English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 11 October 2019, 16:41   #1
bjdcleary

Issue with icons / confusion over icon sets...?

Can anyone please explain to me in n00b terms how to fix this mess? I've replaced icon.library with Peter K's latest one from Aminet, so why are those black dots still showing, and why do the OS314 Glowicons look crap? Last time I tried I completely messed everything up. Obviously I'm missing something really obvious!

f.y.i, I'm using ClassicWB_P96 with OS3.1.4.1 and BestWB running in WinUAE. Although I'm an old-skool Amiga veteran, all this modern iconnery is a little beyond my existing knowledge and skills. I'll make a back-up of the HDF before I start tinkering again, but just wondered if anyone could tell me instantly what I need to do/change/install/edit in order to get everything looking as it should.

Many thanks in advance. :-)
Old 11 October 2019, 19:07   #2
PeterK

I have not much hope that you can fix this mess again!

You can not install OS 3.1.4.x and BestWB on top of ClassicWB_XY, that will always end up in total chaos. ClassicWB uses a lot of scripts to enable or disable certain features and stores the different versions of many files in special privat directories. Nobody, except Bloodwych, knows how this all works exactly.

The user can enable or disable features like icon support somewhere from the menu, but I don't have CWB installed to tell you where.

The CWB scripts and the stored files are located in "Sys:MyFiles/Install/Icons/". There are subdirs like "Enable" and "Disable", but all this was once made by Bloodwych for OS 3.1 and it will never work with OS 3.1.4, because the scripts would copy old libraries and an old 3.1 startup-sequence over the OS 3.1.4 files again.

Forget about it and make a fresh and clean OS 3.1.4 install without ClassicWB, which is outdated.

Last edited by PeterK; 11 October 2019 at 19:16.
Old 11 October 2019, 19:26   #3
bjdcleary

Hi Peter, many thanks for replying. That's pretty much what I thought to be honest. Although Henrik seems to think he updated some parts of ClassicWB to make everything compatible when he released the latest version of his HSTWB Installer. But yes you are probably right - I'll do a clean install of 3.1.4.1 once I've copied the complete WHDLoad collection to another drive. Thanks again.
Old 11 October 2019, 23:37   #4
cyberhead97

ClassicWB P96 uses Scalos, which causes some NewIcons issues with Amiga OS 3.1.4. Im making patches to ClassicWB to disable Scalos. This will be released with next HstWB Installer
Old 12 October 2019, 13:50   #5
PeterK

Btw, did you already check Prefs/Workbench and untick "No ColorIcons" and "No Newicons"?

Scalos uses its own old iconobject system with datatypes, which can easily cause a lot of conflicts when you change anything in the original CWB configuration.

Last edited by PeterK; 12 October 2019 at 13:56.
Old 13 October 2019, 11:53   #6
bjdcleary

I'll have a play around with it later. I'm sure there must be a way around it other than what Cyberhead has suggested and is already working on.

In the meantime I made a new HDF and installed everything manually from scratch without Scalos, and I have to say I actually much prefer MagicMenu anyway!

It seems like others have experienced the same issue:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=81157