English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 03 September 2018, 10:47   #2261
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
That ending though... I'm just too stupid to get the meaning behind such things, I had to look it up. Shockingly abrupt, I'll leave it at that
Yeah, the ending is a bit...
Old 10 September 2018, 10:31   #2262
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Finally got around to seeing the Hitman's Bodyguard. On the surface its a very cliche movie with a shallow story already done numerous times in the past decade, but fun characters played by exactly the right actors makes for a great viewing experience. Samuel L. Jackson seems to have dusted off his Zeus persona from Die Hard 3 and given it a spit polish, works great.

7.5/10
Old 15 September 2018, 17:08   #2263
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Cars 3. Let's face it, Cars 2 is the worst movie Pixar ever produced; still good for the kids I'd wager. For some reason people don't have much love for the first one either, but I happen to love it. Its a wacky world in which you see something new every time you watch it, its so chock full of tiny details.

Cars 3 is a return to form. It is a bit of a copy and a continuation of the first movie and to me that is a good thing, this story is what the second movie should have been about. The graphics are staggering in this one, some scenes look almost photo realistic. And the soundtrack! Better than ever.

But above all else this movie is just a whole lot of fun for the entire family.

7/10

The Predator

Ho boy did I run run run to the cinema to see this one. So, checklist. Is this a good Predator movie?

* it has predators: check
* it has the predator theme: check
* gore and death: double check
* it is full of explosions and gunfights: check
* it is about a ragtag bunch of (male) wise-cracking soldiers: check
* ... and one non-military woman that can kick ass: check
* people absolutely and completely hate it because it isn't Predator 1: check

Added in this movie:

* loads of so bad it's good humor: check
* actually doing something interesting with the Predator lore: check!

Good - god - I - love - this - movie, I had an amazing time watching this. Humor may seem like it would ruin the movie but no, not at all. It just adds to the fun and gives the movie its own face. It's 80's/90's throwback all the way with plenty of references for those aware of Predator trivia. The movie expands on the lore of the Predator in a way that to me gives a little more backbone to the series without changing anything about previous installments while opening up a possibility for more growth for future movies. Having seen this, I really do look forward to seeing more. Not that I'm going to get any, because of course... everyone hates it. How could they not .

My only complaint: the movie is in a bit of a hurry to show you as much as it possibly can in the 2 hour runtime so you do not get to savor the moments as much as you would in the original duo of movies which were nice and slow and detailed. That makes some of the scenes especially in the latter half a bit jarring and could have done with better editing. But meh, it didn't kill my enjoyment.

So yeah on the scale of modern action scifi movies, I rate this:

8/10
Old 17 September 2018, 13:41   #2264
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

While waiting to get (as usually) BlueRay with latest SW movie, changed my mind and got it online for 20 bucks. (first movie I got online, even I have ~30 movies on movies anywhere thanks to license that came with BR disks)

So this weekend I finally saw Star Wars: Han Solo Story (2018)

I heard mixed messages about movie and wanted to check how bad really can be. It ended up to be much better then what I was expecting to be. It has old 80's movie charm while effects and visuals are up to date with today's technology. Characters are really well selected and they complement SW universe.

Many little details, fast storyline and connection of dots to how Han, Chewbacca and Lando met, Qi'ra (how can't you love Emilia Clarke in any movie?! ) and Driden Vos (Paul Bettany - Vision/Jarvis in marvel movies) complement movie with nice wired twist.

And of course, there is funny and well made droid, first time with women voice (Phoebe Waller-Bridge) and funny name L3-37.

Lando : Do you want anything?
L3-37 : Equal rights?

Good movie, worth watching probably more than once, just to get all details.

8/10

@Gimbal, glad you also liked Hitman's Bodyguard. I can just imagine what threat we are in with second movie.
Old 17 September 2018, 15:11   #2265
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
I heard mixed messages about movie and wanted to check how bad really can be. It ended up to be much better then what I was expecting to be. It has old 80's movie charm while effects and visuals are up to date with today's technology. Characters are really well selected and they complement SW universe.
I also watched "Solo: A Star Wars Story" on Saturday night and thought it was quite good
Old 17 September 2018, 15:40   #2266
Ian
Global Moderator

The Solo actor though has all the charisma of a cucumber. 100% wrong choice. Copied hans mannerisms pretty much spot on, just not 'cool enough to pull any of it off.

Bearing in mind this would be when han was at his cocksure best.

Other than that the film was a lot better than the pre film hype suggested. Ron Howard to the rescue. Would love to see him being given a trilogy and not Johnson.
Old 17 September 2018, 16:23   #2267
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The Solo actor though has all the charisma of a cucumber. 100% wrong choice. Copied hans mannerisms pretty much spot on, just not 'cool enough to pull any of it off.

Bearing in mind this would be when han was at his cocksure best.

Other than that the film was a lot better than the pre film hype suggested. Ron Howard to the rescue. Would love to see him being given a trilogy and not Johnson.

I actually think he did play well fail scumbag he tried to portrait. Probably has the same ego issues like Ford.

Tell you the truth, I can't think of an actor I would rather see play Han.

Interestingly this is second SF movie in past year people main complain is about main male actor. (Valerian being other movie)
Old 17 September 2018, 17:21   #2268
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Good question, who should play a young Han. Probably the same actor who should have played Valerian Need to think about that one.
Old 17 September 2018, 17:55   #2269
Ian
Global Moderator

I reckon Ansel Elgort, baby driver etc. would've been a good shout.

But whats done is done. Quite telling that Alden was sent to acting lessons during the shoot lol, shame they didn't do it with Hayden when he stunk up episode 2 and 3 (although 3 wasn't that bad)
Old 19 September 2018, 13:04   #2270
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
I reckon Ansel Elgort, baby driver etc. would've been a good shout.
That would be probably more interesting movie...

Last edited by Anubis; 21 September 2018 at 16:36.
Old 21 September 2018, 12:19   #2271
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah that's a good choice for a young punk.
Old 21 September 2018, 14:24   #2272
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
No Country For Old Men. This movie gave me some Blade Runner vibes. Really slow, not much story... but stunning and thrilling nonetheless. Absolutely my favorite performance of Javier Bardem, who plays a character creepier and deadlier than even Hannibal Lecter. This one's a must-see. 8.5/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Yeah great movie, need to see this again as it must have a decade ago when I watched this
...so was bored last night and decided to watch this again; great movie.

Javier Bardem is awesome in this and truly psycho; that sceen with the Gas Station attendant