English Amiga Board Amiga Lore


Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

 
 
Thread Tools
Old 12 October 2017, 02:46   #601
fragedthewife
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 29
Love this

Just flashed over my cortex firmware and I am delighted.

This all started with me fitting an OLDE display to my gotek running cortex which did not support the display.

Being directed to this thread and sitting with a few tins soldering up a male to male USB cable and following the instructions.

Works perfect so far.

I am sure a few questions will pop up but for me my OLED display works as does the various demos I have put at it.

Awesome

Cost me 2 tins of strongbow and a few old USB cables.

Well done !
fragedthewife is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
Old 12 October 2017, 09:06   #602
TjLaZer
Registered User
TjLaZer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tacoma, WA USA
Age: 45
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrunschen View Post
I've updated my 3D model a bit more:

The Bezel now just specifies extra space to add to the faceplate in each direction; the bevelling of the edge of the faceplate is now specified separately so you can now bevel the edge of the faceplate without extending it, and vice versa.

I've also added support for adding a rotary encoder - both with 2 and with 3 buttons: the hole is 7mm in diameter, and an 11mm-sized rotary encoder without the KY-040 PCB - something like the ALPS EC11E15244G1) - will actually fit even with 3 buttons in place already.

Best wishes,

// Christian
Cool site, but why is screen white and very faint pink 3-D model? Cannot see it very well.
TjLaZer is offline  
Old 12 October 2017, 09:57   #603
demolition
Unregistered User
demolition's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Copenhagen / DK
Age: 37
Posts: 3,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
Cool site, but why is screen white and very faint pink 3-D model? Cannot see it very well.
It is not faint for me at all.. Perhaps try another browser?
This is how it looks for me. If this also looks faint to you, perhaps your monitor/video settings needs some adjustment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gotekmount.png
Views:	52
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	54996  
demolition is offline  
Old 12 October 2017, 10:25   #604
ch40s_engineer
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Cologne
Posts: 71
hey guys, I just discovered this by accident and wanted to share it with you:

http://arananet-net.kinja.com/adapta...=1507715961901

Seems like a pretty good idea. The PCB is not very complex, but this is a beautiful solution
ch40s_engineer is offline  
Old 12 October 2017, 17:12   #605
Akira
Registered User

Akira's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: New York
Posts: 17,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch40s_engineer View Post
Seems like a pretty good idea. The PCB is not very complex, but this is a beautiful solution
Cool, but doesn't have a rotary encoder (much better than push buttons IMO) and by doing this you are locked to whatever feature set was available at the time the board was made (I am guessing Edu made the PCB before rotary encoder was an option).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrunschen
I've updated my 3D model a bit more:

The Bezel now just specifies extra space to add to the faceplate in each direction; the bevelling of the edge of the faceplate is now specified separately – so you can now bevel the edge of the faceplate without extending it, and vice versa.
This is great!

How does one go about printing that model though? I couldn't find an option to save or anything.
Akira is offline  
Old 12 October 2017, 18:30   #606
cbrunschen
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: London
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
How does one go about printing that model though? I couldn't find an option to save or anything.
At the bottom-left of the window there's a button to 'Generate STL', right next to a drop-down that allows you to choose a different file format.

Click 'Generate STL'.

After a moment, the button changes to 'Download STL'.

That STL file can then be sliced and printed as any other STL file.
cbrunschen is offline  
Old 14 October 2017, 04:08   #607
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Supamax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Monza, Italy
Posts: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch40s_engineer View Post
hey guys, I just discovered this by accident and wanted to share it with you:

http://arananet-net.kinja.com/adapta...=1507715961901

Seems like a pretty good idea. The PCB is not very complex, but this is a beautiful solution
Nice idea .
I don't like how it sticks out of the Amiga, though...
Supamax is offline  
Old 14 October 2017, 09:44   #608
kaffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 401
I've just set up a Facebook group for FlashFloppy announcements and support:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/820618618098373/
kaffer is offline  
Old 17 October 2017, 10:46   #609
Mq666
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Poznan/Poland
Posts: 42
Hi Kaffer. I don't use facebook, I don't have account there, and I don't want to have it. Is it the end of knowing anything about new versions etc for me and all the people like me? Where can I read informations about FlashFloppy, new ideas, bugs, versions etc? Is it a way to share that infos for everyone independent of facebooks and others? Eventually, is any way for reading Your facebook group without facebook account?
Mq666 is offline  
Old 17 October 2017, 11:34   #610
kaffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mq666 View Post
Hi Kaffer. I don't use facebook, I don't have account there, and I don't want to have it. Is it the end of knowing anything about new versions etc for me and all the people like me? Where can I read informations about FlashFloppy, new ideas, bugs, versions etc? Is it a way to share that infos for everyone independent of facebooks and others? Eventually, is any way for reading Your facebook group without facebook account?
I will still post here. Facebook is just another alternative.
kaffer is offline  
Old 17 October 2017, 11:54   #611
Mq666
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Poznan/Poland
Posts: 42
Ok, thanks, I thought this thread is dead, because there were no posts since few days. And today I just open github site, and I see there were two new versions of FlashFloppy I didn't know about...
Mq666 is offline  
Old 17 October 2017, 12:04   #612
kaffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mq666 View Post
Ok, thanks, I thought this thread is dead, because there were no posts since few days. And today I just open github site, and I see there were two new versions of FlashFloppy I didn't know about...
Ah true. The last couple have been pretty minor though, just cleaning up the config file support really.

I hope to have a bigger 0.9.0 release to announce soon
kaffer is offline  
Old 17 October 2017, 12:26   #613
Mq666
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Poznan/Poland
Posts: 42
Saving values from FF config file into flash of device is very important and awesome for me:-) I was thinking about it too, because I love config-less mode in FF, and I use few pendrives, so it's very usefull that I don't need to copy config files between pendrives each time. I don't tested this version yet, but can You confirm I understood it right: now we can set config parameters in config file one time only, and then can we delete config file at all, and will device store last settings until we change them or we reset them, right? If answer is "yes", then I can use any empty pendrive and Gotek will work with my previously setted parameters, right?

And second: what main changes will arrive with 0.9 version?
Mq666 is offline  
Old 17 October 2017, 14:28   #614
kaffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mq666 View Post
Saving values from FF config file into flash of device is very important and awesome for me:-) I was thinking about it too, because I love config-less mode in FF, and I use few pendrives, so it's very usefull that I don't need to copy config files between pendrives each time. I don't tested this version yet, but can You confirm I understood it right: now we can set config parameters in config file one time only, and then can we delete config file at all, and will device store last settings until we change them or we reset them, right? If answer is "yes", then I can use any empty pendrive and Gotek will work with my previously setted parameters, right?
Exactly right, and as described here: https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy...ation#defaults

So yes the benefits are two-fold:
1. You don't need a FF.CFG on every pen drive when you swap pen drives.
2. Config values are available to FlashFloppy immediately at power on, rather than waiting for the USB filesystem to initialise. So banner text can be in correct font on OLED display; PC vs Shugart interface is immediately correct; etc.

One thing to note is that with old versions of the upgrade bootloader, the Flash config will be erased when the main firmware is updated. You need to upgrade the bootloader to latest version to avoid that (see https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy...the-bootloader).

Quote:
And second: what main changes will arrive with 0.9 version?
Amstrad DSK/EDSK support. That's the last major feature tickbox before v1.0. Feature parity is important
kaffer is offline  
Old 17 October 2017, 14:41   #615
Mq666
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Poznan/Poland
Posts: 42
Thanks for explanation. I understand everything.
Mq666 is offline  
Old 17 October 2017, 20:49   #616
Higgy
Registered User

Higgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Oxfordshire
Posts: 397
Kaffer - HxC CPC .dsk support is working well. I noticed whatever .dsk format the Batman Group use for their 'single disk' version of the demo Batman Forever does not work:

https://files.scene.org/view/parties...an_forever.zip
Higgy is offline  
Old 17 October 2017, 22:17   #617
kaffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
Kaffer - HxC CPC .dsk support is working well. I noticed whatever .dsk format the Batman Group use for their 'single disk' version of the demo Batman Forever does not work:

https://files.scene.org/view/parties...an_forever.zip
DSK/EDSK is a relatively complex format to support in firmware, so it's no surprise there are some issues. Jeff did an update with more extensive support just a couple of days ago and when I announce support I'm sure I'll also have a bug tail still to chase.
kaffer is offline  
Old 17 October 2017, 22:20   #618
kaffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 401
v0.8.7a - Config-in-Flash and Eject-Status Improvements

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Downloads

- Divide the configuration flash page into multiple slots to reduce the number of erase cycles when FF.CFG is repeatedly modified
- Start in ejected state if button pressed or image previously ejected (when "image-on-startup = last")
kaffer is offline  
Old 18 October 2017, 03:19   #619
fragedthewife
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Scotland
Posts: 29
Im using the HxC cfg file do you have a specific one to use with flash floppy ?
fragedthewife is offline  
Old 18 October 2017, 09:35   #620
kaffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by fragedthewife View Post
Im using the HxC cfg file do you have a specific one to use with flash floppy ?
That is separate from the new FF.CFG text file you can use for configuring FlashFloppy's setup. You can have both the HXCSDFE.CFG and FF.CFG on the USB stick no problem.
kaffer is offline  
AdSense AdSense  
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help to open-source SAS/C Hauke Coders. General 35 26 September 2017 22:39
LCD on Gotek (with HxC firmware) christopherpm Hardware mods 1 08 January 2017 02:51
Gotek drive firmware for mounting .iso cd images Ox. Amiga scene 7 05 November 2014 05:14
Gotek drive firmware for Amiga general USB mass storage solution Supamax Amiga scene 2 20 September 2014 08:35
BlitzBasic - Is now open source Djay Amiga scene 2 08 February 2003 01:09

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:06.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Page generated in 0.20635 seconds with 15 queries