English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 06 November 2019, 18:17   #2561
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I have very shadowy memory of watching this movie as kid. Placed it on hold @ library. Thanks!
Old 06 November 2019, 20:03   #2562
jmmijo

Canonball Run, a fun movie for sure.

"Whatsa Behind Me is Not Importanta..."

-Raul Julia

Nothing like a duel between the American AC Cobra and a Ferrari, just like the 60's when Ford was challenging Ferrari
Old 08 November 2019, 11:07   #2563
Retro1234
Boo

Doctor Sleep - Better than a real doctor in Sleep, I Truly did fall asleep, just can't come close to
Kubrick just another millennium B movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post

This Child's Play does away with the whole possessed puppet aspect and instead... makes it tech-nonsense. It's an advanced AI that has its restrictions taken out of it by an angry employee (that happens in the first 2 minutes, I hardly consider that a spoiler). Gradually as the movie goes along, you see that AI get more and more tainted by the world around it. It's motivations to turn into a murdering psychopath I will not spoil, but at least that is a nice twist over the original.

So the new Chucky is expertly voiced by Mark Hamill. I'm glad it isn't another Joker-variant, he can make that doll sound ominous to the max while maintaining a childish ring to it. Unfortunately... that does nothing for the movie. The movie has some really gruesome deaths. Good stuff. But it doesn't save the movie. It has some good characters, very relatable. But that doesn't save the movie. Because it is and always will be a really lame knock off of the original that resorted to tech-nonsense. It's friggin' Skynet in a puppet.

4/10
I thought compared to the other Recent films in the Child Play series this is Brilliant, this is not a Brilliant film but commpared to the direction this Series was going this is Brilliant and offers a way forward for this generation.
Old 08 November 2019, 15:38   #2564
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

ha ha, sucks to be me You had fun watching the movie, I really didn't.
Old 13 November 2019, 04:08   #2565
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
We saw Doctor Sleep with the missus since she insisted on doing so, and it was even more disappointing, and cliché that the trailer was suggesting it would be,
even silly at times. Rebecca Ferguson is sexy (not phenomenal), there is this fable going on about true friendship VS relationships motivated by greed or lust,
a couple of references to Se7en that's about it. Back at home, I did watch a couple of interesting movies,
  • the Adventurers aka Xia dao lian meng (2017) by Stephen Fung, think James Bond with Asian thieves enjoying a "ménage à trois", it was panned by critics mainly because of our national Mr. Jean Reno shoddy performance. It should be mentioned though that the guy isn't Tom Cruise (in the sense that he never was trained to become an athlete), he did what he could considering his age and the diabetes illness he has to endure.
  • Above mentioned film is a remake of a 1991 John Woo movie which I happen to be found of, entertaining and full of twists so watch both if you manage to find them online with English subs (I could )
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (1968), aimed mostly at children or young adults, featuring the great Dick Van Dyke and the ineffable "Benny Hill" dude aka Alfred Hawthorn Hill, watch it with your kids if the Mary Poppins remake featuring Emily Blunt from last year left a bad taste in your mouth. It could be argued that this is indeed a long-drawn-out, somehow patchy film but some scenes are unmissable, such as the music box dance :

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by SquawkBox; 13 November 2019 at 08:00.
Old 14 November 2019, 13:35   #2566
SquawkBox

A couple more :
  • Leviathan (1989), a competent Aliens meets Abyss action movie featuring a red hot Meg Foster, and Richard Crenna from the Rambo franchise fame. Less philosophical than the Alien franchise, less contemplative than the Abyss, a claustrophobic atmosphere and camera work is remarkable with this one,
    I must say.

Unofficial trailer :

[ Show youtube player ]

• Loaded Weapon 1 (1993)
    "Two trigger-happy cops try to stop the distribution of mind-rotting Wilderness Girl cookies", many many cameos, Tim Curry, Samuel L. 'muthafucka' Jackson,
    one of the fairly good buddy cops spoof movie from the bunch that were made during the 90s ... You got me, a blatant Hot Shots ripoff, still it manages to be entertaining (watch it in its original version, preferably).

[ Show youtube player ]

Last edited by SquawkBox; 14 November 2019 at 15:53.
Old 14 November 2019, 14:28   #2567
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Ha ha, yeah Loaded Weapon One of those movies I watched on an almost daily repeat as a kid. The scene where Samuel L. Jackson speaks into a megaphone and a foreign language comes out ("Someone give me an American one!") still cracks me up.

[ Show youtube player ]

Starts at 4:10

The Silence of the Lambs and Basic Instinct spoofs in it are also quite good.

Last edited by gimbal; 14 November 2019 at 20:34.
Old 14 November 2019, 17:03   #2568
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Walking in trailer and room seems like palace interior...
Old 14 November 2019, 18:05   #2569
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Walking in trailer and room seems like palace interior...
What movie trailer are you referring to, if I am not missing the point entirely ? I mean, it's almost as if you were about to compose a metaphysical poem.
Old 14 November 2019, 19:58   #2570
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Check posts before mine...

Or just see this...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 15 November 2019, 00:07   #2571
SquawkBox

Ah, never was confronted with trailer in that context. in the sense something that is trailed, yup I got it now.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 15 November 2019 at 13:45.
Old 15 November 2019, 13:33   #2572
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

That is funny movie.

Last night I saw Peppermint (2018) - and got surprised. They actually managed to make classical revenge story to work as believable, with great portraits of characters involved. This is what Death Wish was supposed to be like, and more compares to Law Abiding Citizen, this was by far more packed with action, dirty cop, judge, system that failed to deliver justice... Garner is really great fit for this movie.

8 / 10

Old 15 November 2019, 13:52   #2573
SquawkBox

Sure, a funny film, but I think the zaz formulae (Zucker, Abrahams & Zucker) was on the verge of getting a bit tiresome by the mid 90's.

Btw, have you seen J. Garner in Daredevil (2003), in which she plays a street vigilante, along with Ben Affleck ? If you haven't, I suggest watching it,
preferably the extended version.
Old 15 November 2019, 14:47   #2574
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I own the DVD, but never seen it. There are many Affleck movies I haven't seen, wonder why. (also it is scary how many DVDs and BRs I have that I have never seen. Just got them for collection.

Last edited by Anubis; 15 November 2019 at 16:20.
Old 15 November 2019, 16:17   #2575
haps
Rumpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
Btw, have you seen J. Garner in Daredevil (2003), in which she plays a street vigilante, along with Ben Affleck ? If you haven't, I suggest watching it,
preferably the extended version.

Puerile holywood garbage.
Old 16 November 2019, 00:53   #2576
SquawkBox

Quote:
scary how many DVDs and BRs I have that I have never seen.
I had bought quite a few Bollywood (Indian, in general) films on DVD a while ago, I know it's an acquired taste but I did enjoy watching some of these. That's not how I usually proceed though, I am definitely a "dvdrip" kind of guy. I transfer the file (mkv, mp4 or avi) on my cable network box to watch it on the big screen.
I also have a Marantz BD player for the few films that won't play from the above mentioned box (copied on a 128 GB USB Dell thumb drive from which it can read media files) . Sometimes, I use Handbrake to create the dvdrip myself, out of vob files.
Anyway, I created a catalog out of the 79 Bollywood films I own thanks to Ant Movie Catalog a freebie which I would like to recommend to you. It's a convenient tool, nothing fancy, just what the name implies, check some screenshot :

Once you have done that, just go through the list, roll a 1D20 dice if you still can't make up your mind, and start watching those films of yours at your own pace. The sensation is nearly as if you were at the video club in person... Well, not exactly but you see my point, hopefully.

Old 17 November 2019, 06:18   #2577
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Have you ever seen the Cannonball Run? If not - put it on your wishlist and ignore the sequels.

My favorite character from that movie: the doctor.

[ Show youtube player ]
The Cannonball Run (1981)
Saw it again, thank you for recomendation.

Most memorable scene was with Jackie Chan and computer car + p0rn VHS in car.

Couple quotes (from IMDB)...

Fenderbaum: We've got a secret weapon. God is our co-pilot!
The Greek: You'll need him!
Jamie Blake: *God* is our copilot?
Fenderbaum: Uh huh...
Jamie Blake: Remember our car?
Fenderbaum: Uh huh...
Jamie Blake: Two seats?
Fenderbaum: Two seats...
Jamie Blake: Where's he gonna sit?
[smack]
Jamie Blake: Where's he gonna sit?
[smack]

J.J. McClure: Thanks to you, Victor, we do not have a female patient in the back. Thanks to your wonderful cousin Tessie.
Victor Prinsi: Well, it's not my fault that she didn't fit in the stretcher!
J.J. McClure: She doesn't fit in the AMBULANCE!

Shaky Finch: Come on! 1000 miles on one wheel? We're trying to win a race, not set a record!

Just crazy amount of good actors, from who most are not with us anymore, unfortunately. Also it is more crazy to know that movie is based on real races from 70s?!

6.5 / 10

I have also seen John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (2019). With this movie, you know what to expect, and as usual for this series, it does not disappoint at all. Movie starts 1 hour after end of second movie in series and this time movie takes you on journey to Africa and back. Some known faces from previous movies are still there, but there are some new ones there as well. Worst part about this movie is that we will wait until 2021 to see next chapter. (and wonder if that will be last one) As in previous 2 movies, administration is done on Vic 20 computers. You can't never seen enough good scenes with shotgun action from close range...

7.5 / 10

Speaking of wait, 2022 for Matrix 4. Wonder how they will revive that franchise.

Last edited by Anubis; 17 November 2019 at 06:32.
Old 18 November 2019, 10:49   #2578
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Halloween (2018).

I think horror movies are completely ruined for me, because I was thoroughly bored watching this. It's a slasher, it does nothing new. Michael is in a mental institute, he gets transported to a more heavy duty facility, of course he gets out and he immediately sets out to get his mask back and go to finish a job he had to abandon 40 years ago. Along the way he brutally murders many people. Oh yeah, and horny teenagers. Can it get any more cookie cutter than that?

It's a pretty horror movie and the music is still great, that's about all I have to say about it that's positive. I don't know why this was popular enough to get yet another two sequels...

5/10
Old 19 November 2019, 03:19   #2579
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
movie featuring a red hot Meg Foster
Have been mixing up the two of them... I meant a red hot Amanda Pays. While Pays has a couple of nude scenes, Meg Foster plays the cynical big boss in Leviathan, as she never went inside the submarine or really lend a hand to the crew members. Blue eyed Foster did appear in a few tasteful B-grade horror movies / thrillers, among which one I just finished watching : The Stepfather II (1989).

Last edited by SquawkBox; 19 November 2019 at 12:23.
Old 19 November 2019, 11:05   #2580
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:

Speaking of wait, 2022 for Matrix 4. Wonder how they will revive that franchise.
Hopefully, by making it a proper story-driven sci-fi action movie with less crying and prophecies. And no weird cave orgies.