English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 March 2014, 20:01   #1
springycz

Indivision ECS - can't make it to work

Hi all, I have a strange problem with iECS that I just bought from Amibay. I connected it to A604 according to pictures so I suppose that I connected it correctly. I plugged LCD monitor in VGA connector and turned A600 on and got no signal from the monitor. So I swapped A604 with A603 and only thing I can see now is iECS intro screen but nothing else after it disappears. I just realized that floppy doesn't work. It's not ticking and even reading workbench disk when A604 or A603 with iECS are attached to the A600. Have you got any ideas where the problem could be? Both chip ram cards worked well as chip ram before.
Old 03 March 2014, 21:03   #2
Amicol

Try a different monitor, mine was the same. Didn't work with my Commodore 1942, works fine on my Gateway LCD (high def)
Old 03 March 2014, 21:12   #3
springycz

OK I'll try it with with another monitor. But what's wrong with floppy and possibly with IDE? After disconnecting iECS rest of HW works as usual.
Old 03 March 2014, 21:58   #4
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Caps leaked in the A600? PSU not up to the job?

There is a config tool for the ECS, you might need to adjust some settings so will need another Monitor connected to RGB or other output whilst you make the adjustments.

Lastly I read some A600 don't work with the ECS. You will need to research this point for the reasons.
Old 03 March 2014, 23:05   #5
Amicol

Also, I read that you don't put the Denise chip in the Indivision on an A600. Have you left it unpopulated?
Old 03 March 2014, 23:13   #6
springycz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Caps leaked in the A600? PSU not up to the job?

There is a config tool for the ECS, you might need to adjust some settings so will need another Monitor connected to RGB or other output whilst you make the adjustments.

Lastly I read some A600 don't work with the ECS. You will need to research this point for the reasons.
Caps seams to be in good condition. Will try different PSU tomorrow as well as experiments with config tool.

Well that would be unpleasant surprise.

Thanks for your hints!
Old 03 March 2014, 23:19   #7
springycz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amicol View Post
Also, I read that you don't put the Denise chip in the Indivision on an A600. Have you left it unpopulated?
Yes, I have. Just like the manual says. Thank you too!
Old 04 March 2014, 23:20   #8
springycz

So the progress with iECS issue is that now Amiga boots from HDD . I cleaned all contacts on iECS, A604, A603 and Amiga with isopropyl alcohol and attached all proprietary parts together. I also attached a CRT monitor to RGB port to see what's going on. When Amiga is on CRT monitor shows workbench as usual. All what I can get from iECS is its Indivision intro screen during booting but as long as workbench is loaded it only shows dark pink screen. It is the same with both of my LED displays. It is the same no matter which card A603 or A604 I'm using. Have you ever seen something like this? Based on this where could be the problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140304_174425.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	39262  
Old 05 March 2014, 20:24   #9
springycz

Today I have find out that there is something wrong with the connection between iECS and A604. I was able to get picture from iECS connected to A603. The picture is as good as the one from RGB and there are horizontal lines across the picture. So everything is not ok. Flashing tool says that Indivision ECS is running and the core number is 1.01. But I'm not able to run the config tool yet and don't know what is going on here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140305_181938.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	364.4 KB
ID:	39274  
Old 05 March 2014, 20:57   #10
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
That certainly looks like a connectivity issue, have you tried cleaning the A600 edge connector?

Also do you have pin strips between the A604/iECS? You might have to remove them if they were fitted as 'risers'
Old 05 March 2014, 21:51   #11
springycz

Yep I cleaned everything even edge connector. It wasn't so dirty bu now it's shiny. I used motherboard with new caps so the problem obviosly isn't in mobo. As it more or less works with A603 I'll focus on it. Do you thing that config tool will solve the issue with strange picture and vertical lines or there is something else what causes it?

And NO. There is no riser between A604 and iECS even it would help to use a ground cable becouse without riser a screw holding the ground cable on i ECS touches the metal legs of RTC connector on A604 so it is impossible to use iECS with ground cable.

Last edited by springycz; 05 March 2014 at 21:58.
Old 06 March 2014, 13:23   #12
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by springycz View Post
Yep I cleaned everything even edge connector. It wasn't so dirty bu now it's shiny. I used motherboard with new caps so the problem obviosly isn't in mobo. As it more or less works with A603 I'll focus on it. Do you thing that config tool will solve the issue with strange picture and vertical lines or there is something else what causes it?

And NO. There is no riser between A604 and iECS even it would help to use a ground cable becouse without riser a screw holding the ground cable on i ECS touches the metal legs of RTC connector on A604 so it is impossible to use iECS with ground cable.

Need high res pics of top of the board.