English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 23 June 2013, 21:56   #1
fondpondforever

Smile Amiga os 4.1 running on cd32 with floppy drive installed.

Hello all, I have just thought about an amazing quirky idea that no one may have thought about before. Do you know if you can run amiga os 4.1 classic on a cd32 with a floppy drive installed which transforms it into an amiga 1200. I'm sure you could install something like a blizzard accelerator board to a cd32 with some physical attachments or modifications.
Old 23 June 2013, 23:15   #2
Zak
Zap´em

If you want to turn your CD 32 into "real" Amiga, there is an expansion set called "SX32". But you can use Workbench from floppy disk or CD with your set, that´s no problem. I have CD´s from an old computer magazine which are bootable on CD32, works fine.

OS 4.x is for PowerPC the far I know, there are experts around who can tell this for sure. You would need an OS below 4.0 then.

Edit: you can arrange CD32 CD´s on your PC and burn them there

Last edited by Zak; 23 June 2013 at 23:28.
Old 23 June 2013, 23:55   #3
roy bates

no and no.

you cant run os 4.1 on a cd32 and there are no(as far as i know)blizzard ppc cards that can be put to use on it.with or without some electronics in between.
Old 24 June 2013, 06:02   #4
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy bates View Post
no and no.

you cant run os 4.1 on a cd32 and there are no(as far as i know)blizzard ppc cards that can be put to use on it.with or without some electronics in between.
Yes, and no.
I mean, in theory the CD32 expansion connector is a different form factor, but has all the signals of the A1200 trapdoor.

So following that same hypothesis, you could hand wire and hook up a Busboard (Micronik, Mediator, etc) with a BlizzardPPC and then go from there. Remeber that the CD32 is basically a cut down version of an A1200 (with a different storage interface for its cdrom drive).

Good luck
Old 25 June 2013, 01:39   #5
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fondpondforever View Post
Hello all, I have just thought about an amazing quirky idea that no one may have thought about before. Do you know if you can run amiga os 4.1 classic on a cd32 with a floppy drive installed which transforms it into an amiga 1200. I'm sure you could install something like a blizzard accelerator board to a cd32 with some physical attachments or modifications.
As OS 4 'classic' is not very fast on big box Amiga's, running it on a CD32 would be about as useful as a broken joystick
Old 25 June 2013, 10:12   #6
Cymru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
As OS 4 'classic' is not very fast on big box Amiga's, running it on a CD32 would be about as useful as a broken joystick
OS 4.1 is quite fast and a great pleasure to use running on both versions of the A4000D/T.
Old 25 June 2013, 16:15   #7
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymru View Post
OS 4.1 is quite fast and a great pleasure to use running on both versions of the A4000D/T.
I have used OS 4.1, and I wouldnt dare recommend it to anyone, in a Classic Amiga at all.

It takes about a minute to boot, and eats something like 64MB of fastmem just to make it usable.

On a SAM, speedwise, works well, but then that is a better PPC architecture, than a 199x accelerator, which is a kind of a mutant low performance PPC beast.

I see OS 4.x as a nice experiment/proof of concept or even a geek toy for PPC accelerators on 68k, but not really efficient enough for every day use.

If you have a Commodore-Amiga it is best stick to an AmigaOS 3.x customized distribution. You will get an overall much better experience.
Old 25 June 2013, 21:52   #8
diablothe2nd

as the proud owner of a BPPC I'd have to agree with gulliver... OS4 is great n all (better web browsing experience albeit slower) but without a graphics card to take up some of the slack, you'd be stuck to sucky AGA resolutions and chip mem limitations etc. I doubt you'd be able to squeeze a BPPC AND a BVision in there, let alone a mediator!