English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 16 September 2019, 19:50   #2541
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Maybe in EU and rest of the world, but here in USA did not make enough to pay for movie making, what is usually good measure for USA based film production.

$127M in US, $341M rest of the world, and production $135M.

Just for comparison, The Martian (2015) made $228M domestically from $108M budget, and still some would not consider it a hit.

Had to check this, it seems that Bumblebeee is #6 in Transformers universe if sorted by earnings, being only in front of animated movie from 1986.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franch...ansformers.htm

This really has to stop at some point...

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...nsformers7.htm

[

Last edited by Anubis; 17 September 2019 at 03:30.
Old 29 September 2019, 23:10   #2542
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Vice. Another movie that made me go "damn, now that's a movie!"

So yeah, a movie about Dick Cheney. It's not really a biopic, it's cut like a normal narrative movie and for me it checks all the boxes. The acting is top-notch - like beyond good. Christian Bale is back, Amy Adams knocks it out of the park, Steve Carell takes playing a jerky nice guy to a new level. The worst performer in the movie is Sam Rockwell and that is not because he is bad but because he plays George Bush Junior - talk about a boring character to have to play for such a versatile actor and still he manages to make you crack a smile.

The movie never gets boring as it not only has a really unique narrative style I don't think I've seen yet. How do I describe it? Random mode is on for this movie and it works wonders. but when you least expect it the movie likes to throw humor at you, good humor too. And it is rooted in reality with real footage spliced in so you're always on the lookout for those news clips you've actually seen.

Yeah! Now this is a movie! Do note that I may have an advantage seeing this movie as I am from a different continent, I have no political bias Just watch it like it's fiction and marvel at some quality acting.

8.5/10
Old 02 October 2019, 14:05   #2543
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Instant Family (2018)

I'll be honest - I did not expect much from this movie, I thought it was supposed to be comedy, but as soon as movie started, you know this will be emotional roller coaster with some funny bits here and there while covering everyday struggle of foster kids and parents. If you ever thought to be a foster parent, watch this movie...

8 / 10
Old 04 October 2019, 14:16   #2544
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Replicas (2019)

You know that feeling when you watch movie and you are not sure if it will turn violently horror or if it will be heart tearing drama, and in end you all you got is sci-fi thriller. Story follows researcher Will Foster played by Keanu Reeves, who is working on transferring human mind to robots, who in desperation move to get his family back creates clones/replicas of them.

From slow start to rush at the end of the movie, movie more focuses on moral and ethics, specially concerning cloning human being and at some point dark future if technology to capture human mind gets in wrong hands (which most likely will be the case ).

While this movie does not bring anything new to the genre and it is heavily inspired by I, Robot movie/book, it is still worth watching if you have stomach for hard choices placed against main character.

7/10
Old 06 October 2019, 20:41   #2545
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Joker.

Now this is what I'm talking about. Quality film making is still alive and making a comeback. As per usual I went to see this movie in the morning, 10AM. Shit weather outside, cold, raining. Everyone that was in the room right there and then was there because they couldn't wait to see this. When I left the room and walked down the stairs to the exit, some people passed me. Everyone was silent, but I could hear one word. "Wow".

Joker is... something else. It actually hurt me to watch it, it's painful. The life that Joaquin Phoenix's Arthur Fleck has to go through... oof, it's no joke. And as we see this character get beaten down more and more by his life, the city he lives in and even his own mother, we slooooowly see someone else appear. And every time that someone else appears... the movie becomes a little brighter. A little more funny even. And above all, more badass.

This is not a Batman property even though it is tied to it. This is not a DC movie even though it is based on some of it's trademarks. It's not a superhero movie, nobody is a hero in this world. And it's... gruesome, I've never seen this amount of adult material in a DC-derivative, it goes above and beyond. It's grimy, filthy, nasty. And brilliant.

So the question is: Is this a Joker origin movie? I'm not telling, you just have to see it for yourself.

9.5/10 Movie Of The Year. Performance of the decade.
Old 07 October 2019, 14:15   #2546
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Bleach (2018)
After reading manga long time ago and watching anime, I was surprised to see movie with the same name. In general I would avoid watching something like this, but for this one I made an exception. It is not unwatchable, but it is nothing special either. It does include some nice visuals, and some characters are well presented, but overall - probably better to stick to manga and anime.

5 / 10

Crazy Rich Asians (2018)
Not often I like romantic comedy, but this movie just was good entertainment and it covers some every day issues with tradition and modern life, that cares less if you rich or poor. Movie follows New Yorker Rachel Chu's trip to her boyfriends best friend's wedding in Singapore - where she learns bit more about his past and how rich his family is. Movie shows colorfulness of Singapore and could be mistaken for commercial advert.

7 / 10

Cold Pursuit (2019)
Revenge movie that covers grieving father killing mob that is responsible for his son's death. It is not just that this movie does not bring anything new to genre, but it is also remake of the 2014 Norwegian film 'In Order of Disappearance'. It is just not as good as some movies that have the same theme... and ending is just as bad as rest of it. Not sure what I was even expecting - action or something...

5 / 10
Old 08 October 2019, 14:21   #2547
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Glass (2019)
Finally got around to see this movie and still thinking about it. It is story about super heroes, but without super heroes. It makes you question what makes super heroes 'super' and makes clear distinction between vigilante and super heroes.

What bothered me is that ending was quite predictable and that is something we already saw in Jumper, but that time Samuel L. Jackson was on the 'other side'.

What makes this movie great is how good actor is James McAvoy. Just for reminder, here are 20 characters he played in movie:

* Patricia
* Dennis
* Hedwig
* The Beast
* Barry
* Heinrich
* Jade
* Ian
* Mary Reynolds
* Norma
* Jalin
* Kat
* B.T.
* Kevin Wendell Crumb
* Mr. Pritchard
* Felida
* Luke
* Goddard
* Samuel
* Polly

This is just incredible movie and worth watching.

8 / 10
Old 08 October 2019, 14:34   #2548
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

And he can do that on the spot when giving an interview too.

The trouble with that list of characters is that you start to see them in other movies I mean his character in IT Chapter 2 definitely feels like it rolled out of Glass.
Old 08 October 2019, 14:48   #2549
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
And he can do that on the spot when giving an interview too.

The trouble with that list of characters is that you start to see them in other movies I mean his character in IT Chapter 2 definitely feels like it rolled out of Glass.

I am not sure if I would call that trouble... as long as he is not arguing with himself, I think he is safe.

Unlike Seth MacFarlane...

[ Show youtube player ]

Both great in what they are doing...
Old 08 October 2019, 15:07   #2550
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Joker.

9.5/10 Movie Of The Year. Performance of the decade.
Thanks to review like this, I will most likely see this movie in movie theater, what would not be case without reviews like this. I think more than once I pointed that what I don't like in DC universe is that many actors play the same characters.

Appart from Hamil, Nicholson and late Ledger, somehow Jared Leto just filled correctly into roll and I was wondering if we will see a movie with him as Joker. According to this, Phoenix did better job, but still, couldn't they for once stick to single actor?!

Last edited by Anubis; 08 October 2019 at 22:02.
Old 08 October 2019, 21:53   #2551
Paul_s
Stuck in the 80s

Maytime (1923)

watch for free: https://www.filmpreservation.org/pre.../maytime-1923#

Ottilie Van Zandt is forced to wed her cousin, despite her love for Richard Wayne, the gardener's son. Richard leaves, vowing to return a wealthy man and eligible suitor for her. He returns to find she has already married and, in turn, marries another girl on impulse. Two generations later, the grandchildren of Ottilie and Richard, who both have inherited their names as well, meet and develop a close friendship that culminates in the romance that their grandparents began but could not consummate years before.

3 reels are missing from this film so it's incomplete (considered lost now )

It's such a shame some of these films are either lost or sitting in Library of Congress Archives (or other archives round the world)... slowly disintegrating into... nothing (or self combustion). Restoration comes at a price though in the tens of thousands
Old 08 October 2019, 23:22   #2552
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Appart from Hamil, Nicholson and late Ledger, somehow Jared Leto just filled correctly into roll and I was wondering if we will see a movie with him as Joker. According to this, Phoenix did better job, but still, couldn't they for once stick to single actor?!
"Joker" is not in any way part of the DC shared universe, I'll spoil that much. I hope Leto will still be allowed to do something with his version of the joker, because I quite liked the 3 minutes he was in Suicide Squad. I also like the fan theories surrounding him - that he is actually a former Robin turned Joker. Something that actually happened in the comics, I have read.

I would recommend seeing Joker on a big IMAX screen. The movie is made for it.
Old 11 October 2019, 01:17   #2553
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse.

I was kind of ignoring this one because it didn't look too appealing to me. I didn't really like the animation style in the trailers, it looked a little jerky to me...

Well now I've seen the actual movie and... I'm glad I did. The movie melds 3D animation and comic book 2D art so well, it's incredible. It has a good dose of lighthearted humor too. Content-wise this is far removed from the Marvel cinematic universe, it actually looks closer connected to the classic Tobyverse. But I think it is supposed to be viewed completely standalone as a fresh comic book adaptation.

I'm still kind of curious why the animation sometimes becomes really low framerate though, you also often see that in Japanese animation where one moment everything animates really fluently and then all of a sudden it's like half the frames are cut out. It's like the movie switches between being computer animated and hand drawn, except that it is still all computer animated. It looks a bit jarring to me, but it doesn't ruin the fun.

Voice acting... meh, not great but not bad either. There are no real voice acting pros in here that steal the show, just people doing their job and no more. You will spot Nicolas Cage on the list, you'd not really notice him if you didn't read it.

The premise: it's the multiverse popping up again and the movie throws several different Spider-men, Spider-women and a surprise Spider-I'm-not-telling all into the same universe. They have to work together to beat the bad guys and get back to their own universes before their atoms go poof. No riveting storytelling there, but the stars of the show are the stylish animation and the humor and that makes up for everything.

*hums spiderman theme* 7.5/10
Old 28 October 2019, 11:47   #2554
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Two so-so's for me this weekend sharing a common theme...

Hobbs & Shaw.

I liked the idea of them getting their own movie because the characters have nice chemistry in Fast & Furious... 9? I keep losing count.

Unfortunately rather than really building on that chemistry, you just get a stock action movie with too much tech-nonsense, it's not a movie that you can really get into. Hobb's family background is quaint, Shaw's sister is cute and actually a good character that should become part of the franchise, but other than that... MEH. 5.5/10. Oh wait, Ryan Reynolds and Kevin Hart are funny distractions. 6/10.

Aaaaand...

Child's Play, the reboot. There it is, the very best example of a reboot that was entirely unnecessary. Because gone is Chucky - Chucky was a doll possessed by a gruesome homicidal maniac. Chucky is a voice, Brad Dourif. You don't have the voice, you don't have Chucky.

This Child's Play does away with the whole possessed puppet aspect and instead... makes it tech-nonsense. It's an advanced AI that has its restrictions taken out of it by an angry employee (that happens in the first 2 minutes, I hardly consider that a spoiler). Gradually as the movie goes along, you see that AI get more and more tainted by the world around it. It's motivations to turn into a murdering psychopath I will not spoil, but at least that is a nice twist over the original.

So the new Chucky is expertly voiced by Mark Hamill. I'm glad it isn't another Joker-variant, he can make that doll sound ominous to the max while maintaining a childish ring to it. Unfortunately... that does nothing for the movie. The movie has some really gruesome deaths. Good stuff. But it doesn't save the movie. It has some good characters, very relatable. But that doesn't save the movie. Because it is and always will be a really lame knock off of the original that resorted to tech-nonsense. It's friggin' Skynet in a puppet.

4/10
Old 28 October 2019, 13:19   #2555
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I watched 2 80's movies last weekend, both of them rewatched...

Mad Max - Beyond Thunderdome (1985) - it was ok movie back in 80s, but it did not age as well as first 2 movies. It was nice to see Tina Turner, who now is 80 year old, as well Bruce Spence, who shows in many good movies, but I can't remember ever seeing him as main character.

6.5 / 10

Airplane (1980)
One of earliest parody comedies that I saw. What happens if pilot scared to fly again has to land commercial airplane. I remember it for scene of basketball on Atari 2600. Interestingly, I could not remember where I've seen jmmijo's steam avatar, and now after watching this movie I found it was Lloyd Bridges, who also starred in Hot Shots movies. This movie, almost 40 years later, is still fun to watch and one of best scene was when Otto - automatic pilot gets deflated...

8 / 10

Last edited by Anubis; 28 October 2019 at 14:45.
Old 28 October 2019, 13:57   #2556
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Airplane is a work of genius. Some jokes don't work anymore because you just don't know the people they are referencing, but the word plays alone are timeless. Endlessly quotable.
Old 28 October 2019, 14:55   #2557
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Airplane is landing on runway 9 .... 10 ... 13 ... (at this point everyone running )

Just like you've said - work of a genius.

It is also first comedy for Leslie Nielsen, who made quite few comedy movie after it.

In first 2 days in theater it made cost of production.

Last edited by Anubis; 30 October 2019 at 12:45.
Old 29 October 2019, 22:15   #2558
jmmijo

and hence the reason I use this Lloyd Bridges screen shot on my Steam account

I think I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing airplane glue
Old 06 November 2019, 17:03   #2559
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I saw Airplane 2 : The Sequel - and just as it is usual with sequels, this is not as good as original, but still has its moments. Quite few tunes from popular SciFi movies/tv series from time. Movie starts in Star Wars fashion. I can't remember watching this before, worth checking if you have not. Some jokes just tell you more about comedy being years ahead of everyone else - for example priest reading 'Alter Boy' magazine etc.

6 / 10
Old 06 November 2019, 17:27   #2560
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Have you ever seen the Cannonball Run? If not - put it on your wishlist and ignore the sequels.

My favorite character from that movie: the doctor.

[ Show youtube player ]