English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 18 September 2018, 18:50   #2661
PeterK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
the problem happens even if I leave 4-5 files even if the folder is on AmigaOS Hard Disk (i repeat it only happens with some types "data" files)
Can not reproduce this problem with some empty files test1.data - test7.data. Icon_lib.exe shows them as tools, and my library as project icons. Maybe you have a problem with the contents of these #?.data files caused by DefIcons? Disable DefIcons or try to find out what DefIcons detects for these data files. If that doesn't help send me enough of your data files to reproduce this problem.
Old 18 September 2018, 22:32   #2662
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post
Can not reproduce this problem with some empty files test1.data - test7.data. Icon_lib.exe shows them as tools,
Yes, I had noticed this, the problem is only on some particular type of data file (I attach 2 files that are enough to see the problem)

Disabling DefIcons does not change anything, DefIcons on AFA OS is an extra option, "Icon_lib.exe" I attach quote author:

Therefore icon_lib.exe searches first in "Sys:Prefs/Presets/Deficons/" and then
in "env:". It is also necessary to edit each of the def_icon's "Default Tool"
to use YOUR preferred program/utility.

From AfA_OS Version 3.96 on the icon library is compatible with the "DefIcons"
program, so you can copy it back to WBStartup if you have removed it before
because of compatability issues.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 19 September 2018 at 13:01.
Old 18 September 2018, 23:40   #2663
PeterK

Ok, I can confirm your problem. No matter which setup I use, icon_lib.exe alone or only my icon.library or my library with AfA, I always get a constantly busy window showing only waystat.data. Maybe I should test that with ThoR's LockSmith tool later to see if there is a Semaphore lock in Dos or Workbench. I think it's not icon.library related at all.
Old 18 September 2018, 23:50   #2664
AMIGASYSTEM

As you may have seen from my second video with icon_lib.exe + Icon.library have no problems, i have them only if it is executed "RemLib"

With RemLib disabled AfA OS does not use "Icon.library" and the problem mentioned does not exist
Old 18 September 2018, 23:57   #2665
PeterK

But I have no RemLib magic trick in use and the problem exists in all three cases. It's a timing problem for a deadlock to occur or not.
Old 19 September 2018, 00:19   #2666
AMIGASYSTEM

Strange that this happens to your AfA-OS, redid a video where you can see that i use icon_lib.exe + Icon.library (no RemLib) and everything works regularly without problems (if the discussion annoys you, we can close here).

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 19 September 2018 at 13:01.
Old 19 September 2018, 00:59   #2667
PeterK

Dear Carlo, why do you think that I won't believe you? No, I still trust in you and your experience with this issue.

Nevertheless, it behaves differently on my system. AfA_OS with my library installed but icon_lib.exe v53.4 is activly working as you can see from the "DEAD CAT" string (same as in your last video), it hangs on my system, believe it or not ...

Last edited by PeterK; 22 September 2018 at 21:32.
Old 19 September 2018, 01:17   #2668
AMIGASYSTEM

Peter i highly esteem you, we are both old and we have no reason to say falsehood, you are a good person, kind and helpful.

Your AfA-OS is not very nice and does not seem to work well either (joke)

I have 3 AfA-OS (icon_lib.exe v53.4) and they all give me the same result, look at the other two:

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 21 September 2018 at 09:12.
Old 19 September 2018, 01:40   #2669
AMIGASYSTEM

The arcane discovered, with "icon_lib.exe" + "Icon.library" (no RemLib) copy "DefIcons" in WBStartup and you will eliminate the problem

Probably RemLib somehow blocks "DefIcons"
Old 19 September 2018, 04:04   #2670
PeterK

No, I already have DefIcons in my WBStartup drawer. No, it has nothing to do with AfA, icon.library or DefIcons, because it also happens without AfA_OS, DefIcons, ASyncWB, or AutoUpdateWB, and with icon.library 45.1, too.

The bad file is your theater.data. I can rename it, but that doesn't help.

When I change the 2. byte from $1A into $00 then the deficon appears immediately.

When I leave the $1A as it was, but make the file just shorter, it's also loaded faster. As a 64 kB file it takes "only" 9 seconds to load, but with the original size (629 kB) and contents it takes 4 minutes to load the deficon.

Hmm, does not happen on WB 3.1 or on a standard OS 3.9, so we have to do more investigations tomorrow.

Seems to be a bug in one of the DataTypes, works fine without AddDataTypes.

Last edited by PeterK; 22 September 2018 at 21:22.
Old 19 September 2018, 10:41   #2671
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
The bad file is your theater.data.
"theater.data" like all the other files .data of that folder belong to the game "Microcosm" that seems to work well.

I also found the problem on other "good" files, I'm not a developer but I think those files contain some code not supported by the control system, it may be that they have an unknown data compression or other cause, thanks for your help,
Old 19 September 2018, 13:02   #2672
AMIGASYSTEM

Ciao Peter, from a test done with a CD created by me reinforces what i mentioned above, i noticed that with "icon_lib.exe" + "Icon.library" + "RemLib" "show icons" it is slower than "icon_lib.exe" + "Icon.library" - "Disable RemLib" and also the result is different (project icon, program icon, image icon), see video.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 21 September 2018 at 09:14.
Old 19 September 2018, 14:36   #2673
PeterK

The datatype descriptor DEVS:datatypes/MacSND causes the slowdown on my system.

When I remove MacSND everything works fine. Don't put it into a subdirectory of DEVS:datatypes, because subdirectories are also scanned for datatype descriptors.

@AMIGASYSTEM
Yes, AfA's icon_lib.exe displays tools for unknown icons and my library projects, if the file is not executable. Didn't watch your last 2 videos.

Last edited by PeterK; 19 September 2018 at 14:46.
Old 19 September 2018, 15:40   #2674
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
The datatype descriptor DEVS:datatypes/MacSND causes the slowdown on my system.
My friend, you are great, I was also not wrong when I talked about bad interpretation
Quote:
Didn't watch your last 2 videos.
If you like the nice workbench the nice icons and the nice Amiga applications, you have to see the two videos afterwards I will eliminate them gladly
Old 19 September 2018, 16:49   #2675
hexaae

Yep MacSND dt is quite buggy and should be removed from ALL WBs.
On my system, using Prefs/WBPattern it was also causing freezes while scanning through volume PICS: displaying filtered files based on the picture dt formats installed. When MacSND was also installed the requester populating list freezed.
Old 19 September 2018, 17:39   #2676
PeterK

Yeap, the datatype scanning can really be a pain. For example, when I try to load an IFF file into IconEdit, I can not load it from my data partition UFOs: with dozens of drawers and thousands of archive files in the root, because the datatype system scans all the files to detect possible IFF images, and that takes ages.

@AMIGASYSTEM
I made my library more tolerant now for your buggy Aros icons which were created by AfA_OS. Only the TC020 version 499v is attached here for you, my friend:

Last edited by PeterK; 22 September 2018 at 21:21.
Old 19 September 2018, 19:14   #2677
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:

@AMIGASYSTEM
I made my library more tolerant now for your buggy Aros icons which were created by AfA_OS. Only the TC020 version 499v is attached here for you, my friend:
Thank you very much Peter, now the compatibility of icon.library on AFA-OS is total, only that little problem remains (project icon, image icon, as shown in the last video you did not see) but I do not care.
Meanwhile now on AfA-OS with your icon.library on Dopus4 now you can see well all types of icons including those of OS4.
Old 20 September 2018, 22:22   #2678
PeterK

Added HAM8_baseCMAP.iff

This is a small IFF file and an icon with the 64 base colors of the HAM8 screen again, but this time the colors are sorted in the same order as they actually appear in my HAM8 FullPalette.prefs file, too. System and MWB colors coming first and mouse pointer colors at the correct position etc. You can delete the old HAM8colorsCMAP.iff and the icon.
Old 22 September 2018, 20:36   #2679
PeterK

The icon.library 46.4.500 has been released on Aminet:

http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/IconLib_46.4

Ok, the HAM8 mode is done now, but I'm already thinking about HAM8 v2 with only 27 base colors instead of allocating all 64 pens. This would probably be a more flexible solution, because the system, MWB and mouse pointer colors could be set to their usual RGB values as always and there were 26 free pens left for all other applications. There is not much to change in my current concept to try that out in the next days ...

... oh no, with only 27 base colors the icon quality is significantly lower. Maybe 48 base colors could be a better compromise ? ...

Last edited by PeterK; 23 September 2018 at 17:54.
Old 23 September 2018, 20:43   #2680
AMIGASYSTEM

Ciao Peter,icon.library 46.4.500 it's perfect on all my Amiga systems.

"LoadModule", on Aminet there is a more recent version LoadModule 45.15