English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 October 2006, 07:23   #1
keropi

Question What should I use to clean the contacts between motherboard-csppc?

I am experiencing some reboots mainly when I first power-on my 4000, after a while working those reboots don't happen, so I guess cleaning is needed... but with what??? isopropyl alcohol? or just a clean cloth?
Old 11 October 2006, 10:51   #2
Jope
-

Isopropyl alcohol is good.. Use a lint free cloth or swab to scrub the connectors.
Old 11 October 2006, 13:02   #3
keropi

at the end I got a spray special for electronics...
Old 11 October 2006, 15:04   #4
Jope
-

Just a spray is not often enough, you need some kind of mechanical abrasion with a soft, lint-free instrument.

Look out for static electricity..
Old 12 October 2006, 03:30   #5
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

you know, I probly deserve to get flamed here, but I have the best method for cleaning contacts like card edges and slots was simply white spirit vinigar (or lemon juice )and a warm damp cloth.

I picked this method up when I had a zx80/81 and Oric (cartridge based) contacts were forever getting dirty...

just note that both lemon juice and viniger are acetic acids and if you dont wipe it off with the damp cloth enough whom knows what mess it will amke of your electro circuits
Old 12 October 2006, 03:54   #6
sarek2k
E.A.B Addict and Proud

Send a message via MSN to sarek2k
@Zetro your not the only one m8 i have my own solutions for cleaning things too but the've always worked for me!

For instance way back in the day on the Amiga when i had many scene trading friends i used to clean my labels off disks with turps worked great on all but the very cheapest of disks or those by verbatim / bananna they would react to the turps (white substitute etc), but for those piles of labels you needed something extreme i was always carefull not to get it anywhere near the disk just on the labels! Leave for 5 mins peel off easy peasy no sticky residue or anything!

as for contacts on ram i always used a yellow duster and a bit of polish i never had a memory simm go down on amiga! the worst contacts where the silver ones they would oxidize loads!

I now think i've overtaken you in the flamming stakes Zetro lol

In my personal opinion anything you use to clean contacts like you've just said is fine as long as you don't leave it exposed to chemicals for too long it should be fine!

of course as with anything is some exceptions!
Old 12 October 2006, 05:05   #7
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
I just use a pencil eraser and dust off any residue, works fine.
Old 12 October 2006, 07:00   #8
Jope
-

That eraser will be very difficult to get in the fast slot.
Old 12 October 2006, 07:05   #9
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
I was thinking more of the card that plugs into it not the slot.
Old 12 October 2006, 07:47   #10
keropi

I shall spray the parts now and blow them with compressed air (as said on the instructions , air or wipe) it says I can even use it when the equipment is working lol
tried it on a metal part, it evaporates soon and completelly leaves the surface clean!
Old 22 October 2006, 03:33   #11
Secret Vampire

Be careful with electronic cleaners, some of them contain lubricants which leave a residue that may do nasty things...

I have an RCS fusion 40 which I bought from somewhere (Amibench possibly) as non-working, when I got it it had been sprayed all over with some such cleaner, or possibly WD40, which had reacted with the chip legs and sockets, leeving them green and corroded. Needless to say, it was highly unstable, though by pushing the chips firmly into their sockets I was at least able to get it to boot. I eventually sorted it out properly by pulling all the chips, and getting to work on the board with some extremely nasty PCB cleaner and a toothbrush, followed by flushing the board with copious amounts of isopropyl and leaving to dry, the chips got the same treatment.
After that, it was still unstable, but significantly less so than before.

Edit: for cleaning slots, I usually use a piece of card with isopropyl on it, plug it into the slot a few times and it will wipe any dirt off the contacts, but I'm not sure if it would work properly on the A3/4000 fast slot as the design is different to card edge connectors.