English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 23 October 2011, 15:53   #961
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Saw Cars 2.

Its funny, its clever, its beautiful. I especially love how the movie tours through Europe, the art work is exquisite. Especially London looks incredibly real.

But the movie, or its creators to be more precise, fails horribly nonetheless. Why?

We're talking about a movie here that captured the hearts of children all around the world in a massive way while teaching a lesson or two to adults as well; friends and family are important and once in a while you need to calm down and enjoy the scenery in stead of blasting through life and missing everything that is important. Did you see the small beetle cars as insects the first time around for example? Such fun details!

And what does part 2 bring us? Guns, explosions and even the mentioning of death. Its death alright, the death of what could have been an amazing franchise. Shame Pixar, shame! You should have made this into a sequel of the Incredibles in stead.

I give it an 8 for being a fun movie for people over 10 years of age, but as a movie for young children, I'd give it no more than a 5. It just goes too fast for the little tikes and doesn't show enough of the wacky cars stuff.
Old 07 November 2011, 21:27   #962
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Saw Captain America.

The movie has style, I'll give it that. Its also fun how it ties into the world of Iron Man while keeping its own separated sub-universe. Finally, the transition of the main character of a scrawny little man into a muscled brute is baffling even in today's world of computer software.

But like most super hero movies, including the recent Thor, the movie spends too much time building up momentum. First the CA character has to fully develop and that takes half the movie. Then what is left is a rushed up little story with very little conflict that is only half as interesting as it should be.

Its a right shame as this could have been a great movie. As it is, it is a very good introduction for what is going to undoubtedly be an amazing sequel. 6.5/10.
Old 28 November 2011, 01:08   #963
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Two more movies.

The Twilight Samurai: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0351817/

Negate all assumptions you make about the movie after reading the title. This is a beautiful, intimate yet simple story that plays like a book; every scene is imprinted into your brain with minute detail, like you're really there living the life. I cannot describe it with words, go see this epic masterpiece and thank me for it later. 9.5/10, right in my top 3 favorite movies.

the Andromeda Strain (2008): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424600/

Having read the excellent book, I was of course highly skeptical. The movie (well, mini series really, two times 1.5 hours) doesn't start out too bad following the original story pretty close, but after about an hour in it shoots off into retarded sci-fi territory. Which is a right shame as what made the book so nice to read is that it toys with your fears and beliefs - it could really happen. What this movie shows you absolutely cannot.

But still, if you forget it is based on a book it is quite entertaining and worth to watch. 6/10.
Old 01 December 2011, 20:55   #964
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

and another: saw Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Surprisingly good movie. Forget that it has anything to do with Planet of the Apes, it hardly does. This movie is about seeing the son of a genetically altered ape grow into something that is more than human; I won't say better, just more. No morality lessons involved either, just a nice story that focuses on the apes in stead of the humans. Absolutely love it! 7.5/10.
Old 08 December 2011, 20:00   #965
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

And other one (am I the only one watching movies?): Killer Elite. Another Statham movie, but I was interested because it has De Niro and Clive Owen. Plus it is supposedly a somewhat true story.

Didn't matter though, this movie was one giant snooze fest for me. The story as it is told is flat, predictable and really doesn't go anywhere most of the time. Its just that some blokes get to do a job for questionable reasons, they go to some places, kill some people (with absolutely *zero* resistance and they're supposed to be killing pros), piss some other people off, get hunted down (well, they get followed a bit) and end up in what looks to be a poor attempt at a homage to the excellent Heat.

3/10 from me, seriously boring.
Old 08 December 2011, 22:03   #966
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
...am I the only one watching movies?3/10 from me, seriously boring.
Sure looks like it, mate!

(Well, if your ratings are, like, "3/10 - seriously boring", what do you expect? )
Old 09 December 2011, 10:47   #967
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Hey, look at the previous entries! I even named a new top 3 favorite of mine
Old 09 December 2011, 14:30   #968
DH
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
... am I the only one watching movies? ...
Get a family mate and then movies will almost become a thing of the distant past, believe me, I know
Old 09 December 2011, 15:18   #969
seuden
uber cool demi god

I watched Flypaper, was quite entertaining and very funny I thought. 6.5/10
I watched The Thing, was quite entertaining. 6.5/10
I watched Fright Night, was as entertaining as the original I thought, a little slow but worth watching. 6/10
I watched Warrior, thought it was excellent and I'm also a big fan of Tom Hardy. 9/10
I watched Colombiana, wasn't too bad, exactly what I expected to be honest. 6/10
I watched Blue Valentine, was ok, worth watching the once I spose but I don't I'll ever watch again. 6/10
I watched 30 Minutes or Less, was entertaining, quite funny but not as funny as I thought it was gonna be and it wasn't as fast paced as I thought it was going to be. 5.5/10
I watched Chatroom, pretty boring to be honest. 4/10
I watched Psycho, was quite good, pretty obvious tho. 7/10
I watched Scum, love this film. 8/10
I watched Crazy Stupid Love, thought it was good. 7.5/10
I watched Nill by Mouth, it was still good after all these years, maybe not as good as I remember. 7/10
I watched In Time, thought it was quite entertaining, was strangely quite attracted to the lead women tho, so might have helped. It was nice to see a new idea on the dystopia kinda genre. 7/10
Old 09 December 2011, 16:07   #970
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Woohoo, a list of movies of which I have not seen most. That's more like it

Quote:
Get a family mate and then movies will almost become a thing of the distant past, believe me, I know
I have my girlfriend and my cat, that is more than enough I don't know how old your clones are, but the movie stuff should come back eventually. Collecting and watching movies was a big family thing when I was still living with my parents, I don't know how much time we spent watching and discussing movies. Still do by the way when I make a visit, usually me answering questions like "Which movie was that, with the thing and the guy!?"

My parents are awesome in that respect anyway. I answer the same questions about Amiga games regularly. "What game was that with the wizards and the thingies and the ghosties?". Wizzy's Quest mom. I don't know how many evenings she spent playing that among other cute puzzle type games. a very underrated PD game IMO, it was very well done.

http://hol.abime.net/3872
Old 09 December 2011, 21:12   #971
prowler
Global Moderator

Hey Seuden, you should have posted them one at a time - spaced them out a bit. Then you'd have kept Gimby happy for months!
Old 10 December 2011, 18:49   #972
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

He'd have to wait for me to post about a new movie in between, because otherwise TCD would have been on his ass for multiposting
Old 13 December 2011, 01:59   #973
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

and another one: finished the saga by watching Saw 7 AKA Saw 3D.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1477076/

Even with all the excessive gore, I kept enjoying the first 6 installments because of the story that kept on growing new layers. So I wondered how it would all wrap up in the last movie.

Badly. You can clearly tell that the well was dry and an easy way out was chosen, by resurrecting the only character not recycled yet. About 90% of the movie is utterly pointless too, not adding ANYTHING to the movie other than blood and gore. It isn't "fun" when it doesn't tie in to the story, it is only sick. Speaking of gore: this movie tops all others. The traps are so devious and horrific, there were times I actually just didn't want to watch because I knew what was coming. Good job there.

Seven movies, seven years of work and then this! I want to play a game. The rules are simple. The penalty for failure: death (of a good franchise). I will list what is good and bad about the movie. If the score is below 6, you fail.

Incredibly weak writing: -8. If you make this movie sin, you do not deserve a positive score.
Making gimby wince: +1. Hey, this is Saw, it is supposed to be gory as hell. In this movie they succeeded royally, so I reward that.
Pointlessness: -2. Closely related to the weak writing, but you can have a weak story that at least has some merit so this adds doubly to the misery.
Acting: +1. What do you prove when you star in Saw? That you can scream and look horrified. Everyone does that very well.
Presentation: +2. You need a tetanus shot just watching this movie, the rust and goo almost oozes out of your television. Really well designed and presented in that classic horror movie "green hue" style that makes you uneasy just looking at it.

The clock is ticking, the ending score is 4.

*turns off light* GAME OVER! *slams door shut*
Old 13 December 2011, 21:24   #974
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hey Seuden, you should have posted them one at a time - spaced them out a bit. Then you'd have kept Gimby happy for months!
Haha! This is true.

I'll post some more soon gimbal.
Old 21 December 2011, 13:13   #975
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Oh my god, there is going to be a cinema sequel (as apposed to direct to DVD) of Ghost Rider.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1071875/

I mean, WHY? The original sucked so much balls even actors couldn't stomach it. Did it actually make enough money!?

Well I hope they put just a little more... movie in this sequel. Since the directors (two of them!) were also responsible for the insane 'Crank', I have higher hopes this time around.
Old 21 December 2011, 14:56   #976
john4p
Local Moderator

The Hobbit trailer: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 23 January 2012, 00:58   #977
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Real Steel. Its a very entertaining movie, I highly recommend it. The only thing it has going against it is that darned Disney-like "dis-functional family grows closer" thing they just -had- to include in the storyline because its never been done before, but it only becomes cringe worthy at the very end so it doesn't get in the way of the actual movie.

Apparently 'the making of' is also something to see as this movie is not all CGI - the robots are actually real! Of course not in all scenes, but we've got real moving robots here. Now that's some next generation animatronics, Its a real breath of fresh air to see some effort to not do an entire movie with a computer. Well done.

7.5/10.
Old 24 January 2012, 00:37   #978
pubzombie

Watched the Blueray special edition of Romero's 1985 Day of the Dead over the weekend. Its really great and packed with extras and interviews etc. Felt strange at first seeing it in HD after seeing it so many times on VHS. The extra quality did real justice to some of the performances from the epic bad guys like Rhodes and Steele. Even Bub the zombie seems different and Howard Sherman seems to actualy be trying to communicate rather than just moan. Epic film made even better.
Old 24 January 2012, 10:44   #979
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

He, I'll pass on that tip to my girlfriend She loves zombie movies and Romero especially.
Old 15 February 2012, 17:19   #980
pubzombie

Just re-watched Gamebox 1.0
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414036/
[ Show youtube player ]
its sooooo bad it is good - sort of comes full circle; like a carcrash i cant stop watching it