English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 25 April 2003, 13:27   #61
spiff
Oh noes!

1) Playing arcade:
Childhood memories of me on the last day of school standing in the local pizza playing cyberlip and completing it. You had to be 16+ to play arcade games in swe and every time I managed to snuck by the “guard” guys I was ecstatic. Couple of friends of mine even got banned.. I even tried to falsify some sort of “ok to play”note from my parents.

2) Setting up a Lan “party”
Alone in dads house for a weekend, invited all my friends over and their hardware..
Spent 2 hours setting the lan stuff, played descent.. and then found the liquor..
Got pissed a hell, shot suff with the air gun, descent spinned even more and passed out on a couch.. The next day I woke up to the smell of puke, my buddies sleeping all over the place and the toilet jammed.

3) Emulation
I’d say the whole “scene” thing with the rise and fall of Damaged cybernetics, Nesticle.. it was like soap in real-time. But for a specific game memory its getting the new “cracked” neo geo emulator (gekko?) playing cyberlip.. It felt like I was 13 again almost cried..

4)Getting my amiga
My dad had hyped me for 4 months while he was abroad working. Saying that once he got back He’d buy me what computer I wanted..
The first thing I ever played was chase HQ, the tune still rocks.

5)Playing halo with my little brother.
The first time he beat me at a game with out me playing like a moron just to make him happy.. I was so proud. *sniff*
Old 01 May 2003, 02:23   #62
drunkensailor

my top 5 in order, the first 3 things made me cry and still make me cry when I talk about it

1: shenmue 2, 4th disk the phoenix flying around, it stunned me it was beatiful, I could believe it and I stood crying in front of my tv screen and noticed how much I love sega

2: the first time I popped in shenmue 2, my first shenmue experience, everything looked so great, the chinese fiddles, music, orchestrated, the crowds selling all kinds of things, like in reallife and I felt I was actually in hongkong , later on I got shenmue 1 and I love the series to death

3: the 20 minute entrance clip of panzer dragoon saga, beatiful orchesrated music, evrything sayd in panzarees(language designed for the game!!!) and then when I saw azel from under a wall I had my eyes all wet from tears, another beauty by sega!!

4: first time I played pirates! couldn't stop playing, and since tnen I play it so much I must've played hundreds of hours, funny thing is back in 1989 my unlc'es and my father were playing pirates! on the amiga, I was on vacation my one of my unclesand I saw a picture of the tavern adn I saw those meanlooking scurvey sailors and I couldn't sleep for the next 3 days

5: playing gta3, I couldn't believe it, I could do ANYTHING i would like to do in a 3d game?? wow

Old 04 June 2003, 23:08   #63
child of Thor

In chronological order:

1. My uncle lending me his ZX81 and i typed out a game called 'Chopper strike'. I could move it around the screen and dodge rocks.The helicopter even looked like a helicopter!! I was hooked by the idea of being able to control the action - books and films got relegated to silver and bronze (my uncle got his computer back a few years later!)

2. Getting an Atari 800XL and disk drive(tape loading times suddenly seemed so slow), and playing the 'Alternate Reality' rpg's.....i was lost in them for a couple of years(real time).

3. Getting an Amiga (600 ). The graphics and sounds were something else! Speedball2 two player, Hunter(3D game go anywhere do anything!), SWOS, Cannon Fodder,Gods,F1 grand prix, UFO enemy unknown(Xcom), Heimdall 1+2,Pirates......the list is nearly endless - all great games and great momments.

4. Getting into PC's very late(like 2yrs ago!). Civ2, Call To Power1+2, Shogun Total War and many other decent strat games.

5. Still waiting. But not so hopefull - publishing companies are killing the industry by turning out the same old stuff over and over. What i'm hopeing is that they will ditch the present format and go back to a more bedroom style of development - if only to save them money so they don't keep going bust and turning out more drivel to save themselves

Last edited by child of Thor; 04 June 2003 at 23:30.
Old 07 June 2003, 15:27   #64
Incomparabile

Send a message via ICQ to Incomparabile Send a message via MSN to Incomparabile Send a message via Yahoo to Incomparabile
1) My first games for Amiga: the compilation "International Arcade Action" by Wicked Software MIA

2) Winning the easy race in Indianapolis 500 legally and also crashing the other cars

3) A tournament of Golden Axe with three friends

4) Street Fighter 2 in the arcade

5) Emulation of Amiga in PC. Strong emotion...
Old 07 June 2003, 22:59   #65
Sigfrodi

Send a message via MSN to Sigfrodi
Such a hard question!!

Let's say (chronogically) :

- 1 : My 1st playing on my 1st machine, a Philips Videopac+. The game was Munchkin, a Pac Man clone. That was in 1982 (I think) and I was 6! The begining of a long adventure!

- 2 : Burning the power supply of my Atari ST afetr a 20 hours non stop session of Dungeon Master...

- 3 : Finishing the last level of Dune 2 on Amiga with the Atreides with only 2 casualties

- 4 : Playing Ultima VII on my PC. The game was released in 1992, and I could get it only on 1995!

- 5: Kicking the Dark Lord's butt in Dungeon Master for the first time since 4 years on Amiga... Which is another way to say the same as Incomparable : WinUAE and AmigaOS always have their place on my PC since I discovered WinUAE!!
Old 21 June 2003, 00:44   #66
Deadraque

1. First Amiga 500
2. First Game on very old PC (Leisure Suit Larry, took me hours to answer those stupid questions, yea well i was like 10 years +/-)
3. First time on simcity, was my record playing 68 hours in a row with a friend.
4. Syndicate (the intro was a killer and game was WOW)
5. Elite, Fallout 2 and Diablo (Best games i ever played)

Some other moments playing with the ..... of my first girlfriend lol lets stay serious hehe.

Old 21 June 2003, 16:40   #67
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Stick out tongue

Quote:
Originally posted by Deadraque

2. First Game on very old PC (Leisure Suit Larry, took me hours to answer those stupid questions, yea well i was like 10 years +/-)
And how did you feel later on when you found out all you needed to do was press Alt-X to skip the questions?
Old 23 June 2003, 12:03   #68
Deadraque

Euh lol....

Guess what, i didn't know that, even now i never knew... well we learn each day, but as i am never using walkthrough's or cheat it can explain my ignorance, okok i agree i cheated on 1 game (Simcity 1 with the letters FUND if i remember right).

Old 22 August 2003, 02:15   #69
BobRedthorp
Huge member

Right! here we go...

1) Playing Space Ivaders in a local pub standing on a bar stool at the age of 4

2)Playing Pacworld in a local pub standing on a bar stool at the age of 4

3)Playing the table top version of Gouls and Ghosts also as a young chap.

4)Getting every Star in Super Mario 64

5)Going to the Gameon event in Edinburgh (also shown in London) and seeing the History, Future and Culture of the Video Gameing Industry as we know it!:eek

Heres the website for gameon:

http://www.gameonweb.co.uk/

Id love to go back and waste more of my time there!
Old 22 August 2003, 07:40   #70
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I want to add one moment to my list.

To play Radiant Silvergun on my Saturn. Maybe that's not the best shmup ever, because it has some flaws (Mainly in the power-up system), but boy.. it's probably the coolest shoot em up ever, it has some EVIL boss designs, some AMAZING levels, WACKY chains, INCREDILE soundtrack... the list goes on.

When Treasure was developing this game, for sure they were thinking "We are going to make the ULTIMATE shoot em up"
Old 22 August 2003, 23:00   #71
JudasEZT

1- Looking the first computer in my life. An ZX Spectrum 48k running "ManicMiner". superb classic

2- Having our spectrum, playing "Deathchase" like a mad. superb classic.

3- "FlyingShark" on speccy. superb classic. My passion for shootemups starts with this speccy conversion.

4- Our Amiga. first game we had were Dragonninja, and it was really cool in that time. I was amazed its graphics looked like a coin-op. Nobody at my entire school had an amiga, but lot of them know it. But thats not the fourth moment. the fourth moment was to play KickOff from DinoDini. No other game excepting its sequels (KickOff2, PlayerManager and Goal!) got me more hooked, and makes me get real pleasure to play a videogame. superb classic.

5- Play MetalGearSolid on PSX. what a experience. a superb classic.

Also I got impressed with Driver and actually GTAIII and ViceCity. Ive got more experience with amiga demoscene. seeing demos and developing demos. cool experience of amiga demoscene, A SUPERBCLASSIC.
Old 23 August 2003, 08:50   #72
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Oh yeah, Metal Gear Solid.....

The Metal Gear series is maybe the best game series ever. I Loved both Metal Gear games on the MSX, and Metal Gear Solid indeed was an amazing experience. If I ever get a PS2, the main reason will be Metal Gear Solid 2.
Old 23 August 2003, 21:08   #73
Jherek Carnelia
Dazed and Confused

1. Searching out pubs that had Asteroids machines and playing doubles games with my mates - one would do the directions/firing, the other would do the hyperspace/smartbombs and thinking 'I wish I had this at home' and now I do have thanks to MAME but it just dosen't seem the same on my own

2. Playing Jackson and Livingstone fighting fantasy books and then discovering 'Sphinx Adventure' on the Acorn Electron - one of the few games I've ever completed...

3. A friend lending me his A500 and being amazed by the intro to 'Shadow of the Beast' which I still love to watch, even though I can't even get past level one!

4. Gunship 2000 - probably my favourite Amiga game ever, and one I still play now.

5. Moment of heresy - Battlefield 1942 for the PC. I just love this game, it reminds me of my youth in the Army!

@ Jim - I remeber playing a game called Codebreaker on the Amiga some years ago, I believe it was on a magazine coverdisk - if that was yours, well done! I played that for hours!
Old 19 September 2003, 01:43   #74
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

My revised Top Gaming Moments.

1. Getting my Amiga500.
2. Witnessing SOTB for the first time.
3. Playing the sublime Wind Waker.
4. Experiencing the beautifully atmospheric ICO for the PS2. Gorgeous.
5. The online universe of Freelancer. If only you could transfer your save game between servers
Old 19 September 2003, 15:42   #75
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

You gotta put Ocarina of Time above Wind Waker in the end though right? That game simply blew me away. Wind Waker was an absolutely superb game, but it was only superb. Ocarina was simply breathtaking.
Old 20 September 2003, 00:31   #76
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

@KG
I havent played Ocarina yet but Ive got it free with Wind Waker. Ive heard its better so Im really looking forward to playing it after WW.
Old 16 October 2003, 12:11   #77
barbaricworm

1:getting my first computer acorn electron with elite.
2:getting my atari st fm and hearing robocop speak
3:getting my first amiga and playing team17 games. alien breed was my fav and other classics like walker and stardust, skidmarks,swos,mortalkombat were also a classics.
4:seeing doom on a pc for the first time.the game was running on a p60 it looked amazing.alot better than my 486dx 66
5:mariokart on the snes with the first iss games kept me busy for hours

Old 17 October 2003, 01:10   #78
ravepants

loving

1: Hearing a sound sample of a voice on an A500.

2: Getting my A600.

3: Discovering demos and the scene.

4: Getting my A1200.

5: Playing superfrog and Another world.

God I loved AGA! ; )

Old 10 January 2004, 17:12   #79
Marcuz

just a quick add- on:
fool's errand on pc in november 2001
fool's errand on amiga the last month
Old 10 January 2004, 17:58   #80
fisken uno
Zone Friend

Damn... this is difficult. Guess I'll have to make it 6 instead of 5.

1) The NES.

I remember my first gaming experience was the NES. I didn't own one myself, but a friend of mine did and you could rent games in a small shop nearby so we'd play every game they had. And it was just amazing, I'll NEVER forget my first impression of Super Mario Bros or Zelda. But Ice Climber is also a REAL classic as it came with the console back then.

2) Getting my A500.

...and soon after found lots of friends because back then the Amiga was indeed a socializing thing - even in the small village I lived in. So I would get up early in the morning just to bicycle over to my best miggy friend and check the latest games. Games I really, really remember from those days include Super Cars 1/2, Lotus 1/2/3, Walker, New Zealand Story, Flashback, Twin World, Barbarian (Palace) etc. And of course then I had my first encounter with...

3) Sierra and Lucasarts adventures!!!

It's hard to describe the feeling I had when I first saw Police Quest and Zak McKracken and even more Space Quest III and Monkey Island. I was so excited by the storylines, the graphics and the "interactiveness". I dreamed that I would one day create my OWN adventure games. Well, I had a go at SCI Studio but got pretty tired of it :/

4) First Person Shooters.

Times changed and I bought a PC. And so I became an early sucker for Doom, then Quake, then Half-Life. To me that's the three ULTIMATE FPS-ers. After Half-Life I really haven't bothered any more because I consider the genre to be "completed".

5) Discovering "lameulation" (Akira's term ).

Yes, I really really have to include this one - because a couple of years back I had simply accepted the fact that I would just never be able to play the old classic amiga games again, since I'd sold my Amiga because nobody used 'em anymore. BUT. The discovery of WinUAE... Brought back some sweeeeeet memories.

6) Discovering (or re-discovering) "the community".

Yes, it was indeed a kick to find out that so many people are still into retro machines. And these guys are not geeks or dorks, but just really nice guys burning for the gaming experience - just like yourself