English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 07 March 2013, 01:03   #121
davideo
Amiga Tomcat

@Spanner

If you connect two Amigas together you can use the parallel ports with a program called Parnet.

I don't hink you can do the same with a PC parallel port connected to an Amiga parallel port.

Dave G
Old 07 March 2013, 13:11   #122
thomas

Amiga Explorer only works over serial cable or over network (TCP/IP).

There are other products which can transfer over parallel cable.

You always connect the cable to the same kind of ports on both ends. The serial cable is connected to the PC's COM port and to the Amiga's SER port.

A parallel cable would connect to the PAR ports of both computers.

Note that you need a special cable with crossed lines in both cases (the serial cable with crossed lines is called null modem).
Old 07 March 2013, 13:49   #123
spanner
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Amiga Explorer only works over serial cable or over network (TCP/IP).

There are other products which can transfer over parallel cable.

You always connect the cable to the same kind of ports on both ends. The serial cable is connected to the PC's COM port and to the Amiga's SER port.

A parallel cable would connect to the PAR ports of both computers.

Note that you need a special cable with crossed lines in both cases (the serial cable with crossed lines is called null modem).
Thanks

Can you please point me to a null modem cable (on ebay)but it needs to be for laptop,I have the USB rs232 cable can i use that if i get a db 25 adapter to fits in the serial connection on the Amiga..??
Old 09 March 2013, 22:11   #124
spanner
none

I had the same probs with the AE as Paulcan had so I copied the files over to the Amiga by copying them to a 720 dos disc and run shell and typed "mount PC0" to mount it so it can read it I copied the files from the disc to my hard drive and now its connected(i can see my files from the Amiga in AE )mine is Amiga OS 3.1 and A1700...
Old 10 March 2013, 14:48   #125
spanner
none

I keep getting this message "There has been a conflict accessing the Amiga Explorer resources" this is the info on the Amiga Forever site about it...

An error message like "There has been a conflict accessing the Amiga Explorer resources" usually indicates that some Windows antivirus software is locking the Amiga Explorer namespace extension while it tries to scan the Amiga. This can be solved by disabling the verification of that storage area (which normally does not even contain any Windows files that could be checked) in the options of the antivirus software."

but I don't have antivirus on Windows 7 only on Windows 8..??
Old 10 March 2013, 15:26   #126
thomas

This message also appears if you run Amiga Explorer twice. For example if the first instance hangs because the serial communication does not work properly and you run it once more, then the second instance gives this message.
Old 19 February 2016, 14:32   #127
cili7

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, but I've just signed up to post this thank you message!

I found this thread Googling problems associated with getting the Amiga Explorer software over to the Amiga from the PC.

The original poster of this thread described EXACTLY the issue I was having.

No matter what I tried, I couldnt get the full file over to the Amiga (running the "List RAM:Setup" command always had a file size smaller than the 45000 odd required).

Anyway, reading through the posts and pages... I started to get disheartened thinking that my Amiga 500 also had a faulty serial port (100% checked settings, made my own cable etc etc).

I was about to give up, and then I think 5th or 6th page in someone suggested removing the Modulator and just plugging into the black and white video out instead in the back of the Amiga.

Well, I did just that!
And removed the external drive.
And made sure that the path of the serial cable didnt cross any other cables, or near speakers, or the TV... just completely clear of anything before going into the serial port of the PC.

AND IT WORKED!!!!! I was jumping around the house!! This thing was driving me crazy.

My setup (for other newbies wanting reassurance):

Modern laptop running Win10 64bit.
I bought a $2 USB to Serial Port (9pin) dongle.
And then made a cable with a 9pin female connection at one end, and 25pin female connection at the other).

If you look at the schematic drawings for the cable layout, it's pretty straight forward. The only thing I didnt do in the wiring diagram, is make those 'doubleup' pins (where on the 9pin connector pin1 taps into pin6, and on the bigger one where pin8 taps into pin6). That was too tricky for me to solder . I had pin6 on the 9pin serial connector connect to pin pin6 on the 25pin connector. I ignored pin1 (smaller connector) and pin8 (the larger connector). All other 7 wires done as directed (remembering that the diagram you are looking at is the male (computer side). The cable plugs into this so its reverse (but the cable plug holes are numbered anyway).

Anyway, make the cable length no more than about a metre (shorter is best).

Settings wise, you need to remember that the PC AND the Amiga have settings you can change. These need to be identical (but of course the menus are completely different so its hard to find what to change!).

Here's a breakdown for the settings I used, and where I changed them.

On the Amiga, un-write protect the Workbench disk (or if that's too scary, use a copy... but you need to do it to save settings that will be changed), then double click on "Workbench 1.3" once youve put the disc in, then double click on "prefs".

In this same folder is the "Shell" command you'll need later, but for the moment click on "prefs", then click on the telephone "serial".

In Serial, you'll see on the settings required Amiga side.

I know other instructions say different, but these are the settings that worked for me:

Baud = 19200
Read = 8 (the highlighted one is the selected one!)
Write = 8
Stop = 1
Parity = None
Handshake = RTS/CTS

Then press ok.
Another menu will come up and ignore it. Press save at the right side, and it'll save the settings.

That's the Amiga side. Other than my suggestions above about removing modulator and running black and white simple video cable, and removing extra drives, and making sure no interference near that cable, go over to the pc and do the following.

PC side (next post).....

Old 19 February 2016, 14:51   #128
cili7

PC side (continued):

Go into Device Manager and open up the Ports (Com and LPT) drop down section. Then look for your USB com port (assuming you have installed the $2 ebay serial port dongle correctly).

Double click on that and Port Settings have the following:

None
Hardware

Then click on advanced,

Tick "Use Fifo" and leave the sliders up at high.

The most important bit is selecting COM1 in the window below.
Do all that and apply changes.

Restart pc.

After restarting, right click on the Amiga Explorer icon on your desktop (by this stage you've installed the correct Amiga Explorer for your OS right?). And go down to the bottom for Properties.

Under properties, check that under Connection it states:

Serial
Com1

Then under Options (next tab):

Then apply/save.

Then finally, right click Amiga Explorer again and select Setup and follow instructions to the letter.

IT WORKED FOR ME!

Thanks for all the tips in this thread years ago. Believe me there are people still reading this stuff. I hope my advice helps someone. I seriously thought my Amiga had the same problem as OP (couldnt ever get the full file over). But try my tips, they may just work for you too!

Gook luck fellow Amigos

If I helped you out, send me a little thank you (that's a lot of typing you see) . c_ili7 at mail that is hot dot com.
That's not a tech support email btw! I have nothing further to offer than what is here. Just persevere! You could try dropping transfer rate from 19200 to something slower (on all settings above), but otherwise I have nothing else to ease your pain .

I havent posted on this forum before, and its likely I wont again in the near future! But I am VERY thankful for it... and just wanted to contribute a little.
Maybe my experience (and frustration) might give someone that little bit extra motivation to keep trying. It's worth it... I have hundreds of games I am in process of bringing over, and whilst a lot of them are already online its nice to know I'm playing "my games" from 25 years ago .

Last edited by cili7; 19 February 2016 at 15:08.

Old 19 February 2016, 15:01   #129
cili7

Oh... and when you do finally get that file over to the Amiga (and after you finish giggling like a little school girl in excitement!), you'll need to format a disk to save that program... so make sure you have a disk in your collection thats formatted, or you are prepared to format (like an old save disk or something). It can be formatted (initialised) from the top menu. You'll find it. JUST SAVE THAT PROGRAM before turning off the AMIGA... it's in RAM, not on a magical hard drive that isnt there . It wont be there if you turn off Amiga. I know it sounds obvious, but very easy to flick that switch accidently without saving it first and getting carried away transferring ADF files over all day .

I ALMOST DID IT .

Old 01 April 2016, 03:39   #130
intric8
AmigaLover

I wrote a very detailed "How-To" for this process with screen-catpures and photos for those in need.

Basic Requirements for my How-To include:
-) Amiga with enough RAM to accept the size file(s) you want to transfer
-) Windows XP (or similar)
-) REAL null-modem cable ($3)
-) Amiga Explorer on your PC ($10)

If you have these 3 things and you're looking for step-by-step instructions, I hope this helps you:
http://amigalove.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=15