English Amiga Board


Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 28 October 2019, 17:47   #1
Glen M
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Belfast
Posts: 520
Amiga Valuation

I thought it'd be interesting to get a general feel from you lot as to what you would rate the value of the A500 and A1200. To make this simple assume both machines are working, are completely standard and sold with PSU and mouse.

Personally I'd value them as:

A500 - £50
A1200 - £125

To make this easy please put your valuation as I have above then after a week I'll go through the thread and work out an average from everyone's valuation. Please be honest with what you think is a correct value and not what some people ask.

My reason for asking this is yet another facebook discussion over valuations where apparently I'm out of touch, being ludicrous etc etc.
Glen M is offline  
Old 28 October 2019, 21:16   #2
Nobby_UK
Registered User
Nobby_UK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 1,168
Look like prices for Broken Machines...

I got my 600 & 1200 for around those prices ---
but that was years ago !
Nobby_UK is offline  
Old 28 October 2019, 21:43   #3
alexh
Thalion Webshrine
alexh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oxford
Posts: 12,230
It's what someone is willing to pay for them. I wouldn't pay £50 for an A500 as they made millions of them and they are very common. But people do....

Last edited by alexh; 29 October 2019 at 00:03.
alexh is offline  
Old 28 October 2019, 22:01   #4
lesta_smsc
Registered User

lesta_smsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,976
Going by the eBay listings. I saw an empty Amiga box go for more £50!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Amiga-500...wAAOSw1TxdqsnK

and

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Commodore...UAAOSwwDFdp2sJ

and

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Commodore...QAAOSwYDhdk4jd

The world has gone barmy!
lesta_smsc is offline  
Old 29 October 2019, 00:23   #5
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Paul_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Amigaville
Age: 41
Posts: 3,241
A500 - £35
a1200 - £80
Paul_s is offline  
Old 29 October 2019, 00:47   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

gimbal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spijkenisse/Netherlands
Age: 38
Posts: 3,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
It's what someone is willing to pay for them. I wouldn't pay £50 for an A500 as they made millions of them and they are very common. But people do....
They may have produced millions, but it's 30+ year old hardware now... I'd be really curious to know how many are roughly still active out there at this point.
gimbal is offline  
Old 29 October 2019, 04:03   #7
aeberbach
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 91
On Australian eBay an A500 sells for at least $300, an A1200 for at least $500 - but there are some trying to sell recapped A1200 machines for close to $1000. And they probably succeed some of the time!
aeberbach is online now  
Old 29 October 2019, 04:12   #8
grelbfarlk
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 1,907
A500 in working condition = $109.99
A500 no PSU unknown condition = $37.45
A2000 in working condition = $172.39
A2000 with a selection of random video stuff that boots and an HDD = $212.47
A3000 in unknown condition = $241.18
A3000 in working condition with one expansion card = $914.87
A1200 in bad but semi working condition with no PSU = $352.33
A1200 in good condition but covered in grime with basic PSU = $455.18
A4000 in bad unknown condition = $286.43
A4000 in working condition with no Zorro plates and some battery damage = $783.58
A4000 in restored condition with max specifications = $4481.23
A4000T basic, beat to hell but working condition = $817.05
Walker that boots = $7,605.12
CDTV-II = $2909.83

Hope this helps.
grelbfarlk is offline  
Old 29 October 2019, 04:55   #9
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

005AGIMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Perth, Australia & England
Age: 45
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeberbach View Post
On Australian eBay an A500 sells for at least $300, an A1200 for at least $500 - but there are some trying to sell recapped A1200 machines for close to $1000. And they probably succeed some of the time!
Re the $1000+ machines, I dont think they succeed tbh.

Boxed..."maybe" but other than that, no chance.

I "watch" many items and the high priced "buy it now" items get re-listed over and over. The bidding items tell the true story.

BUT there is most definitely a premium paid over here, and pickings are slim, which is why I browse more under ebay.co.uk than .com.au

The only place I'd bother shopping in Aus is local amiga group, or getting lucky at a garage sale, or the occasional honest gumtree advert (there was a pearler in Perth with HEAPS of stuff, but I opted to get my batman pack from the UK for MORE lol).

"OMG RETRO BANDWAGON" resellers have skewed the market hard!
005AGIMA is offline  
Old 29 October 2019, 07:31   #10
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Paul_s's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Amigaville
Age: 41
Posts: 3,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
Re the $1000+ machines, I dont think they succeed tbh.

Boxed..."maybe" but other than that, no chance.

I "watch" many items and the high priced "buy it now" items get re-listed over and over. The bidding items tell the true story.

BUT there is most definitely a premium paid over here, and pickings are slim, which is why I browse more under ebay.co.uk than .com.au

The only place I'd bother shopping in Aus is local amiga group, or getting lucky at a garage sale, or the occasional honest gumtree advert (there was a pearler in Perth with HEAPS of stuff, but I opted to get my batman pack from the UK for MORE lol).

"OMG RETRO BANDWAGON" resellers have skewed the market hard!
Best Amiga related item on eBay Australia would be the Amiga 1000 Phoenix board

http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/phoenix
Paul_s is offline  
Old 29 October 2019, 07:57   #11
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

005AGIMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Perth, Australia & England
Age: 45
Posts: 410
There are goteck drives at a reasonable cost in Australia....

but case in point about $1000+ A1200's

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Recapped...frcectupt=true

Sure it has "a box" and it has other mods also.....

And does at least look like work has been put in, rather than just trying to flip it....

But I'd be buying an AMD Ryzen 5 with RX570 for that money.
005AGIMA is offline  
Old 29 October 2019, 11:18   #12
Gordon
Settler
Gordon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Serf City
Posts: 1,406
I remember when you could pick up Amiga 500 and 600s for under £20 and 1200 for under £50 just over 10 years ago. I could never have imagined prices like today if you asked me back then. I feel sorry for anyone in 2019 wanting to come back to the Amiga scene now..its expensive business.
Gordon is offline  
Old 29 October 2019, 11:47   #13
Solo Kazuki
Registered User
Solo Kazuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Poland
Posts: 667
Amiga nowdays is like many other things for collectors and prices are very undetermined. It's best visible when You must pay twice more for piece with original package than without. For user is senseless, for collector is common sense.

So giving exact price is not possible. Amiga is worth as much as someone will pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
A500 - £35
a1200 - £80
And now just find someone who sell You Amiga with this price...
Solo Kazuki is offline  
Old 29 October 2019, 11:50   #14
donnie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: sthlm
Posts: 192
I bought my 1200 for 30 euros back in 2000. And i payed 150 including shipping for my amiga 500+, this year. 5 years ago you could buy an 500 for 50 euros on ebay. But thanks to aca500 and gotek they have risen in price. It was actually really hard to find an amiga 500+ which was in good condition with a floppyy drive. It seems like there are bunch people making a living selling a500 with goteks.

These days a 1200 goes for over 300.

cd32 is even worse. The bidding starts at 300.

Last edited by donnie; 29 October 2019 at 11:57.
donnie is offline  
Old 29 October 2019, 22:02   #15
xubidoo
Scoobydoo

xubidoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Blackburn,UK
Posts: 250
Just seen an original working CD32 controller go on eBay for £61 + £4.95 Shipping !!

Can't believe someone would pay that, the guy who selling this stuff must be raking it in, constantly has CD32's with TF328s , recapped and mouse + sega controller, and they all usually hit from £350 - £600+ , hes selling the games,controllers all separate, must be earning a nice income lol
xubidoo is offline  
Old 30 October 2019, 02:50   #16
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

005AGIMA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Perth, Australia & England
Age: 45
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo Kazuki View Post
Amiga nowdays is like many other things for collectors and prices are very undetermined. It's best visible when You must pay twice more for piece with original package than without. For user is senseless, for collector is common sense.
^ This.

For me, I was "Happy" to pay original RRP for my boxed batman pack, and I wont even care if it happens to have mismatched seriel numbers (allthough I'm hoping they will match).

For me I was paying for the "as new" experience or as close as I can get to it to relive that magical day 30 years ago.

But while I intend to also "use" it, it will be minimal.

Which is why I'll also take my time and look out for a cheap abused/well used one, that I can tinker with and "daily drive". A "project".

The more I consider this hobby, the more I think it is EXACTLY like cars, only much much cheaper.
005AGIMA is offline  
Old 31 October 2019, 07:19   #17
lesta_smsc
Registered User

lesta_smsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
A500 - £35
a1200 - £80
You selling any at this price?!...
lesta_smsc is offline  
Old 31 October 2019, 08:08   #18
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Italy
Age: 31
Posts: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by xubidoo View Post
Just seen an original working CD32 controller go on eBay for £61 + £4.95 Shipping !!
Paid something like €30 shipped for mine some months ago on eBay. Waited for a few months, but I finally managed it. The issue nowadays is that people are impatient.

Paid €30 for my A500 one year ago, came complete with a few floppies. Back then they were already going for crazy prices (saw some sold for €100), but I just bid my time as always.

That's how I also managed to score my A2000 for 35€ one year ago

If everyone did what I do, prices would low dramatically and we wouldn't have scalpers (which do prefer to call themselves "retro sellers" these days) anymore
jbenam is offline  
Old 31 October 2019, 12:00   #19
Glen M
Registered User

 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Belfast
Posts: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Paid something like €30 shipped for mine some months ago on eBay. Waited for a few months, but I finally managed it. The issue nowadays is that people are impatient.

Paid €30 for my A500 one year ago, came complete with a few floppies. Back then they were already going for crazy prices (saw some sold for €100), but I just bid my time as always.

That's how I also managed to score my A2000 for 35€ one year ago

If everyone did what I do, prices would low dramatically and we wouldn't have scalpers (which do prefer to call themselves "retro sellers" these days) anymore
Couldn't agree more with this. For me the fun is in the hunt and I prefer to wait until I get the deal rather than jump and pay the stupid prices that do nothing but hurt future prices. If someone pays £300 for an A1200 today well they can pay £310 tomorrow and so on.

Only a couple of months ago I bought an A1200 for £100 complete with HDD, printer, mouse, joypad, handful of games etc. The seller was happy and so was I. In fact he had already been offered £80 from a couple of people but I was happy to pay the asking price.

I suppose the original idea of this topic isn't really going to work as I'm basis is on UK prices whereas in other parts of the world the machines are more rare and do command a high price.
Glen M is offline  
Old 31 October 2019, 12:38   #20
lesta_smsc
Registered User

lesta_smsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen M View Post

Only a couple of months ago I bought an A1200 for £100 complete with HDD, printer, mouse, joypad, handful of games etc. The seller was happy and so was I. In fact he had already been offered £80 from a couple of people but I was happy to pay the asking price.
Incredible!
lesta_smsc is offline  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Valuation Needed: CD32 + Paravision SX-1 robheaton MarketPlace 18 12 December 2017 14:47
A1200 Setup Valuation before Sale Lorfarius MarketPlace 6 03 February 2011 23:52
Valuation for an Escom AT1200 030@50MHz Parsec MarketPlace 9 15 December 2010 20:37
GVP Impact A500 HD8+ Series II Valuation please? paulcan MarketPlace 3 28 August 2010 16:18
Valuation needed: SX32 for CD32 bebek MarketPlace 5 02 June 2010 00:49

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Page generated in 0.09515 seconds with 13 queries