English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 01 November 2010, 23:24   #1
Dreedo

Megadrive pad with my A600

I heard that the old SEGA pads were compatible with Amiga's.

I just wondered if they can be used for games that require a joystick? To be honest i've never heard of an Amiga game that officially supports a joypad, so i imagine they can be used in place of joysticks in certain games?

More specifically the lotus series of games, i just dont think it'd be nice playing a racing game with a joystick (i've never tried it anyway), and was wondering if a SEGA pad can be used instead of it.

Also i heard from some sites that a SEGA pad can damage your Amiga if you use it with it, just wanted to check and see if that was true or not.
Old 01 November 2010, 23:28   #2
Jimbo

Hey

You can use a pad with every Amiga game that requires a Joystick. They are made exactly the same apart from the stick is chopped of to have a pad

I find Megadrive pads very good on the Amiga, and no they won't damage a single thing.

Enjoy using your pad.

Cheers
Old 01 November 2010, 23:32   #3
Dreedo

Thanks for the quick reply Jimbo. Told me everything i needed to know.
Old 01 November 2010, 23:58   #4
Dreedo

Just asking, does a Megadrive II controller still work as well as a normal Megadrive pad?
Old 02 November 2010, 00:49   #5
Amiga1992

YEs, it works.
I use a Sega 6 button Megadrive pad with my Amiga (best game pad ever conceived by mankind :P)

What doesn't work is the second buton (C) except in some games. For those you need a MASTER SYSTEM type pad. I want one myself.
Old 02 November 2010, 00:52   #6
Jimbo

The 3 button megadrive pads the 2nd button works fine. Bonus for Project X

I keep my 6 button one as player 2, as you are correct 2nd button does not work.
Old 02 November 2010, 02:06   #7
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
The 3 button megadrive pads the 2nd button works fine. Bonus for Project X

I keep my 6 button one as player 2, as you are correct 2nd button does not work.
I have Sega GEnesis MEgafire pad and C does not work. I don't think it works.
Old 02 November 2010, 03:21   #8
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

I have the Genesis Megafire pad too. Button C works fine, but not for all games.
Old 02 November 2010, 03:46   #9
ChrisUnionNJ
Amibay Mod/Staff

Wow that one is still around!!

Chris
Old 02 November 2010, 04:58   #10
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
I have all kinds of joypads (aka castrated joysticks). The best still is the CD32 (I reinforced the D-pad!). Second best is a microswitched Quickshot (2 buttons that are the same).

Then the pads: an original Master System (2 buttons) & Genesis 6-button clone (only A + B works).

The PS2 adapted for Amiga was a near miss: I hacked it to use on the pc...

No, I never owned a Honeybee CD32 nor the Zipstick...
Old 02 November 2010, 06:41   #11
Fabie
Banned

for the 2nd button to work on all Amiga games ....a pull-up 1K resistor must be added between pins 9 and 7

I done a schematic in a tread

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?...+button&page=2
Old 02 November 2010, 06:48   #12
Cammy

I think WHDLoad has a problem with the second button on A600s and Sega control pads. If you try playing a game that uses Button 2 (C) for jump, like Yo! Joe or BC Kid in the WHDLoad-installed version, it stops working. You can only use the first button (B). But if you try the same games from floppy disk, there's no problem using the jump button.

Perhaps this could help explain why some people are reporting different results.

All Amigas are able to use 2-button control pads, since those two buttons (B and C on the Mega Drive pad) are the same as the Left and Right mouse button signals. Amigas can also support 3-button mice, but that third button isn't the same as the A button on the Mega Drive pad, but it can be rewired to work. There are only a few games that support a rewired Mega Drive pad, the ones I know of are Flashback, Hired Guns and Doom (ADoom, which supports rewired 6-button pads too). When rewired, the Start button should work too if the game supports it. The ADoom documentation should explain how to add support for rewired Sega pads if anyone wants to add it to their games.

As for games that support 2 buttons, there are heaps! Maybe over a hundred. Turrican 3, Lionheart, Fightin' Spirit, Super Street Fighter II, and lots of other good games play better with a 2-button pad.

Some people like to rewire their Mega Drive pads to make the extra buttons more useful. Since there are less than a handful of games that make use of the other buttons on a rewired pad, it might be a better to rewire the buttons on a 3-button pad so that A doubles as the UP direction, which makes playing old racing and platform games much easier than having to press up on the Directional pad.
Old 02 November 2010, 08:41   #13
Fabie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
I think WHDLoad has a problem with the second button on A600s and Sega control pads. If you try playing a game that uses Button 2 (C) for jump, like Yo! Joe or BC Kid in the WHDLoad-installed version, it stops working. You can only use the first button (B). But if you try the same games from floppy disk, there's no problem using the jump button.

Perhaps this could help explain why some people are reporting different results.

All Amigas are able to use 2-button control pads, since those two buttons (B and C on the Mega Drive pad) are the same as the Left and Right mouse button signals. Amigas can also support 3-button mice, but that third button isn't the same as the A button on the Mega Drive pad, but it can be rewired to work. There are only a few games that support a rewired Mega Drive pad, the ones I know of are Flashback, Hired Guns and Doom (ADoom, which supports rewired 6-button pads too). When rewired, the Start button should work too if the game supports it. The ADoom documentation should explain how to add support for rewired Sega pads if anyone wants to add it to their games.

As for games that support 2 buttons, there are heaps! Maybe over a hundred. Turrican 3, Lionheart, Fightin' Spirit, Super Street Fighter II, and lots of other good games play better with a 2-button pad.

Some people like to rewire their Mega Drive pads to make the extra buttons more useful. Since there are less than a handful of games that make use of the other buttons on a rewired pad, it might be a better to rewire the buttons on a 3-button pad so that A doubles as the UP direction, which makes playing old racing and platform games much easier than having to press up on the Directional pad.
are you sure that the game Flashback supports 3 buttons or more?
Old 02 November 2010, 08:48   #14
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabie View Post
are you sure that the game Flashback supports 3 buttons or more?
At least the PC versions does. Worth a try.
Old 02 November 2010, 10:04   #15
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Wow cammy that is some great info their, great tip about re-wire on the A Button to up for driving games

Tempted to do that one myself for Test Drive II

By the way I use an Asciware Fight Stick for Super Street Figher II and yes, only B-C work but thats ok Hard Kick and Hard Punch are enough for the expert Shame about no slow fireballs though!

I also have a Honeybee CD32 Pad I got recently from Paul_s and its pretty awesome but they don't go cheap however quite a few games have and Emulators CD32 Pad option again Super Street Fighter 2, however still prefer my Fight Stick.

Another nice option for Amiga with nice Arcade feel is Quickshot Pro Joystick which is 2 button and works on Mastersystem/Amstrad/Amiga by selector switches and also has two cables which make it great if you plu it into 2 Amiga's like I do, I have my A1200 Tower and Desktops both hooked up to it.

Can post pics if needed but don't want to clutter the thread unless they are wanted...

Steve.

Last edited by fitzsteve; 02 November 2010 at 10:10.
Old 02 November 2010, 14:34   #16
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Not sure its of any help and sure youve tried but I seem to remember updating my BC kid slave and it worked with my Sega pad

Yo Joe! WHDload is patched to use second button jump CUSTOM2=1

CD32 pad is the best - Cannon Fodder CD32, Brian Lion CD32, Chaos Engine CD32,SSF2 and any games WHDload Team members have patched Golden Axe, Midnight Resistance

: Flashback would be great with a CD32 pad patch

Last edited by Retro1234; 02 November 2010 at 14:44.
Old 02 November 2010, 17:17   #17
Amiga1992

I remember with my floppy games that most games accepted the Master System 2nd button but NOT The Sega Genesis one. Games as old as R-Type 2 would have 2nd button functionality on a Master System pad (seems like 2nd button on a Master System pad sends the same signal as SPACE BAR)
Old 02 November 2010, 17:22   #18
s2325
Zone Friend

Is it possible that joypad can damage Amiga?
Old 02 November 2010, 17:46   #19
Dreedo

Jimbo said earlier that joypads wouldnt damage the Amiga.
Old 04 March 2013, 16:37   #20
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
When rewired, the Start button should work too if the game supports it. The ADoom documentation should explain how to add support for rewired Sega pads if anyone wants to add it to their games.
Supporting all 6 buttons? That would be incredible. Any link to that documentation?