interesting, and i think a few people who have shown an interest have been given a pretty hard time.

if someone wants to run OS4, that's their choice... if you are not interested, just look elsewhere. the fact people are trying to bend the rules and do it with other hardware i would have thought would only get applause rather than some of the disgraceful bashing that has been dished out by certain members of this board, who really should be acting their age.
Old 02 January 2008, 17:26   #53
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLowar View Post
That is the funniest exchange I have seen on here in months.

and

at the same ime, dude!
Old 02 January 2008, 17:27   #54
Graham Humphrey

Stop it Horace, that's far too sensible for this thread
Old 02 January 2008, 17:30   #55
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Stop it Horace, that's far too sensible for this thread
i'm done here.... i'll get back to my classic-amiga-gaming-related malarky!

/me skulks back into the shadows
Old 02 January 2008, 17:44   #56
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

besides the sense/senseless of AOS4:

This AmigaMac guy uploaded a highly illegal boot CD which could endanger the EAB. Sure, the danger is probably low but present. You can't compare it with the 10-20 year old games, which were uploaded here usually.

About a tired community:

It's hardly surprising that Morph OS/AOS4 developer gave up. There is a tiny and mostly grumbling fan base. Check their forums, looks like a playschool.

EAB is a place of wonderful Amiga projects without a touch of retro nostalgia/feelings.

Otherwise: Look what pure enthusiasts like Jens Schoenfeld/Oliver Achten have done for the Amiga/C-64 community. Compare it with the modern Amiga scene and cry.

Fred is right: There are enough fanatic forums, EAB is none of these.
Old 02 January 2008, 18:00   #57
Hungry Horace
Wipe-Out Enthusiast

there is still no excuse for acting like elitist wankers against people who ARE interested in OS4... it is still Amiga related, and this remains an Amiga forum.

Common courtesy, respect for the opinions of others, freedom for people to take interest in whatever projects they prefer.... are these not postitive attitudes that should be strived for on -any- forum?

i'm sorry retro-nerd, but it's this forum that looks like a "playschool" when you look at some of the posts in the OS4-on-Mac related threads, and frankly not all of us want to be tarred with the same brush.

You've already made it very clear you arent interest in the project, so why continue to comment on it, and insult those who are intested as "fanatics"? that doesnt make for a very open-minded viewpoint, considering they could say exactly the same about anyone who remains interest purely in classic amigas.
Old 02 January 2008, 18:11   #58
AMIGAZ
Amiga-Mad

Send a message via ICQ to AMIGAZ
I suspect this guy MacAmiga guy has something to do with the laptop theft since if you're so OS4-geeky you should know that Amiga.org and amigaworld.net are the biggest "AmigaOS sites"
I bet he just wanted to shine by showing this ISO file..just did a test, if I google for "Amiga forum"...guess what? english amiga board is placed 1st in the search results so naturally you come here if you're no real AmigaOS geek
Old 02 January 2008, 18:15   #59
Graham Humphrey

I don't really think AmigaMac is the whole point here. The point is if people want to talk about OS4, whether running it on a Mac or otherwise, they should be allowed to without being consistently harassed by people who don't like it. I thought this was meant to be a friendly forum but obviously I was wrong.

Simply put (like Horace says): if there are people who really hate and despise it, ignore these threads. Rocket science it ain't.
Old 02 January 2008, 18:18   #60
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

You anti OS4 people are the ones being zealots. Attacking people in threads about OS4. If you have no interest in OS4 you have no business in OS4 threads disrespecting people who do show an interest.

If someone is interested in having a look at OS4 how does that make them a fanatic. This is an Amiga forum. We should be able to discuss anything amiga in a civilized manor. You anti OS4 people are the ones turning this in a.org or amigaworld.net with your extreme views on what can and cant be discussed here.

Just leave people be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
I don't really think AmigaMac is the whole point here. The point is if people want to talk about OS4, whether running it on a Mac or otherwise, they should be allowed to without being consistently harassed by people who don't like it. I thought this was meant to be a friendly forum but obviously I was wrong.

Simply put (like Horace says): if there are people who really hate and despise it, ignore these threads. Rocket science it ain't.
As a moderator cant you start deleting obvious troll posts?