English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 December 2005, 10:38   #1
Jerry

Change RDB preserving partitions?

Hi,
when I installed my 20 gig hd into my A1200 I didn't care much for the full capacity. I somehow managed to use 8 gig with the old hdtoolbox. Now partitions get filled and I'd like to use the remaining 10 gig.
I installed the scsi.device replacement and can see the whole harddrive in the new hdtoolbox if I read settings directly from hd. Still I'd don't want to format the whole drive and would like to preserve at least the boot partition. As far as I understand the information in the rdb would have to be changed to use the whole drive!? Or could I just reread the settings, save them and then transform the old partition boundaries to the new format (Heads, Sectors change)?
Old 30 December 2005, 11:48   #2
thomas

The "new" HDToolbox tends to delete all partitions if you change the drive geometry, so you should write down the settings for each partition (start cyl, end cyl, block size and file system). Also write down the current geometry data (especially the blocks per cylinder).

Then go to install drive, choose to edit the old data and increase the number of cylinders until the total number of blocks matches the size of your HDD. Do not change the values for heads / sectors and blocks per cyl, otherwise you have to recalculate the start/end cylinders of your partitions.

After installation changes are done, check if your partitions are still there. If not, enter them manually.

Before you start with the entire procedure make sure you have a working emergency boot disk with a recovery tool on it (e.g. RDBrecov).
Old 30 December 2005, 18:53   #3
Jerry

Hmm,
I can't get it to work. As soon as I have done all the changes the partitions are no longer recognized as valid disks. Replacing the rdb with the original one works. Or do I have to not repartition the drive but directly use RDBrecov?
Old 30 December 2005, 19:29   #4
thomas

Quote:
Replacing the rdb with the original one works. Or do I have to not repartition the drive but directly use RDBrecov?
You have to repartition the drive in any case. RDBRecov just tells you what you have to enter in HDToolbox.

Quote:
As soon as I have done all the changes the partitions are no longer recognized as valid disks.
Check the block size of the partitions. Old HDToolbox's default was 512 and the new HDToolbox uses 1024. So to make it work, you have to change each partition back to 512.
Old 30 December 2005, 19:57   #5
Jerry

Yes,
you rule. Thanks a lot. That saved a lot of trouble/time. Problem was the block size of the partitions. Still I could only preserve the first two disks (probably because they started below the 4 gig boundary?), but that's enough because I mainly needed my root partition because I didn't want to go through the hassle of swapping harddisks, configuring networt and what not.