English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.UAE Wishlist

Old 20 April 2004, 00:09   #1
XDread

Multi player network option

Hi!

I have a suggestion for a feature:

For all those multi player games out there, it would be nice if WinUAE would support a multiplayer option over tcp/ip.

Say, my brother and I am on the same network. It is awkward to sit in front of the same keyboard to play a multi player game. Why not link multiple WinUAEs together?

I do have some ideas as to how to make this feasable technically, but there are some problems that has to be worked out.

One thing will be to make sure that all cooperative WinUAEs are initially in the same state.

Then I imagine that one WinUAE is the boss, sending a continuous update stream to all other clients on updates. Small packes for low latency. The clients job is to send joystick and keyboard events to the "boss". (WinUAE server.)

How this is implemented in the end does not matter. Perhaps it happens to be rather tricky, perhaps there are some very clever solutions. but I really like the idea.

Speedball 2 on two computer in the same game? Yes please!

Old 20 April 2004, 00:17   #2
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

There was a version of WinUAE with Kaillera built in to it:

http://kaillera.abime.net/

I think the development has stopped now, but I tried some multiplayer Amiga games between the UK (or it could have been France) and Sweden.
Old 20 April 2004, 00:23   #3
XDread

Aha! Thanks a lot!

With so many people in the world it is hard to come up with ideas that no-one has thought before!

Old 20 April 2004, 06:19   #4
Adeptus
epun umop ap!sdn

Quote:
Originally posted by CodyJarrett
I think the development has stopped now
Maybe if we asked Toni really nicely he would consider making it a feature of 'standard' WinUAE?
Old 20 April 2004, 10:59   #5
RCK
Administrator

Yep, §ane has 'left' the scene for now.

It would be cool to have one real network code in WinUAE, kaillera server sux, it need all UDP port open on the server machine.

@Tony or anyone who wanna try to code it:
if one day you decide to go in tcp network code for WinUAE, maybe we could set up one kind of portal here like http://www.warppipe.com/
(if WinUAE is configured for netplay, he send one OK status at master server player list and will have back a list of current games / players (we can code one linux app with dedicated port, or better, one http based proto + mysql real time user list)

Then there is still the problem of multiple games version, maybe if only the CAPS release was playable on the net, it would solve this problem.

Anyway, there is tons of work & idea to do here, we should wait for some peeps to have enough FreeTime & passion
Old 20 May 2004, 05:11   #6
Adeptus
epun umop ap!sdn

Just thought of a related feature that would be cool...
How about (null)modem emulation over the network?

In fact... that would be a great stand-alone program, so any old game (Ami, PC, etc) can use it!
Old 09 April 2005, 20:02   #7
Peanutuk

That would be great....
Old 09 April 2005, 21:12   #8
Mr_Modem
Emulator Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus
Just thought of a related feature that would be cool...
How about (null)modem emulation over the network?

In fact... that would be a great stand-alone program, so any old game (Ami, PC, etc) can use it!
Yeah, I thought about that too. It would be great to play Lotus 2 over the net, without that split-screen. And Populous, I would love that kind of feature.