English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 12 October 2001, 13:19   #21
Tim Janssen

Smile C64 Basic

Believe it or not, but in 1989 when I was in the second grade of post primary school, our class had courses programming in Basic on C64. The programs we had to write were always extremely simple like:
1 PRINT ”This text goes on and on”
2 GOTO 1
RUN
Me and my mates always finished assignments first so we could play games like Arkanoid and Bomb Jack 2. What I also fondly remember is that all walls in the computer room had posters of C64 games like Frankie goes to Hollywood, Mikie and Rambo 2.
In 1990 the C64s were replaced by dull machines which could only display shades of green, could not produce decent sound and loaded programs slower than a C64. “PC’s” they were called. I was sure this was a step backwards but the rest of the class (and finally the world) had a different opinion.
Old 12 October 2001, 13:45   #22
Big-Byte
Long time member

I remember when...

We learned how to generate sounds on the BBC micro at school
Then after we would go to our local dixons (or whaterever it was called then) and program them to do the sounds constanty when someone pressed a key.

It was great fun waiting for some unsuspecting person to come along and see them jump!

I had to do advanced logo as apart of my BTEC course way back in 1989.. It was an artifical intelligence program (Traffic lights)
I remember it actually had multiple turtles on screen at once and I did four cars all moving independantly and they stopped at the lights when they turned red.

Really cool at the time....
Old 13 October 2001, 03:03   #23
Amigaboy

I actually have a request, but it's not for the Amiga so I won't create a new thread

Raft Away River
Dinosaur Discovery

Anyone have these 2 games for the Apple II ? I can't find them

Old 13 October 2001, 04:34   #24
Amiga1992

Hey, C64 basic! teh very first year of my secondary school we had a bunch of C64s and coded Basic... what a bore, I already knew all that shite, I had a C= since 1989! So what did I do? well play games.

Teh teacher at teh beginnig of the year said all teh shite we were going to make, so I went ahead and made all that crap in one day, loaded it in a disk and scratched my balls the whole year

I remember I brought programs I made to school and we had lots of fun. liek teh crying baby sound from the commodoer manual..

I even brought a program with horse racing.. .we bet which horse would win. bwahaha, teh teacher wanted to kill me
Old 13 October 2001, 09:14   #25
Amigaboy

You like the word "teh" more than "the" don't ya Akira?

Old 14 October 2001, 19:50   #26
Amiga1992

It's the keyboard at work. I don't like it. Somehow it makes me, always, transpose the 'e' with whatever comes first.

If you pay close attention, check out my posts during weekends. Those are posted from home, and they don't have the nasty E transposition error. I can't be arsed to edit al the posts each time, sometimes I edit sometimes I forget

I think I should pull out MAvis Beacon to fix this error! She always told me I had too many )) However the C128 keyboard is a dream to use, so I dont make them errors as much as at work
Old 15 October 2001, 00:50   #27
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

@Amigaboy
I was very shocked that I had neither Apple II title you requested. Believe it or not, both "Dinosaur Discovery" and "Raft Away River" are still being sold by Greygum Software for the Apple II/Acorn/BBC! And I believe they may both even be available for the PC.

Let me know if you want the BBC version of Dinosaur Discovery...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dinosaurdiscovery1.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	1004  
Old 15 October 2001, 03:21   #28
Amigaboy

Sure mate. It won't be the same experience, but it'll do until I can grab the Apple II version

Old 15 October 2001, 04:18   #29
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Here ya go, then...
Old 15 October 2001, 04:33   #30
birdy-scc
Banned

I had a look for those files too, and I thought I had all the Apple stuff.

Maybe it was a trick question?
Old 15 October 2001, 04:38   #31
Amigaboy

Thanks Twistin

I'm hoping it wasn't a trick question. If so, then my entire childhood was a lie!

Old 04 February 2002, 17:00   #32
Paul
RIP Friends

I have spent the weekend looking though my Disks and all the ones that came with the A500+ I got and found the following edutainment titles.

Kid Pix - 1991/1993 - Broderbund Software/ Electronic Arts -
3 Disks

Noddy's Big Adventure - 1992 - Jumping Bean Co. Ltd.
(BBC Enterprises Ltd.) - 4 Disks

Noddy's Playtime - 1992 - Jumping Bean Co. Ltd. (BBC Enterprises Ltd.) - 3 Disks

Fun School 4 (under 5's) - 1991 - Europress Software - 2 Disks

Fun School 4 (5's - 7's) - 1991 - Europress Software - 2 Disks

Better Maths - School Software Ltd. - 1 Disk

Amiga Junior Typist - School Software Ltd. - 1 Disk

Weather Watcher - Genisoft - 1 Disk

Vol.1 Counties of the British Isles - Genisoft - 1 Disk

Game, Set & Match - Genisoft - 1 Disk

Calendar Quiz - Genisoft - 1 Disk

Words & Numbers - Genisoft - 1 Disk

Kid's Type (4's - 8's) - Genisoft - 1 Disk
Old 04 February 2002, 17:22   #33
oldpx

We had a lab full of PCs with mono monitors and 512K ram! We used to play block out and out run all the time.

Old 04 February 2002, 20:32   #34
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Paul, is there any way to post those titles? I know myself and at least one other person who would be very delighted to have these wonderful additions to our stash of goodies!
Old 04 February 2002, 20:35   #35
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

On a similar note, I was bidding on a bundle on ebay this weekend (that I lost due to a friend who forgot to up my bid ) that had the Amiga version of Granny's Garden. Likewise, he forgot to up my bid for The Surgeon, so I am still feeling much pain at this time. Fingers still crossed on Puppy Love...
Old 04 February 2002, 20:42   #36
DPainter

Paul: You've got a few ultra rares there, since Amiga edutainment generally wound up in dumpsters sometimes in the '90s.

I remember a long time ago that Camp Snoopy at Knott's Berry Farm had a computer cabin with rows of TI-99/4A computers running edutainment titles. That was back when adults thought that LOGO and BASIC were going to help create new super human children.

They were right! Look at us!
Old 04 February 2002, 21:42   #37
Paul
RIP Friends

I have only just been given an A500 plus (with KS 3.1 chip upgrade) and a collection (jumble) of disks, from a teacher and have never tried to create adfs, so I may need some help. I need to get a serial cable? But that will not be until the weekend. I will then have a go!
Old 04 February 2002, 21:48   #38
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

HOW TO MAKE AN ADF
http://ale.emuunlim.com/guides/adf-create.shtml

HOW TO TRANSFER FILES (AMIGA TO PC & VICE VERSA) USING A SERIAL CABLE
http://ale.emuunlim.com/guides/serial-transfer.shtml

HOW TO TRANSFER FILES FROM PC TO AMIGA & VICE VERSA
http://ale.emuunlim.com/guides/file-transfer.shtml
Old 04 February 2002, 21:54   #39
Paul
RIP Friends

Sorry Twist! It's been a hard day! I've been "playing" with my Amiga and reinstalled it! It's great to use the real thing again! I'm still sorting out disks.

I have those bookmarked! I should have said that I'll ask for help if I get stuck! Thanks anyway.
Old 04 February 2002, 21:58   #40
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

No prob, dude...I have the same deal...I will see people asking for help on these types of things on here, then when it comes time for *me* to do this, I start asking 'how to'...