English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 11 June 2018, 22:35   #21
Rednael

Perhaps anyone could xcopy their existing 3 disks of the OCS version to ADFs?
Old 12 June 2018, 00:26   #22
Superman

I could never get the 3 disk versions of worms to run on my A500. Always got a guru meditation as I think it may need 1mb chip ram. The 2 disk one in tosec labelled as (demo Playable) seems to run ok though but probably not the full game.

http://archive.org/download/Commodor...0of%202%29.zip

http://archive.org/download/Commodor...0of%202%29.zip
Old 12 June 2018, 01:24   #23
scuzz

I have the three original disks that I play on the A500 Kickstart V34.5 running 1.3 WB and with a 590, though the disks run from boot. Its important to have a second disk drive cus what I found was that it hangs on the disk insert but will progress if the drive can find the disks itself.

I have 1.7 Chip RAM Public.

The disks make no mention of AGA. I also have the disks I use on the A1200 that are AGA.

Works just fine, not forgetting you also need the code booklet to input the code to get into the game.... Played quite a bit tonight but then I'm a ' Nutter '. So funny. Takes a while to load on the 500 but once in the game plays smoothly.
Old 12 June 2018, 22:09   #24
Rednael

For me the OTT version seems to be working (OCS, 512K chip, 512K fast), but all I can find anywhere is only disk 1 (of 3). Would be great if the other two are somewhere available.

I'll try the playable demo too.

EDIT: Just started-up the OTT version again, but that seems to be the "Director's cut" version (as it says at the top of the screen in the menu). :|

EDIT2: Ok, so now I'm really confused, because, the playable demo works just fine, but that's not the confusing part... The menu and background looks exactly the same as the OTT version which has the text "Director's cut" at the top of the screen. I think the OTT version is actually the original Worms that I'm looking for. (and isn't the Dirctor's cut only available in AGA anyways?)

Last edited by Rednael; 12 June 2018 at 22:18.
Old 12 June 2018, 22:22   #25
DamienD
Banned

I used to get confused by that too...

Look on HOL at the screenshots for Worms ECS/OCS, it also shows "The Director's Cut".
Old 13 June 2018, 10:26   #26
DamienD
Banned

@Rednael; have you tried using this set?

... Worms (1995)(Ocean)(M3)(Disk 1 of 3)[cr FLT][a].adf
... Worms (1995)(Ocean)(M3)(Disk 2 of 3)[cr FLT].adf
... Worms (1995)(Ocean)(M3)(Disk 3 of 3)[cr FLT].adf

Edit: ok, this set requires 1MB Chip RAM so no good for you...

Last edited by DamienD; 13 June 2018 at 13:12.
Old 13 June 2018, 15:28   #27
DamienD
Banned

Rednael, via WinUAE I've just copied Disk 2 & 3 from the .IPFs --> .ADFs

No errors when copying via XCopy.

In The Zone! for you but obviously test.
Old 14 June 2018, 19:46   #28
scuzz

Just a little more information ....

The original Worms game has no copy protection processes as the game creators suggest you back up your original disks and work from copies anyway. So disks can be simply copied from the Workbench. Also they work if decrunched from ADF files. There are three disks TW1, TW2 and TW3. 1995 Team 17 Software published by Ocean.

The original game 1995 Team 17 works on the A500 no problem. The game will make use of the AGA chipset on 1200 to add extra features and enhance the presentation of the game. Also if you have more than 1MB of memory it will add an additional bank of samples.

The original game also says Directors Cut on the game menu which is odd.

I was not able to play this game on the 1200 with the GVP if I recall. Also I sometimes had problems with the hard drive.

There is a CU Amiga Demo of the game which kinda works the same and will also use the disks 2 and 3 from the original game.

There is a later game called Directors Cut I believe that is for AGA machines.

And so I did what advised and created a back up copy and put my originals back in the box and fired up the A500. Its best to have two disk drives. At the point the game needs disk 2 it will fire up the Copy Protection request for the three number code. The Code Booklet is Pages A to F, Columns A to Q and Lines 1 to 50 so there is 6x17x50=5100 possible answers so I wouldn't even bother try guessing, cus the resultant numbers are also compounded by being 3 numbers albeit there can only be 999 possible combinations.

Have fun.. I had a blast and I soon became an x worm. Nutter.

The original game has the red lettering green grass box with two worms on the grass. May help when buying the game.

http://www.scuzzscink.com/amiga/car_0108/car120760.jpg

scuzz
http://www.scuzzscink.com/amiga/car_001.htm
Old 14 June 2018, 21:43   #29
Rednael

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Rednael, via WinUAE I've just copied Disk 2 & 3 from the .IPFs --> .ADFs

No errors when copying via XCopy.

In The Zone! for you but obviously test.
@DamienD
Wow thanks! Good thinking btw.
I don't seem to have enough rights to get into the Zone, but if I don't find a way in, I'll repeat your xcopy trick!
Old 14 June 2018, 21:49   #30
Rednael

@scuzz

Thanks. Yeh, back in the days I've played this game a lot on my vanilla A500. So I know it should work. Only the Fairlight cracked version seems to require 1MB chip and anything else but OCS (as it also says in the intro).
Old 14 June 2018, 22:19   #31
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednael View Post
@DamienD
Wow thanks! Good thinking btw.
I don't seem to have enough rights to get into the Zone, but if I don't find a way in, I'll repeat your xcopy trick!
How do I get access to The Zone?
Old 14 June 2018, 22:26   #32
Rednael

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzz View Post
... So disks can be simply copied from the Workbench. Also they work if decrunched from ADF files...
Hahaaa... That seemed to be really good advice!

So, I opened up the ADF and there is this ReadMe from Fairlight. A lot of ranting on Team17, but also some lines that it might work on OCS and that you'd be able to save some RAM by altering the Startup-Sequence in such a way that only "WORMS" is loaded.

Still need to enter (any) 3 digit code, but I've managed to get it started-up on my A500 with 0.5M chip + 0.5M fast and disabling DF1.

Now, I can get into the game menu. Am able to browse through all options and such. But then when I select "Start Game" and "League" (or any other type)... it crashes everytime.

Baby steps I guess...
Old 14 June 2018, 22:31   #33
Rednael

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Check! Got it. Downloaded them!
Many thanks!
Old 14 June 2018, 22:56   #34
Rednael

Works perfectly. Happy Wormage!
Old 14 June 2018, 23:11   #35
Matt_H

Dream17 has IPFs, which I assume are un-cracked originals. There is no disk-based copy protection, so you can load them into an emulator and create ADFs from there with the utility of your choice for use on real hardware.
Old 15 June 2018, 03:09   #36
scuzz

One other thing is that if you use the hard disk installer and try to locate the game in anything other than the main boot volume ie in a subdirectory the game will not be able to find the second disk stage and refuse to let you enter code numbers. Just hangs. That happened to me on the 1200 till I recalled having to put the game in the main Work volume.

Wish you lot hadn't made me play .. I've been at it all night. Man is this game addictive. Much better with the hard drive. The install game also advises of issues not having enough memory and how to get round it.

Gotta go.. got this worm keep badgering me ' Come on then !!! '
Old 16 November 2021, 02:02   #37
Turrican2k

Is it possible that the "Worms Disk 1 OTT" version no longer asks for disk 2 or 3? I often play a round of Worms of this version, but I've never been asked to change the floppy disk! When will you be asked to do this?
Old 16 November 2021, 19:59   #38
Zak
ZapĀ“em

I have 3 existing ADF's called WormsA500 but I think it's the version you already got.
Old 18 December 2021, 02:05   #39
Turrican2k

Disk 2 and 3 only contain language packages that are supported from 1.5 MB Chip-Ram or higher. Only from 1.5 MB Chip-Ram you will be asked for disk 1 and / or 2 after you have been asked for your language. With a simple Amiga 500, only the first disk is required.