English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Sprites

Old 18 July 2008, 21:22   #1
Rafal

Amiga gfx in PC DOS game??? Lamer's question.

I'm not sure if I'm asking my question in the right forum. If not, feel free to remove my post.

I like sometimes to play and experiment with old games on many platforms. I hadn't Amiga as a kid, so I'm not involved
in Amiga scene very much but now I discover some Amiga games and they rock and beat any other computer version

I have recently played with old PC DOS game called "Solidarnosc". You can find it here:
http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?id=2996

It's not very known game but it's important for me as I'm Polish and it tells a part of Polish history.

The game is buggy and doesn't work well with intro and outro graphics when run in VGA mode. It works in EGA and lesser modes.

I dicovered by chance that some game files with extension .obr (probably author's extension created only for this game) are diagnosed
as .iff files by IrfanView and can be seen as pictures (it's the only way to see VGA gfx). Some of these files display nice as .iff but other, allthough are diagnosed as .iff files too,
display badly damaged or give errors.

I don't know anything about .iff files. I used Google and it told me they are Amiga Interchange File Format. That's why I came here.

Is it possible that PC DOS game uses Amiga file format?
Is it possible to repair damaged .iff files? And where could I read something more about this format?

And another thing, if intro and end screens are stored as .iff maybe the in-game graphics are stored as .iff too? If it was true, is there a way to
rip these graphics of bigger file where they are hold together and probably with other data?

I feel like I'd like to do some ripping and I just need some hints to begin

Are there any sites about ripping graphics from PC applications? I could find sites about C64, SNES, Gameboy, Spectrum, and of course Amiga but not PC.

Sorry for the long post. Any help appreciated

Old 18 July 2008, 22:02   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

Try with Multi Ripper (MS-DOS).
Old 04 November 2008, 16:49   #3
jotd
This cat is no more

Another slightly off topic question: what is the best tool to disassemble an MS-DOS executable?
I tried pvdasm and it crashed on Cadaver.exe

answer: ida works. But it's no use since i86 asm sucks...

BTW I can answer to the original question now that I've worked on Cadaver DOS version:

Cadaver data files are packed with PK DCL, unpackable by Dynamite.

1) Once unpacked, PCMAN.DAT is the sprite of the main character. I open the file in gfx rip and the main character appears when I load the amiga palette (from a UAE palette) in amiga mode, 4 bitplanes.

2) The files LEVx.MP3 contain walls & floors for all levels. I had to create a specific program to convert them to bmp since the format is strange (gfxrip would not work)
When setting the palette to the amiga palette for those files, it works!

3) the other LEVx.MP1/2 files contains room definitions (I've rebuilt walls & floors of some rooms, I still did not complete the task but that's very promising) and the level gfx (monsters/items).

So partially the gfx from the amiga version are used in the PC version. That's the same for other bitmap bros titles (magic pockets).

I'm going to post the Cadaver rips I have done in another dedicated thread.

Last edited by jotd; 24 January 2009 at 17:28.