English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 February 2024, 21:47   #141
mahen

Oh man, hadn't seen the .shop address. Insta-ordered the super DX !
Old 14 February 2024, 22:33   #142
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Pre orders live now at Thalamus digital.
Some link ?
Old 14 February 2024, 23:09   #143
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Some link ?
https://www.thalamus.shop/product/cecconoid-amiga
Old 15 February 2024, 08:40   #144
jurassicman

Unfortunately it seems that it isn't possible to pay taxes before shipping... this means that the item will be kept at Customs for weeks (at least here in Italy...) and that there will be an unknown amount of money to pay at delivery...
It is better I don't say what I think of brexit...
Old 15 February 2024, 09:31   #145
warci

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassicman View Post
Unfortunately it seems that it isn't possible to pay taxes before shipping... this means that the item will be kept at Customs for weeks (at least here in Italy...) and that there will be an unknown amount of money to pay at delivery...
It is better I don't say what I think of brexit...
yeah this is super annoying. I don't get why UK shops don't do this by default, it makes a massive difference to the customer
Old 15 February 2024, 09:55   #146
Daedalus

I expect it's because all the extra paperwork and accounting required isn't deemed to be worth the effort for what is probably a relatively small company. The number of physical sales to the EU is likely less than it costs to hire an accountant to deal with EU VAT, for example. It's not a big deal for large companies but can be crippling for small companies.
Old 15 February 2024, 11:51   #147
zzbylu
Saberman

And will there be a digital version of this game available for purchase, for example, on itch.io?
Old 15 February 2024, 12:10   #148
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzbylu View Post
And will there be a digital version of this game available for purchase, for example, on itch.io?
Yep:

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ffman View Post
Digital will be available when the physical starts shipping.
Old 15 February 2024, 15:37   #149
warci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I expect it's because all the extra paperwork and accounting required isn't deemed to be worth the effort for what is probably a relatively small company. The number of physical sales to the EU is likely less than it costs to hire an accountant to deal with EU VAT, for example. It's not a big deal for large companies but can be crippling for small companies.
maybe... don't really know what's involved tbh.
I grabbed the WTF edition anyway
Old 16 February 2024, 17:15   #150
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurassicman View Post
Even if you could pay taxes before, it'll probably still get held hostage at customs because you somehow need to pay extra anyway. It's the EU way.
Old 17 February 2024, 01:06   #151
ghosty777

I'll purchase the basic release because i'm only interested in ADFs these days. It's a shame H0ffman didn't name those detractors* in the game beside their idiotic comments. You're too much of a gent H0f.

*Lamers
Old 17 February 2024, 11:18   #152
h0ffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosty777 View Post
I'll purchase the basic release because i'm only interested in ADFs these days. It's a shame H0ffman didn't name those detractors* in the game beside their idiotic comments. You're too much of a gent H0f.

*Lamers
Oh I would have named them but they were so confident in their convictions that they posted anonymously.
Old 19 February 2024, 20:30   #153
AmigaBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ffman View Post
Oh I would have named them but they were so confident in their convictions that they posted anonymously.
I don't understand why they lack so much confidence in their constructive criticism. Everyone knows the quality of a game is determined by the number of colors used Imagine if they ever went to a museum with some Ansel Adams and Henri Cartier-Bresson. They would spontaneously combust! Congrats on the game Hoff. It is a banger and that is the best secret area I have ever seen. Can't wait for the soundtrack CD too Maybe a vinyl release in the future?
Old 19 February 2024, 21:21   #154
DisasterIncarna

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaBill View Post
I don't understand why they lack so much confidence in their constructive criticism. Everyone knows the quality of a game is determined by the number of colors used Imagine if they ever went to a museum with some Ansel Adams and Henri Cartier-Bresson. They would spontaneously combust! Congrats on the game Hoff. It is a banger and that is the best secret area I have ever seen. Can't wait for the soundtrack CD too Maybe a vinyl release in the future?
ah yes, the more colours the better something is, now if you excuse me i have just progressed to the final stage of Shadows over Loathing. (if the amiga was born to have something 'modern', it would be the loathing games.).

Liiked your last playthrough of cecconoid btw bill, nice seeing hoffman looking over your shoulder as well, i was hoping to burn as many easter eggs into my brain before i play it, tho seeing is 1 thing, actually being able to do it is another.
Old 19 February 2024, 21:34   #155
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

This game looks so amazing.

Great work@ the H0ff...
Old 19 February 2024, 22:02   #156
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaBill View Post
Everyone knows the quality of a game is determined by the number of colors used.
It certainly helps to at least use every primary colour. In the same way that 1-channel audio sounds crap because there is no possibility for harmony, 2- and 3-graphics like this look boring because the eye is not fully stimulated. No one would have bought such a game back in the day. But deliberately crap graphics on the Amiga seem to be a fad at the moment for some strange reason :-( There are plenty of very old platforms from the 1970s that really do have limitations like that, so for primitive software like this it would be more technically challenging, interesting and authentic to target those rather than a machine like the Amiga which was always about pushing the limits.

Last edited by Minuous; 19 February 2024 at 22:25.
Old 19 February 2024, 22:58   #157
AmigaBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisasterIncarna View Post
Liiked your last playthrough of cecconoid btw bill, nice seeing hoffman looking over your shoulder as well, i was hoping to burn as many easter eggs into my brain before i play it, tho seeing is 1 thing, actually being able to do it is another.
Thanks! That is the farthest I have gotten so far. The screen I died on is brutal! I can't wait to give it another go. Yes, I am thankful H0ffman was in the stream. I wouldn't have found those Easter eggs and they are a blast!
Old 19 February 2024, 23:40   #158
AmigaBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
It certainly helps to at least use every primary colour. In the same way that 1-channel audio sounds crap because there is no possibility for harmony, 2- and 3-graphics like this look boring because the eye is not fully stimulated. No one would have bought such a game back in the day. But deliberately crap graphics on the Amiga seem to be a fad at the moment for some strange reason :-( There are plenty of very old platforms from the 1970s that really do have limitations like that, so for primitive software like this it would be more technically challenging, interesting and authentic to target those rather than a machine like the Amiga which was always about pushing the limits.
The cool thig is that everyone has different aspects of gaming that are important to them. Pushing the technical limits of Amiga is certainly something to enjoy and an admirable goal to achieve. If those are the types of games you enjoy, I totally respect that. For example, the Hamulet demo that recently came out pushes HAM to the max and is gorgeous. I love it. For me the most important thing is, "Is this game fun to play?" I am having an absolute blast with Cecconoid regardless of the capabilities of the platform. Games are works of art and I love the black, white, and red palate. Not all games need more than one primary color, or any color at all. The palate is the same as Centaur, one of my favorite pinball designs. Also, this is a port of a modern PC game in which the graphics are a deliberate aesthetic choice, so changing them would be changing the DNA of the game. I am glad H0ffman chose to keep the original graphics. I think it is way cooler to have a modern PC game (2 if you include Eugatron) running like butter on one 880K Amiga floppy disk with an incredible soundtrack, which to me is a great technical achievement in and of itself. And oh man, the twin stick aspect is so fun! If anyone ever tries to make an Amiga port of Inside (hint hint ) I would hope they also keep the original black and white graphics instead of adding color just because they can.
Old 20 February 2024, 01:52   #159
h0ffman

Quote:
In the same way that 1-channel audio sounds crap because there is no possibility for harmony.
Oh I dunno, 1-channel, even 1-bit music can be pretty punchy.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1655121250?t=00h04m32s

Quote:
so for primitive software like this it would be more technically challenging, interesting and authentic to target those rather than a machine like the Amiga which was always about pushing the limits.
I mean, I will contest the use of the word primitive here. The game doesn't show off it's technicality with lots of colours, it's much more subtle than that. The large number of enemies, 1000 particles, 6 channel music with 4 channel sound effects in-game, the ridiculous number of collision detection methods which had to be developed to make it run. This all on a base Amiga 500 so I'd say there isn't anything primitive about it. The limits have been pushed, you just can't see them.

But hey, I guess it's just not for you, which is a shame because it's a blast to play, even if I do say so myself
Old 20 February 2024, 02:49   #160
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Well, is another instance of "this is why we cannot have nice things"