English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: What Amiga do you game on? ("region")
I play NTSC games on my NTSC Amiga and the PAL ones that work. 1 2.13%
My outlet is 60Hz, but I have a converter to play all the PAL games. 0 0%
My outlet is 50Hz, and play PAL games. 35 74.47%
I game on emulators, so I can do both. 9 19.15%
Other (comment if you want!) 2 4.26%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 September 2018, 22:21   #21
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Yes, a load of z's replacing s's for some strange reason etc...
On the plus side, I did hear that as "zeds" when I read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
...and weird pronunciations of words like aluminium and route
On the negative side, I still don't get the aluminium thing...
(At least we changed the spelling and don't JUST mispronounce it.. ;-)
I do get bothered about the football/soccer thing. If it is SUCH a big deal to call it football, why is it Sensible World of Soccer????

Then again, I totally get that we shouldn't be calling it football as it's not a ball and you are generally discouraged from using your foot with the ball.. ;-)

Wait, what was this thread about again? Oh, NTSC and PAL...
This weekend I am hoping to try the ntsotopal app to see if that will allow me to run things like TanksFury without having to BOOT my 1200 in PAL mode.
I probably "should" force my 1200 into PAL when it boots, but I am really hesitant to pull a chip and bend a pin. I don't want to break my 1200.
Hey, I wonder if there could be some tweak in the ROM to have it always boot to PAL? I softboot my ROM with my ACA1230 anyway.. Probably not..
Old 22 September 2018, 00:59   #22
TjLaZer

I use NTSC as much as possible as I’m use to it. My original Amiga was a 1000 and I remember the first few years all the software being NTSC, then as the years went on and the Amiga getting more popular in Europe more PAL stuff came out. Some of it ran on NTSC, but part of the bottom was missing which was ok. But others did not run. And since the 1000 doesn’t have ECS could not be switched to PAL. Later 500/2000’ and newer could so that was a big plus.
Old 22 September 2018, 02:52   #23
Photon

The options are planned so that devs may tally options 1, 2 and 4 later to decide whether to invest the time. There are 3 options for NTSC and only 1 for PAL because an NTSC game doesn't need to be optimized to run full framerate on PAL. It runs just fine with a smaller screen, as we know. The work comes in when a dev maximizes PAL performance and is then faced with a potentially time-consuming and sometimes impossible NTSC port. If the audience is there, he may decide to put in the time or plan the game so that it will run full framerate on NTSC as well.