English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 21 January 2008, 19:44   #41
s2325
Zone Friend

all music from Pinball Hazard
music from Pinball Mania (Tarantula table)
all music from Franko: the Crazy Revenge
Old 21 January 2008, 19:57   #42
Mangar
Got the fever back

You guys havent heard the worst amiga music ever until you hear the music from Savage!
Old 22 January 2008, 01:28   #43
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
And just in case you haven't heard the joy that is Donald's Alphabet Chase, I've put it in the zone!

Nobody has any reason not to hate FromWithin now!
Ah, shutup.

I was 15, did it in about an hour, and was required to do it as the alphabet tune with Donald noises in it. And probably got paid £40 for it.

I got better...
http://myspace.com/fromwithinuk
Old 22 January 2008, 01:51   #44
s2325
Zone Friend

also music from title screen from Power Drive
Old 22 January 2008, 03:49   #45
oneshotdead

http://www.exotica.org.uk/tunes/unex...s/Strider.html

honestly, even back in the day, I listen to this shit and all of a sudden am capable of commiting atrocities, like kicking puppies etc.
Old 22 January 2008, 05:12   #46
Talkie

Well, well,

my personal contender for Worst Game Ever is...... nope...it's not Pac-Man for the Atari 2600. Neither ET The Extra Terrestrial for the same console.

It's....it's..... No, it's not Lemonade (70's kid game in BASIC) and no,
it's not even Battleship as a text version on early 1970's school terminals (when you only had to tag list of boring numbers, hoping to hit a target blindlessly).

No...The Worst Game Ever for me is......It's.....Gosh it's such a monstruosity..... It's...... You asked Amiga, right? Cool cos that's
exactly where it landed:

It's PSYCHO KILLLER !!! For CDTV. Remade for CD32 !!!
And so, while the first of the 2 tracks is minimalist ebm and not that bad,
THAT DARN TRUMPET SOLO AT THE END IS THE MOST UNFITTING SILLY PIECE OF MISPLACED SHIT I EVER HEARD IN A GAME. WOW !!!??

Actually I LUVVV that game because it makes me laugh. The first 3 minutes movie isn't so bad though, it's sort of intriguing.
All breaks when the game starts and you have
to click on forest photography until the game is done.

Even Herewith The Clues was more fun (at least you could spend
hours scrutinizing the files).

Nah, that trumpet solo doesn't sound awful when heard on its own, I guess the idea was "Twin Peaks", but in the context of the game, and being the only ever music you hear, it's a nullity. It's like they recorded someone in the tube for 2 minutes. No effort whatsoever.

The rule should be: you don't know bad until you've met Psycho Killer.

Cheers,

CD32
Old 24 January 2008, 21:24   #47
Stefan Lindberg
Zone Friend

Titletune from "Gravity" http://hol.abime.net/2788
Here is an recording from the Atari ST version i'm sure the Amiga also had this awful tune... but in better soundquality

*Gravity titletune by Ross Goodley*
http://www.ym2149.com/ref/gravity.ogg
Old 24 January 2008, 22:20   #48
laffer
Zone Friend

OK, this is not by far the worst game music I've heard, just need to get that out of the way.
However, it does annoy me quite a bit. This will probably surprise some people but.. well, the in-game music in Agony. I *love* the menu music but the level-music.. well it's just too loud and messy for my taste.
And after that awesome title music, it was quite a letdown.
Old 24 January 2008, 22:22   #49
Graham Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
This will probably surprise some people but.. well, the in-game music in Agony.
Well it doesn't surprise me, the in-game music is truly awful and was probably put together by a drunk tone-deaf chimpanzee.
Old 25 January 2008, 02:18   #50
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

shut it gh.
Old 25 January 2008, 11:11   #51
NLS
Ancient User

who was it?
Old 18 February 2016, 23:29   #52
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

The awful rendition of Power Drift and Galaxy Force tunes by Uncle Art still makes apparition in my nightmares O.O
(two voices songs, but after i heard what Nuke did in Wolfchild you can tell is crap!)

Then have a personal crusade agains those shoot'em ups that used FLUTE in the soundtrack unless fantasy-themed...
Old 19 February 2016, 04:36   #53
Mark Wright

In the Amiga's early days, many games featured sampled passages of "real" music, captured either from commercial recordings (usually without permission) or arcade machines (in the case of conversions). These were all terrible. Either they didn't loop properly (for which the newness of the technology back then is no excuse) or they were digitised by someone waving a condenser microphone vaguely in the direction of a nearby midi hi-fi playing a compact cassette at low volume, or at an arcade machine in another room. Rolling Thunder (Tiertex) and Double Dragon spring to mind, but there are countless other culprits.

What a shame that a pioneer like Karsten Obarski who, while all of this was going on, was knocking out genuine certified Amiga classics on his Soundtracker, was doomed only to have his astonishing music feature on either atrocious games that no-one cared about, or crack intros that preceded the very games that included those looped samples prepared by someone with Van Gogh's ear for music.

And I'm sorry Fred (Frederic Hahn) but your cover of MON's Cybernoid 2 theme for the official Amiga release is quite possibly the most offensive thing I've ever heard on the Amiga. What should have been your big break, leading to a prolific freelance career, ended in a careless, tone-deaf cacophony.
Old 19 February 2016, 08:20   #54
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Populous 2. No wonder the have hidden it under "special code then"

Mark Wright: I am really surprised you hate Cybernoid II music adaptation. I love original Jeroen's tune of course, but I found Hahn's version very good too. I can easily listen to it for hours as well as to C64 SID one.

Last edited by Predseda; 19 February 2016 at 08:47.
Old 19 February 2016, 12:52   #55
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Nobody said "Mousetrap"? I'm surprised - I owned that game only for a month or so when I was 4, and after almost 25 years I could still remember it clearly.

A single tune, looped forever in the entire game... It's the stuff of nightmares!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 February 2016, 12:58   #56
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey View Post
Well it doesn't surprise me, the in-game music is truly awful and was probably put together by a drunk tone-deaf chimpanzee.
Ouch!
Old 19 February 2016, 21:05   #57
jotd
This cat is no more

Agony first level has a lot of orc. Hits. Annoying.
Mouse trap music is an adapration of some classical piano piece. I can find the name I think its preset 50 of my clavinova.
Old 19 February 2016, 22:07   #58
Mrs Beanbag
Glastonbridge Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
Agony first level has a lot of orc. Hits. Annoying.
Mouse trap music is an adapration of some classical piano piece. I can find the name I think its preset 50 of my clavinova.
Yes I was hoping someone else would know what it was! Our church pianist has played it on occasion i am sure, it has been bothering me all day what it is

anyway...

sometimes the music i think is bad is quite highly regarded, mostly the sample-fests that seemed technically impressive back when sample-based music was a novelty. Savage has already been mentioned, but also Blood Money, the title screen music is like someone loaded a cannon full of samples and fired it at the tracker, and the in game music is a depressing dirge, also committing the sin of having the same music repeated constantly throughout the game. Which was also really common even in otherwise really good games (Chuck Rock, Battle Squadron... well i can put up with Battle Squadron's excellent tune for that long but Chuck Rock's music starts to grate eventually!)

Last edited by Mrs Beanbag; 19 February 2016 at 22:41.
Old 19 February 2016, 23:04   #59
Mark Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Beanbag View Post
Yes I was hoping someone else would know what it was! Our church pianist has played it on occasion i am sure, it has been bothering me all day what it is

anyway...

sometimes the music i think is bad is quite highly regarded, mostly the sample-fests that seemed technically impressive back when sample-based music was a novelty. Savage has already been mentioned, but also Blood Money, the title screen music is like someone loaded a cannon full of samples and fired it at the tracker, and the in game music is a depressing dirge, also committing the sin of having the same music repeated constantly throughout the game. Which was also really common even in otherwise really good games (Chuck Rock, Battle Squadron... well i can put up with Battle Squadron's excellent tune for that long but Chuck Rock's music starts to grate eventually!)
I was going to say the same about Blood Money but wasn't sure if Ray still frequented this forum, for fear of offending him! Speaking as someone who, at the time, was "in" to house music (with its carefully well-crafted use of samples) I knew that the Amiga, in the right hands, was capable of replicating authentic examples (see the groundbreaking Titanic Trax music demo). Sadly, the Jive Bunny-esque approach of misusing crowd-pleasing speech samples over a clumsy backing track reigned supreme. As they say, you'll never go broke playing to the lowest common denominator, so both ignorant magazine reviewers and easily-impressed consumers rejoiced in "hearing their Amiga speak"... The past is a different country, they did things differently then.
Old 19 February 2016, 23:40   #60
s2325
Zone Friend

Same as with Savage music.