English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 05 April 2019, 17:07   #301
bloodline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinW View Post
Could someone summarise at what point this is now after 15 pages of thread please?

That's certainly some insane speed!!
Ok, so let me describe what Omega currently is: It’s basically a 68000 Emulator (using the free open source Musashi code, as used in other projects like mame), with just enough of the Amiga OCS hardware emulated to get AmigaOS 1.3 and AmigaOS 2.x booting (OS3 boots, but does something odd with the display) and running os legal software.

The lack of hardware emulation overhead means that it can run fast with fairly modest host resources, but means that not many games/hardware banging software work properly. (That said games like Lemmings do work, but with display glitches).

All I/O (graphics, mouse and keyboard) is via a small set of functions, to allow easy porting to new hosts (particularly hosts which don’t have an operating system). Currently, while in the development phase, it uses SDL2.0 as its host layer which allow it to compile on any platform with SDL2.0 library available.

The only way to currently load software is via ADF floppy disk images, and four floppy disk images are supported (Amiga hardware limitation).

I also have some interesting features in development, which will make it more a useful on Baremetal systems.

Any questions, please ask.

Last edited by bloodline; 05 April 2019 at 21:23.
Old 05 April 2019, 18:08   #302
kamelito
Zone Friend

Will it be possible with a switch to just run under RTG for maximum speed those eliminating HW emulation overhead ala Draco?
Old 05 April 2019, 18:27   #303
bloodline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
Will it be possible with a switch to just run under RTG for maximum speed those eliminating HW emulation overhead ala Draco?
Yes, that’s the plan, the 68000 Emulator has unrestricted access to all RAM above the lowest 32meg, so drivers can be written in AmigaOS which just access the host hardware directly.

Obviously if any of the emulated Amiga DMA channels is off, then that hardware feature doesn’t get any host CPU time... Though currently, I don’t have any method to stop the CIAs as AmigaOS relies heavily upon them.

My target is the RaspberryPi
Old 27 May 2019, 00:22   #304
R4M

Did someone download the file

Specifications%20Gayle%20-%20Manual-ENG.pdf

and is willing to post it in the zone? It was mentioned some posts ago, but it is not available there anymore.
Old 27 May 2019, 03:45   #305
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4M View Post
Did someone download the file

Specifications%20Gayle%20-%20Manual-ENG.pdf

and is willing to post it in the zone? It was mentioned some posts ago, but it is not available there anymore.
It's in the EAB FTP site under "~Uploads/DH/PDF Schematics, Service & User Manuals/Gayle/Gayle.pdf" so all you have to do is look up the FTP site.
Old 01 June 2019, 09:45   #306
bloodline

Unfortunately, real life events have overtaken me. Work commitments, the impending arrival of my second child, and other things not going as planned so I’ve had to put this project on hold for a little while.

But the source code is available, feel free to have a play/fork/branch etc., I will monitor it and should be able to answer questions (do a few bits here and there).

Old 01 June 2019, 10:59   #307
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Congratulations to you and to the mother

Probably that between diapers and bottles of milk you'll have five minutes for the/a rest
Old 05 August 2020, 18:27   #308
Radertified

I'm a big fan of BMC64 on the Pi. Almost instant on, zero lag and being based on Vice means support for everything (disks, tapes, carts, expansions, etc).

If this emulator was anything like BMC64, it would've been something special. It's a shame that development stopped but it's understandable. Fingers crossed that someday development picks up again
Old 05 August 2020, 20:17   #309
Samurai_Crow
Total Chaos forever!

Dr. Michal Schulz is doing a standalone JIT for running 680x0 machine language on 64-bit ARM. See https://github.com/michalsc/Emu68.
Old 05 August 2020, 20:24   #310
Radertified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
Dr. Michal Schulz is doing a standalone JIT for running 680x0 machine language on 64-bit ARM. See https://github.com/michalsc/Emu68.
That's awesome. Now for the custom chips
Old 02 November 2020, 16:20   #311
Rugruth

Awesome!

I wish you the best luck with this project, imagine this inside the upcoming retrogames Amiga case/keyboard. Im already drooling.
Old 06 November 2020, 16:11   #312
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radertified View Post
That's awesome. Now for the custom chips
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugruth View Post
Awesome!

I wish you the best luck with this project, imagine this inside the upcoming retrogames Amiga case/keyboard. Im already drooling.
Yeah, interesting times indeed...

I wonder how far we are from a proper full-blown baremetal A500/1200 solution... is it feasible? Amiberry / UAE4ARM / Omega / etc... the pieces are out there mostly, we just need to clean it up a bit!
Old 05 December 2020, 15:19   #313
bloodline

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan View Post
Yeah, interesting times indeed...

I wonder how far we are from a proper full-blown baremetal A500/1200 solution... is it feasible? Amiberry / UAE4ARM / Omega / etc... the pieces are out there mostly, we just need to clean it up a bit!
The biggest issue with bare metal is that the emulation needs to handle the (host hardware) I/O as part of the emulating process (where the host operating system usually does this). My project was only really to get amiga hardware emulation “good Enough” to get AmigaOS booting, from there I am planning to write exec style devices to allow AmigaOS to interact directly with the actual RaspberryPi hardware... this reduced the emulation burden (hopefully eventually down to just the CPU).

This is slow going as I really have no time (my full time job as a Public Health Analyst and COVID is taking all my time!). But Thomas Richter has given me some really helpful explanations as to how to write exec style devices, so I’m doing little bits here and there!

Last edited by bloodline; 06 December 2020 at 09:42.
Old 06 December 2020, 10:40   #314
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline View Post
My project was only really to get amiga hardware emulation “good Enough” to get AmigaOS booting, from there I am planning to write exec style devices to allow AmigaOS to interact directly with the actual RaspberryPi hardware... this reduced the emulation burden (hopefully eventually down to just the CPU).
So let's say full chipset compatibility is not a main goal, but you aim more for an Amiga-compatible (DraCo style) system? Cool anyway!

Quote:
This is slow going as I really have no time (my full time job as a Public Health Analyst and COVID is taking all my time!). But Thomas Richter has given me some really helpful explanations as to how to write exec style devices, so I’m doing little bits here and there!
And I'd say you job is waaaay more important right now! Kudos!
Old 06 December 2020, 10:49   #315
bloodline

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan View Post
So let's say full chipset compatibility is not a main goal, but you aim more for an Amiga-compatible (DraCo style) system? Cool anyway!
Yes, that’s good description... Essentially an ARM Draco, but with more chipset compatibility (since I’ve implemented way more of the chipset emulation than I initially planned (I was just having too much fun)). So many games and demos do actually work if they aren’t too fussy about timing (this will never be, and was never intended to be, as good at hardware compatibility as WinUAE).

Quote:

And I'd say you job is waaaay more important right now! Kudos!
But far far more boring!

Last edited by bloodline; 06 December 2020 at 10:54.
Old 06 December 2020, 12:04   #316
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Yes, that’s good description... Essentially an ARM Draco, but with more chipset compatibility (since I’ve implemented way more of the chipset emulation than I initially planned (I was just having too much fun)). So many games and demos do actually work if they aren’t too fussy about timing (this will never be, and was never intended to be, as good at hardware compatibility as WinUAE).
...but you never know!
Old 26 December 2020, 17:30   #317
bloodline

I recently found this project... it seems the perfect candidate to provide the Host Layer for Omega... if I can just find time!!

https://github.com/jhhoward/Faux86

-edit- and here is the base layer:

https://github.com/rsta2/circle

Last edited by bloodline; 26 December 2020 at 18:01.
Old 26 December 2020, 18:37   #318
Radertified

Quote:
Worth noting that BMC64 uses circle-stdlib so Circle is tried and tested for some baremetal emulators.
Old 12 April 2021, 00:53   #319
pixie

There's some hardware being setup for classic with the same philosophy of this project:
https://github.com/captain-amygdala/pistorm
Old 15 May 2021, 10:04   #320
skan
Dream Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie View Post
There's some hardware being setup for classic with the same philosophy of this project:
https://github.com/captain-amygdala/pistorm
Not really the same as pistorm is linux hosted and far from being bare metal AFAIK?